Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Well let me tell you a little bit about my background.
    After working in accounts and doing a bit of delivery driving for 5 years since leaving college I decided to take the plunge and go back into full time education.

I decided to study digital media design for 4 years which covered graphic & interactive design/web design/video editing and more. I really enjoyed my time there, made loads of friends, worked hard and achieved a first class degree.

Since graduating nearly 2 years ago I have been working for a firm in the world of finance as a graduate web developer. Sounds ideal I hear you say, 1st class degree and a job in my chosen (and very competitive) industry.

However in the time that I have had no natural desire to continue enhancing my coding knowledge, something that will be essential should I wish to progress further up the ladder in the web development world.

A lot of this has perhaps stemmed from the workplace environment which is dull/stressful and has perhaps put me off, and having now gained work experience in this field I am not entirely sure if i want to spend much more of my working life coding in front of a PC.

I have considered other areas of the digital world that I may have covered at uni but feel as though none of them really enthuse me, plus I wouldn't have the relevant experience for many of the advertised roles out there.

Now I am thinking of another career switch but have no idea which way to turn. Whether that be going back to college to re-train in another field which meanssacrificing a full time paid job, or even to try looking for another job outside of my field, but then most employers might look at my cv and think "why do they want to do this job if they have a degree in a different field'

Really I am just looking for a job where I earn a good salary and one in which i wake up every morning, raring to go and full of enthusiasm.

I feel like I have reached a crossroads but don't know which way to turn.

Anyone out there been in a similar situation? Is it OK to chop and change careers?

I know it's up to me to decide which direction to go in but that is seemingly the stumbling block at the moment.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    My situation is different to yours.. I was doing a retail job whilst studying computing, landed what I thought was my dream job, earning the big money etc now I am thinking I wouldn't mind my retail job back.. thing is you can have an idea of what you want to do or what you think you will love but until you do it you wont 100% know. Im starting to think theres no job out there for me which I will truely love to do. I guess all you can do is get an idea get a job and see what its like. Im considering my limited list of options, find a new career or stick with this one and hope better times are coming.. I'd hate to admit I've wasted all this time..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love my job and miss working when i'm not. Indeed, most of what i do in my downtime is either prepare for work or do the same i'd be doing at work
    Chopped and changed from a very different career (banking)...and from A levels until 3 years deep in London Big-4 was all about my supposedly 'dream job' - which wasn't as promised!

If you enjoy your job, you never really work a day in your life. True, but a pipe dream for most.

The flip-side of the coin is that being in a job you dislike means you'll know you'll be waking up 48 weeks a year out of 52 knowing your day can't make you happy.
    That's kinda scary.
    Do whatever it takes - would suggest picking an industry rather than a role as a start.

edit: and +1 for not knowing whether you'll like something until you try it. Including jobs. For that reason, there is no avoiding career changes for those that want to enjoy it and didn't luck out on their first go.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.