Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I thought starting a blog would be something good for me to get involed with. Now I'm not the most exciting of people, so I struggled to think of a main focus. After a bit of thought I decided to combine my love of biology and my love of makeup into one big blog. It's a bit of a mismatched blog in that way but I'll ensure I split them in a clear way. If you're not interested in one just ignore that part and read the other :teehee: if you're not interested in reading either I'm sorry for being boring

Okay, so the biology part will probably be the main aspect of this blog and will be based around my 'journey' in my undergraduate degree and my hope to get onto a PhD programme. I am currently a second year at the University of Liverpool studying Biological Sciences and I'm really loving it! at the moment, I'm studying these modules:

-Veterinary Parasitology and Public Health
    -Animal Pathology
    -Advanced Microbiological Techniques

In the second half of the semester I'll also be doing a bioinformatics module and module involving the laboratory identification of parasites My main aim is to do a PhD in the area of veterinary parasitology, so my focus at the moment is getting decent grades and hopefully getting work experience I shall post updates in terms of studying, what I did during the week, and just throw in anything interesting that I learnt.

Now for the makeup bit (probably the bit most will ignore :lol:) I’m a massive makeup fan. I am basically obsessed. I love trying out new looks and I have a particular love for eyeshadow and lipstick. My collection is getting better and I’m a little embarrassed by the amount I’ve spent on it, but I absolutely adore it and it makes me happy! In this part of the blog I’ll talk about any products I’ve bought and give mini reviews, I’ll also sometimes post some looks that I’ve done if they look any good :teehee: I'm also hoping this will help me improve my makeup application skills!

So yeah that's about it! I hope some of you find any of it remotely interesting
    • Welcome Squad

awwww followed (mostly bc it is you )
    idk anything about makeup and not enough about biology but in :ahee: x

ReputationRep:
    posting to subscribe
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Subbing!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    awwww followed (mostly bc it is you )
    idk anything about makeup and not enough about biology but in :ahee: x
    Aww you cutie! I'm sure you're very knowledgeable in both :teehee: x
    (Original post by lilGem)
    posting to subscribe
    Woo thank you! Hope all is well with you?
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Subbing!
    Great, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the fur coat in your profile picture, I can only guess what you do to the animals you fail to keep alive.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Judging by the fur coat in your profile picture, I can only guess what you do to the animals you fail to keep alive.
    My faux fur coat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    My faux fur coat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was attempting to be funny, sorry for my failure
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I was attempting to be funny, sorry for my failure
    :lol: I'm the one who should be sorry for failing to see you were joking! so apologies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww you cutie! I'm sure you're very knowledgeable in both :teehee: x

Woo thank you! Hope all is well with you?

Great, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    all is well, so weird at the thought of graduating in a few months! Have plans laid out for postgraduate though. I look forward to reading your posts :hugs:
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    So yeah that's about it! I hope some of you find any of it remotely interesting
    What I love most about blogs is reading about new things, that I've got no knowledge of. I know nothing about biology and I know nothing about make-up. I think I'm going to like this blog.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    18th February 2016

Biology

So today is Thursday which means one thing, labs. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy them more than I thought I would, but they end up totally draining me; it’s pretty difficult spending 8 hours working when you’re only used to being in uni a couple of hours each day for the rest of the week! I’m also still adjusting to lab work and all the techniques as I haven’t done any for over a year. This module is all to do with microbiological techniques. We picked groups a couple of weeks ago and were all given a bacteria and it was our job to work out what the bacteria actually was. After a gram stain, observing under a microscope and a lot of googling, we discovered that the bacteria was Bacillus subtilis. Today we were determining which sugar the bacteria grew best in, the sugars being fructose, galactose, sucrose, lactose and maltose. Bacteria aren’t my favourite things to study and we ended up having to pipette a diluted solution into over 100 eppendorf tubes so it can get very tedious. Note to self: don’t work with bacteria in the future.:lol: On top of this, we did a protease assay and created an experiment testing 5 different species of bacteria that will be completed next week. Oh and to make things even better, my boyfriend is in my group, so I spent a lot of the day being told what to do as he thinks he’s always right (to be fair he is ridiculously clever and usually is ). I don’t need to tell him this as his head is big enough already :lol: There is so much going on in this module that I don’t know what’s going on half of the time

A very exciting snap

I’m also currently working on a presentation that I’m doing next Friday. I decided to do mine on Neospora caninum, an apicomplexan parasite that causes spontaneous abortion in cattle and neosporosis (a neuromuscular disease) in dogs. It’s clearly not the nicest of topics, but it’s something I’d love to work on in the future. This is for my essential skills module.

Makeup

Now if you’ve read the above you’ll know there’s no need to focus on makeup, so it doesn’t look great enough to share here; so here’s my eyeshadow from Valentine’s Day (pink was definitely the most appropriate colour )

I used my Makeup Geek eyeshadows that I collected nicely into a Z palette as seen above. These eyeshadows are amazing, they’re ridiculously pigmented and they blend so well. There is also a great colour range. They’re a bit pricey to collect if you want a lot as the regular pans and duochrome pans cost £5 each, whilst the foiled ones cost £8. If you’re crazy like me and don’t mind spending that much on one eyeshadow shade, I’d definitely recommend them, they will change your life :rofl: I used the shades Cupcake, Bitten, and Whimsical here.

I also received my new MAC lipstick in the post today, in the shade Taupe. I am in love with these lipsticks; they’re great quality and there are so many lovely colours I’m happy to show any of my other shades if anyone is interested in buying any and would like advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    What I love most about blogs is reading about new things, that I've got no knowledge of. I know nothing about biology and I know nothing about make-up. I think I'm going to like this blog.
    Aww well that's nice to hear, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    all is well, so weird at the thought of graduating in a few months! Have plans laid out for postgraduate though. I look forward to reading your posts :hugs:
    Oh of course!! what are your plans? thank you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Oh of course!! what are your plans? thank you :hugs:
    I'm taking a year out to hopefully get a position as a research assistant/ technician/ gain more lab experience then apply for an Mres/ Msc in cancer biology/ translational oncology/ variants of (already selected universities) then go onto to do a PhD in similar fields :woo: I think with more of a translational focus if I can :yep:

----

Also I remember doing a similar microbiology lab to yours last year :woo: but it was probiotic based and testing the efficacies of companies claims :yep:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a year out to hopefully get a position as a research assistant/ technician/ gain more lab experience then apply for an Mres/ Msc in cancer biology/ translational oncology/ variants of (already selected universities) then go onto to do a PhD in similar fields :woo: I think with more of a translational focus if I can :yep:

----

Also I remember doing a similar microbiology lab to yours last year :woo: but it was probiotic based and testing the efficacies of companies claims :yep:
    Ooh that sounds really great! best of luck with it all

And that sounds more interesting than mine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    2nd March 2016: Results day! :afraid:

Biology

It’s about time I posted in here! So today is Wednesday the 2nd of March, which means one thing. Semester 1 results. I woke up feeling quite nervous. Not quite A level results day nervous, but nervous enough. Semester 1 had been a bit difficult as I was still doing half an Ancient History degree despite not liking it. I knew I was dropping it at Christmas so doing the work took a lot of motivation. If I’m going to be honest, I didn’t really attend my history lectures. It was just too boring and although I should have, I couldn’t bring myself to. This, of course, means that when it came to exams, I knew nothing. NOTHING. Not one thing about these ancient history topics. So I started revising really late, a few days before the exam (huge mistake at the time), and I was starting from scratch. It was tough, but I selected a few topics and got on with it. Now when it came to the exam, I saw the question options and was both relieved yet worried. This module was all about the governing of the Roman Empire, and I had revised one topic but had only briefly looked at the others, so I was debating between two questions that I could write a little about. I decided to go with how provinces were governed, wrote a couple of paragraphs and decided I wouldn’t be able to write enough. So what did I do? Decided to pick the other one. I wrote another couple of paragraphs for this question on the Senate, senators, and the emperor. I then, again, decided I wouldn’t be able to write enough, so went back to the other question!!! Carried on with that, panicked yet again yep...you’ve guessed it, returned to the other question yet again. In the end, I basically had one decent essay, and two average ones, so I spent ages deciding which one to cross off, which was scary as I was worried I’d have got a better mark with the other. Clearly, I came out of the exam worried as hell and convinced that I had failed miserably. I was pretty sure I’d have to resit in August, which was a horrible thought considering I wanted to completely drop it.

Back to today, at about half 10 I received the email with my dreaded results. I was shaking :lol: anyway, I decided just to quickly open it and go for it. The first result I ensured I saw was that awful history exam, as nothing else on the email would be as bad as that, surely? Then I saw the numbers... 69, I was so shocked! I genuinely believe I’d failed, yet I was so close to a first! I swear to God my lecturer must have been in a good mood when he marked that I then went on to look at my other results which were surprisingly much better than I thought

In my modules, I ended up with:

Ruling the Roman Empire: 65

Politics of the Past: 68

Animal Behaviour: 77

Advanced Techniques in Animal Behaviour, Health and Welfare: 76

I’m always over the moon when I get above a 2.1, so getting two firsts in biology was wonderful such a relief. I also managed to get first in the presentation that I did on Friday, so things have been quite positive recently. Now to get firsts in my summer exams!

Makeup

Today’s makeup wasn’t great and nothing exciting. You can let me off though as I was nervous and my hand was shaking a bit :lol: I used my Makeup Geek eyeshadows in the shades Frappe and Starry Eyed, and the shade Luster in my Zoeva Rose Golden Palette. I also used Anastasia Beverly Hills dipbrow pomade in Caramel to neaten my brows, as well as my new Benefit Roller Lash mascara :love:
    mascara is extremely messy today though oops.

Name:  1456935473147.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  42.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

awww as usual a very good read although admittedly i probably didn't digest it enough bc i don't understand all of it but i'm kind of sleepy and damp so please forgive :hugs:
    Awesome results btw :woo: congratulations for them :jumphug: and i'm sure you will get the grades you want in the summer :yes:
    Literally understood nothing about the make up bit however i can say with certainty that it dosen't look messy :noway:
    you look beautiful ok
    :lovehug: x
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    awww as usual a very good read although admittedly i probably didn't digest it enough bc i don't understand all of it but i'm kind of sleepy and damp so please forgive :hugs:
    Awesome results btw :woo: congratulations for them :jumphug: and i'm sure you will get the grades you want in the summer :yes:
    Literally understood nothing about the make up bit however i can say with certainty that it dosen't look messy :noway:
    you look beautiful ok
    :lovehug: x
    Awww thanks so much chick, means a lot :hugs: I'm going to try my best! Oh it does but thank you :love: You're too kind

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.