The Student Room Group

Milz's journey to greatness!

HEY ALL

In the summer, like many other year 11s, I'll be taking my GCSEs (well, iGCSEs but whatever) and I'm hoping to do as well as possible, and that this blog might help me track my progress and maybe help others, since we're all in the same kinda boat :yy:
Any questions, tips or anything just reply or PM me if you like :biggrin:

GCSEs I took early:

MathsuuuA*

SpanishiiiiA*

Mock Results and Predictions:

Chemistry 67%yyyyyAuuA*

Biology 73% yyyyyyyAuuA*

Physics 83% uuuyyii A*iiiA*

French 88% s*ymmii A*iiiA*

Chinese 65%eyeiiyyyBuuA (but teacher expects me to get A* idk y lol)

History 73% yyyyyiiiiiiAuuA*

Drama 91% m[diiiiiii i A*iiiA*

FSMQ 88%yyyyyyyyiiAuuA (top grade you can get in Add Maths)

English Lit 80%yyyyyiAuuA*

English Lang 78%%iiiAuuA*

So as you may notice I need to work on Chinese most, otherwise with enough revision I'm hoping I'll do as well as everyone seems to think I will:s-smilie:

~HERE GOES~
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
currently writing out Chinese verbs, then I'm going to go over every topic area and for each one have;

5 verbs that relate to the topic

5 specific words for specific vocabulary

5 sentences for every verb including the vocab and more (if possible)

at least 2 extended sentences with complex structures

This is really helpful for oral practice, but if you write the characters as well as pinyin it's good for writing / reading too :smile:

EDIT: here we have the verbs (+some composite verbs which I gave up writing out because I know most of them already and I Thought doing sentences or looking at topic specific vocal would be more productive :biggrin: )
(edited 8 years ago)
Good luck Milz :grin:
Reply 3
Today I plan on going through looaaddss of Chinese sentence patterns and also possibly doing some English coursework, which is due Monday :yy:
Basically continuation of the Chinese revision I outlined in the last post:smile:

so also for oral help here's some notes I've written, including time expressions and weird diagrams for 'health and fitness' vocab (idk why I did this I felt like doodling hahaha)
Good luck ok and don't worry about Chinese :h:
加油 :smile:
( that's what the Chinese say as a form of encouragement)
You'll go very far Milz :biggrin:
:borat: I love the style of your notes :biggrin:
Nice mock grades and predictions as well - good luck: :rave::rave:
I will make sure you don't procrastinate with Pinturillo too much :wink:

But best of luck, friend :h:
goodluck milzzzz
Reply 10
Morning! ( :biggrin: may or may not have just awoken...) Today I'm going to try and totally do and finish some things!

Personal Statement (for the 6th form I'm applying to)

Write a long list of possible work experience / part time jobs I could do in summer, with Emails websites and telephone numbers ready to contact

Not get sidetracked by Netflix.... or my guitar......

Go through Chinese sentence pattern booklet (all the way from the front to the back...!) writing out the most useful ones in pinyin

English coursework final draft :yy:

So those are things I 1000% want complete do today, there are other things, but if I do them I'll post 'em as a surprise :wink:

mmsome things I did yesterday...

Spoiler

Original post by Milzime
Morning! ( :biggrin: may or may not have just awoken...) Today I'm going to try and totally do and finish some things!

Personal Statement (for the 6th form I'm applying to)

Write a long list of possible work experience / part time jobs I could do in summer, with Emails websites and telephone numbers ready to contact

Not get sidetracked by Netflix.... or my guitar......

Go through Chinese sentence pattern booklet (all the way from the front to the back...!) writing out the most useful ones in pinyin

English coursework final draft :yy:

So those are things I 1000% want complete do today, there are other things, but if I do them I'll post 'em as a surprise :wink:

mmsome things I did yesterday...

Spoiler

:yy: Sounds good, you are very proactive btw

I do shet all with my life lol

What A-levels are you planning to take?
Reply 12
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
:yy: Sounds good, you are very proactive btw

I do shet all with my life lol

What A-levels are you planning to take?

If I stay at my current school: Chemistry Biology Maths and Drama
If I move for 6th form: Chemistry Biology Maths FM and possibly Econ :yy:

^so may do medicine but I HAVE NO CLUE lmao I need work exp asap
Reply 13
milz you boss omg

u got this ini
Original post by Milzime
If I stay at my current school: Chemistry Biology Maths and Drama
If I move for 6th form: Chemistry Biology Maths FM and possibly Econ :yy:

^so may do medicine but I HAVE NO CLUE lmao I need work exp asap

Drama seems like the odd one out
Reply 15
Has the Chinese GCSE changed recently because I remember it being really easy and I'm not even Chinese.
Reply 16
Original post by Manexopi
Has the Chinese GCSE changed recently because I remember it being really easy and I'm not even Chinese.

possibly, although I don't know. My school chose to do CIE (Cambridge version) iGCSE for Chinese. I'm probably just bad at chinese tbh hahaha

Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Drama seems like the odd one out

yeeep, I love it though hahah and I'm weirdly good at the writing stuff etc. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't got the drama scholarship at my school tbh :smile:

Original post by zanner
milz you boss omg

u got this ini

lol missed u
Reply 17
Original post by Milzime
possibly, although I don't know. My school chose to do CIE (Cambridge version) iGCSE for Chinese. I'm probably just bad at chinese tbh hahaha

Oh I did Edexcel. Everything was multiple choice - only real work was coursework. You seem to be better than I was at Chinese - I was never able to write it, I just used a dictionary and copied characters from there xD

Good luck for the rest of your GCSEs. I really need to start on some work myself.
Reply 18
Original post by Manexopi
Oh I did Edexcel. Everything was multiple choice - only real work was coursework. You seem to be better than I was at Chinese - I was never able to write it, I just used a dictionary and copied characters from there xD

Good luck for the rest of your GCSEs. I really need to start on some work myself.

:argh: I AM SO JEALOUSSS

we have writing reading listening and oral and it's so difficult :<

thanks, you too! :')
Wow really well done - I wish my school had offered Chinese! I did after school classes but they never offered it as a GCSE :frown:

It's great to see you aiming so high and keep it up - I take German, which is probably much easier than Chinese by a long way but if you want to see what I am up to you can do:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

All the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest