Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year Law student and I'm getting 2:2's mostly, with the occasional 2:1.

I'd like to get 2:1's/Firsts, I don't want mediocrity. How do I begin to get top grades???
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by theperformer)
    I am a first year Law student and I'm getting 2:2's mostly, with the occasional 2:1.

I'd like to get 2:1's/Firsts, I don't want mediocrity. How do I begin to get top grades???
    Always read your feedback and take it into account,plenty of planning and critical analysis.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your tutor - he/she will give you the best pointers, but suggestions in the meantime :

* Answer the question very succinctly - don't waffle or try and include ever aspect of the topic.

* Have a clear argument/question defined in your introduction, and answer it in clear step paragraphs.

* Read your essay out loud. Does it sound convincing? Are there bits you could cut out or rewrite to make it flow better?

Worth reading : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Law-.../dp/0230236448

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theperformer)

As Claire says, check the feedback on your assignments. That should tell you what you need to improve. If it doesn't, make an appointment to see the person who set the assignment and ask them to tell you. To begin with focus on improving aspects which are commented on repeatedly in feedback. If you can't figure out how to improve, again, ask the person who set the work to advise.

Also look for quick wins - make sure you're following any basic instructions on layout, font & font size, line spacing etc. Spellcheck before hand-in. Make your work look neat, so that the markers feel positive about it before they even start reading it. Referencing is a pain, but once you get the hang of it you can get easy percentages by doing it properly and rigorously. Attention to detail might be the difference between a 2:2 and a 2:1.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.