Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B930 - The Church of England Independence Bill 2016 (resubmission) Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B930 - The Church of England Independence Bill 2016, TSR Green Party
    The Church of England Independence Bill 2016

A BILL TO

Disestablish the Church of England so it operates completely independently from the Crown and State.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The Church of England shall cease to be the established church in England. It shall operate completely independently from the Crown and State.

Removal of State Powers in respect of the Church of England

2. The provisions of the Welsh Church Act 1914 shall apply also in England.
    3. Any powers not removed from the Crown under the extension of the provisions of the Welsh Church Act 1914 or under clauses 4 to 6 below shall be transferred from the Crown to the General Synod of the Church of England.
    4. The powers of the Crown Appointments Commission in respect of the appointment of clergy and lay people in the Church of England shall cease upon the passage of this Bill.

Status of Bishops

5. Church of England Bishops appointed to the House of Lords shall no longer be eligible to be members of the Upper House.

Supreme Head of the Church of England

6. The General Synod of the Church of England shall decide who shall be the Supreme Head of the Church of England.

Title, Extent and Commencement of Bill

7. This Bill shall be known as The Church of England Independence Bill 2016
    8. This Bill shall apply to England
    9. This Bill shall take effect from 1 December 2016

Notes

The Welsh Church Act of 1914 disestablished the Church in Wales, and so extension of its provision to England is designed to cover all matters as far as possible. This separates the Church of England completely from the state, so there is no established Church.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have allowed the resubmission of this bill under a new name.

Original: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3871583

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I have allowed the resubmission of this bill under a new name.
    It's pretty much an exact copy of B930.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    It's pretty much an exact copy of B930.
    It is a resubmission.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Abstain for now .... After a more detailed read
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It is a resubmission.
    Why do we need a resubmission?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I criticise the decision of the Speaker to extend the debate of a bill by allowing an identical bill to be submitted 14 days after it was first submitted, the threads can be merged to save the debate. Quamquam123 I agree, this submission does not pass as a second reading, the bill is identical but with a different name.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Why do we need a resubmission?
    I did enquire myself. As the name of the bill had changed the authors felt that a 2nd reading would be inappropriate. I chose not to press the matter.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Really don't see this as being different enough to justify a resubmission. The difference between the two is just two sentences.

Either way, it's a Nay as before.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I did enquire myself. As the name of the bill had changed the authors felt that a 2nd reading would be inappropriate. I chose not to press the matter.
    I am sure the majority of MPs in the MHoC do not want to debate an identical bill that ended less than a week ago, a repeat is more inappropriate, it makes me question what you think will be achieved by allowing an identical bill six days after the first bill entered cessation to be debated.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I criticise the decision of the Speaker to extend the debate of a bill by allowing an identical bill to be submitted 14 days after it was first submitted, the threads can be merged to save the debate. Quamquam123 I agree, this submission does not pass as a second reading, the bill is identical but with a different name.
    I'm given to understand that much of the previous debate was tainted by misunderstandings arising from the title of the bill. As for the time passed it has become customary to allow second readings long after a bill has expired - something I don't particularly like, but it happens. This is not so different a situation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm given to understand that much of the previous debate was tainted by misunderstandings arising from the title of the bill. As for the time passed it has become customary to allow second readings long after a bill has expired - something I don't particularly like, but it happens. This is not so different a situation.
    A second reading is when a bill is debated again after some alterations have been made to its content, a second reading does not happen with an identical bill after no changes have been made. I do not believe a different title is going to change the minds of the people who criticised the first bill, nor do I think debating the bill again is a good use of Parliamentary time if other bills were put off for this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    A second reading is when a bill is debated again after some alterations have been made to its content, a second reading does not happen with an identical bill after no changes have been made. I do not believe a different title is going to change the minds of the people who criticised the first bill, nor do I think debating the bill again is a good use of Parliamentary time if other bills were put off for this.
    Having read some of the comments I do feel that the different title will change the direction of a debate that was far from over.

The list of bills waiting is not very long.

Strange to see this back again after so long. No need for further debate.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the speaker might use his discretion to shorten the time available for discussion?

Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    An identical bill in content should be a 2nd reading. They may have needed to mention the name change within the bill, but no need for a new submission!

ReputationRep:
    Aside from changing the title and emphasis to be independence of the Church of England, we have left the decision as to who heads the C of E entirely the matter of the C of E, not starting with the Archbishop of Canterbury.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.