Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm having some trouble with understanding question 6b on this paper http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/iy...apers/c3_a.pdf I don't think I've ever come across a question like this before where you have to sketch y=f(ax +a)

I stretched the curve by scale factor 1/2 then translated it two units in the negative x direction, but in the mark scheme it says to do this the other way around. Can anyone clearly explain why you have to do it the other way around? Also, could this question be on an Edexcel C3 paper?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    I'm having some trouble with understanding question 6b on this paper http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/iy...apers/c3_a.pdf I don't think I've ever come across a question like this before where you have to sketch y=f(ax +a)

I stretched the curve by scale factor 1/2 then translated it two units in the negative x direction, but in the mark scheme it says to do this the other way around. Can anyone clearly explain why you have to do it the other way around? Also, could this question be on an Edexcel C3 paper?

Thanks
    you can do it both ways

ReputationRep:
    It is a translation by vector  \displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} followed by a stretch parallel to the x-axis by scale factor 1/2.

OR
    It is a stretch by SF 1/2 followed by translation by vector  \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    It is a translation by vector  \displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} -2 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} followed by a stretch parallel to the x-axis by scale factor 1/2.

OR
    It is a stretch by SF 1/2 followed by translation by vector  \begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} .
    what a "geezer "you are !!
    (Zacken might get jealous ...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Integrals at dawn will settle this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Integrals at dawn will settle this.
    my money on Zacken ... he will ban people rather than lose

ReputationRep:

OR
    Okay thanks. So basically if you choose to do the stretch first you have to also stretch the translation?

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks. So basically if you choose to do the stretch first you have to also stretch the translation?
    Precisely.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely.
    Do you know if this could come up in an Edexcel C3 paper? I have done all the past papers and haven't found it yet.

Thanks for your help bro

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if this could come up in an Edexcel C3 paper? I have done all the past papers and haven't found it yet.

Thanks for your help bro
    It could (I believe). It is composite transformations if you want to take a further look into it.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for your help bro
    Under the current spec the answer is no !
    These papers follow the EDEXCEL SYLLABUS (closely) but they are not Edexcel Past Papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    These papers follow the EDEXCEL SYLLABUS (closely) but they are not Edexcel Past Papers
    Really? Only single transformations in edexcel?

ReputationRep:
    Really? Only single transformations in edexcel?
    No but the double transformations involved are independent, i .e one on the x direction and one on the y direction, so even my cats can do them ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    How dare you waste my precious time with irrelevant questions on your paper

ReputationRep:
    How dare you waste my precious time with irrelevant questions on your paper
    How long did you lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    How long did you lose?

ReputationRep:
    16 what?
    toy soldiers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    No but the double transformations involved are independent, i .e one on the x direction and one on the y direction, so even my cats can do them ...
    Interesting. I wonder why that is. You'd think there would be a slight step up from the transformations in C2.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I wonder why that is. You'd think there would be a slight step up from the transformations in C2.
    obvious "cheating" among the boards
    you can do triple maths and you will never see or tested on this

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.