Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Okay, so I'm a girl and I'm 19 and me and this guy have been friends for the past couple of years. But earlier this year we got really really close, and it's always been very bantery with us but everyone used to think we were a couple because we were very touchy (as in holding hands and hugging a lot).

Anyway, I sort of started to like him as more than a friend and we began to flirt a lot, and then we kissed, everything carried on as normal, and a couple of weeks after, we hooked up. Neither of us is really looking for a relationship, just a casual thing, and everything was alright for a little while. But then he asked me "what are we?" and I said we were friends and he stopped talking to me for about three weeks.

Eventually I apologised (though I don't know what I did wrong) and things got back to a shaky normal, but he was a bit more distant with me. When we're with our other friends, he treats me like one of the lads, but when we're alone, he's different, and he still holds my hand when no one is looking and hugs me and stuff. Plus he acts really weird when I talk to/about other guys in front of him. Am I going crazy or is this guy sending mixed messages?

I think from hooking up and the kissing he has developed some sort of feelings for you. And he asked you because he wondered if you felt the same as well. I guess he was a little hurt you didn't reciprocate by telling him. That's why he is being distant. If you do like him, sit him down and apologise for not saying what was on your mind. I know it's nerve-wracking to admit feelings.

He's giving mixed messages but it does seem as if he likes you. If you like him too then tell him and ask how he feels about you. If you don't like him then stop holding his hand and acting romantic privately as it gives off the wrong impression - you're giving him mixed signals too by rejecting him but still holding his hand etc.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.