Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    yeah, that is correct - shame that isn't so with the TV liscense lol.
    Mornin!

speaking of tv's... whos actually taking one? and what you taking with it (dvd consoles etc...)

im taking a tv tuner for my laptop.... so hopefully i wont have to pay licence

Chris

ReputationRep:
    im taking a tv, and that is all. i watch hardly any dvds/videos and i suck at computer games..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll bother with a TV. I never watch much anyway, and if there's something on that I want to watch, I'm sure I can hog someone else's TV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjames40)
    it doesn't work that way I'm afraid, you still have to pay - though when I was there they didn't seem to check anyone - they just sent reminder letters to anyone who hadn't bought a liscense regardless of whether they had TV's or not.

In my flat, out of 6 I was the only person with a TV and video player, so was being asked a lot to watch things. In the end we had to bring someone elses TV back after christmas to put in the Kitchen so we could all watch - also useful for plugging in the dance mats and DVD player

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't work that way I'm afraid, you still have to pay - though when I was there they didn't seem to check anyone - they just sent reminder letters to anyone who hadn't bought a liscense regardless of whether they had TV's or not.

In my flat, out of 6 I was the only person with a TV and video player, so was being asked a lot to watch things. In the end we had to bring someone elses TV back after christmas to put in the Kitchen so we could all watch - also useful for plugging in the dance mats and DVD player
    Yeah, i knew you 'supposed' to have 1 for tv tuner... but theyre so easy to hide and they cant prove you were watchin it!!

and if they dnt check.... then bonus!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjames40)
    Mornin!

speaking of tv's... whos actually taking one? and what you taking with it (dvd consoles etc...)

Chris
    I am taking a tv, need to buy a new one that is small enough though, my mum wanted me to take the 32" one in my room i was like hell no! that's too freaking big! So i am getting a 14" (my god the difference! lol) with a video slot to watch videos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syxxthmunky)
    I am taking a tv, need to buy a new one that is small enough though, my mum wanted me to take the 32" one in my room i was like hell no! that's too freaking big! So i am getting a 14" (my god the difference! lol) with a video slot to watch videos.
    He he, ud be popular with ur flatmates with a 32" !!!

could always take it and put it in the communal flat area :P

how much do licenses cost anyway?

Chris

ReputationRep:
    £121ish for a colour license, and its bout 40ish for a black and white one i think

but you get a refund on the months (in 3month blocks) that you dont use the license - in other words july, august and september

We had 2 tvs between 8 of us and i had one! The other one came into the kitchen for friday nite tv with one of my other flat mates and mine was used to watch vids the same flat mate! Oh and neighbours lol :rolleyes: dunno about the other 5 flat mates didnt really talk to them, we were mixed with second and third years

ReputationRep:
    im quite surprised at how many people didnt take videos with them..

but, like someone said on here somewhere, i'd rather take my tv and not watch it much than not take one and really want to watch it...

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    its d or m you need to speak too.
    Hehehehe!! Thanks Ollie!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    im quite surprised at how many people didnt take videos with them..

but, like someone said on here somewhere, i'd rather take my tv and not watch it much than not take one and really want to watch it...

:rolleyes:
    Mmm, well my nicy shiny new very quiet desktop that I built myself has a DVD drive in it. I have a 24" CRT Monitor and loads of DVD's which should keep me occupied!! I also have majorly good speakers so, I guess I can host some minor cinema viewing if anybody wants to take me up on the offer!

All round to simons for a mini cinema! Do you provide popcorn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonLime)
    All round to simons for a mini cinema! Do you provide popcorn?
    lol - he shouldn't advertise all that nice sounding gear -you are moving to Pompey after all .. oooh, and I like my popcorn salty

ReputationRep:
    lol - he shouldn't advertise all that nice sounding gear -you are moving to Pompey after all .. oooh, and I like my popcorn salty
    Anyone wants it? They come through me!! I know it may not sound much but I have been mugged at knife point before. Though I was not going to hand over my money which I had just got out for drinks. So we ended up having a little fight!! lol! Lets just say that the knife never got used and he ended up worse for trying it on me!!

Scary Simon....oh and i like my popcorn sweet :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Mmm, well my nicy shiny new very quiet desktop that I built myself has a DVD drive in it. I have a 24" CRT Monitor and loads of DVD's which should keep me occupied!! I also have majorly good speakers so, I guess I can host some minor cinema viewing if anybody wants to take me up on the offer!
    well my my, tell me your room number and i will be a sloppy pig and live in your room

I bought my laptop yesterday, well ordered it online, all the shops were out of stock of the one i wanted.

ahhh i still have quite a few forms to fill out, like my tv licence, railway student card, sum form i gotta send back to portsmouth, my table is full of portsmouth stuff lol

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't got those damn passport pictures taken...

tut tut!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonLime)
    tut tut!
    I swear I'll do it later today!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.