Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting for the CIE IGCSE Maths Exams in May. (ONLY SUBJECT) I'm am in year 9, so I am asking for advice in getting an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEPicNiceX)
    I'm sitting for the CIE IGCSE Maths Exams in May. (ONLY SUBJECT) I'm am in year 9, so I am asking for advice in getting an A*.
    Year nine?
    Are you in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Year nine?
    Are you in the UK?
    Nope, I live in south-east asia. I am sitting this early so I that I will not panic too much in Year 11
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Are you self-teaching or learning in school?

First make sure you fully understand all of the topics. Don't ignore anything - you should have enough understanding to be confident that you could explain every topic to a fellow student.

When you think you're done, print off the syllabus and check that you have covered every topic.

Then do every CIE past paper you can find, even the older ones. You'll notice the types of questions repeat every year. Look at mark schemes to see where you could lose marks and read examiners reports on the exams (all available on the CIE website).

If you run out of CIE papers, have a go at the Edexcel IGCSE papers (ignore the topics you haven't covered).

By the way, I used to be a CIE IGCSE teacher in SE Asia so PM me if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Are you self-teaching or learning in school?

First make sure you fully understand all of the topics. Don't ignore anything - you should have enough understanding to be confident that you could explain every topic to a fellow student.

When you think you're done, print off the syllabus and check that you have covered every topic.

Then do every CIE past paper you can find, even the older ones. You'll notice the types of questions repeat every year. Look at mark schemes to see where you could lose marks and read examiners reports on the exams (all available on the CIE website).

If you run out of CIE papers, have a go at the Edexcel IGCSE papers (ignore the topics you haven't covered).

By the way, I used to be a CIE IGCSE teacher in SE Asia so PM me if you have any questions
    I self-taught, learn at school and I have a private tutor. Thanks for the advices!

ReputationRep:
    for maths, you can only revise with one way
    PRACTICE
    PASTPAPERS
    A/A*

ReputationRep:
    Umm... A bit off-topic. How to solve this? I looked at the mark schemes and my teacher was no help either. Thanks in advance!
    Doc1.docx
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Umm... A bit off-topic. How to solve this? I looked at the mark schemes and my teacher was no help either. Thanks in advance!
    Doc1.docx
    Look a the two right-angled triangles on the right, both are outside the trapezium.

One has hypotenuse BE and the other has hypotenuse BC. These two triangles are similar.

The height of the big triangle is 40 and the height of the small one is h.

Does that help? If not, post all your working / ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Look a the two right-angled triangles on the right, both are outside the trapezium.

One has hypotenuse BE and the other has hypotenuse BC. These two triangles are similar.

The height of the big triangle is 40 and the height of the small one is h.

Does that help? If not, post all your working / ideas.
    Thank you so much sir!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.