Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Small things I could do to lose weight/get healthier and fitter? Watch

Announcements

I have depression which is super super annoying because it basically makes me eat a lot more crap and not want to do anything ever, so I've put a bit of weight on over the past year. I didn't really mind until a few weeks ago when I noticed it all on my face rather than just my stomach so now I'm super self conscious in photos and stuff and really don't like my appearance any more.

Before I climb another dress size, I was wondering if there were any small changes I could make to my diet/daily life to help? I figured small would be good so that when I'm really down and depression-y I could still keep doing them with minimal effort

So far I've thought of:

-Stairs instead of escalators
    -Take less money to school to avoid buying loads of chocolate
    -Swap sweets for fruit
    -I cut diagonally across a park on my way home, I could go the long way round it instead
    -Drink less Coke (any Coke substitutes would be much appreciated...I love cola)

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    exercise is probably a big one

ReputationRep:
    Drink water only, eat less calories than you burn a day

ReputationRep:
    Sexercise!!!

ReputationRep:
    Get a Fitbit (or other brand of pedometer but I think Fitbit's the cheapest) and set a step goal on there and force yourself to stick to it. If you know other people with one you can join challenges etc which is really motivating. You can also enter your food and track in versus out calories, and set yourself a weight loss plan.

ReputationRep:
    Drink water instead of cola.
    Walk more please
    Do some lunges or squats while cooking maybe.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Take up a new hobby and try to keep your brain active.

ReputationRep:
    Weight training or any form of resistance training really helps me mentally, give it a go and you might fall in love, plus your body will transform pretty rapidly as you are new.

ReputationRep:
    hey ! dont be depressed there is no need for that ! go find something you love doing and that will help you! anyway back on the health and fitness , i would say you have to watch your diet mostly , if your eating well then your body will be doing well , i would also suggest maybe a fitness class or even gym as they will be most beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    . Remove fizzy drinks and juices from your diet
    . Walk for ~30 minutes a few times a week
    . Replacing sweets with healthier snacks e.g fruit
    . Eating less junk food and more homemade food

ReputationRep:
    Go hungry! It's a change in mentality, but it's not good to eat till you are full every meal and snack time. Most/many people do this,but we didn't used to. It's all together healthier to go a little hungry and your appetite will reduce too. Exercise is second to this in importance. Diet is no.1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Go hungry! It's a change in mentality, but it's not good to eat till you are full every meal and snack time. Most/many people do this,but we didn't used to. It's all together healthier to go a little hungry and your appetite will reduce too. Exercise is second to this in importance. Diet is no.1
    you shouldn't really go that hungry as it wont be good for your body either you should eat but exercise enough to burn it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gertautas)
    you shouldn't really go that hungry as it wont be good for your body either you should eat but exercise enough to burn it
    Go hungry, partial fasting and alternate day fasting have well documented health benefits. Snacking constantly does not allow the liver to fulfil it's proper function. Not talking about starvation here.

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness, just get up in the morning and go for a walk.

(Original post by becomingbindy)
    Get a Fitbit (or other brand of pedometer but I think Fitbit's the cheapest) and set a step goal on there and force yourself to stick to it. If you know other people with one you can join challenges etc which is really motivating. You can also enter your food and track in versus out calories, and set yourself a weight loss plan.
    (Original post by becomingbindy)
    cheers...my phone actually has a built-in pedometer that I've never taken advantage of but I'll certainly set myself some goals now. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have depression which is super super annoying because it basically makes me eat a lot more crap and not want to do anything ever, so I've put a bit of weight on over the past year. I didn't really mind until a few weeks ago when I noticed it all on my face rather than just my stomach so now I'm super self conscious in photos and stuff and really don't like my appearance any more.

Before I climb another dress size, I was wondering if there were any small changes I could make to my diet/daily life to help? I figured small would be good so that when I'm really down and depression-y I could still keep doing them with minimal effort

So far I've thought of:

-Stairs instead of escalators
    -Take less money to school to avoid buying loads of chocolate
    -Swap sweets for fruit
    -I cut diagonally across a park on my way home, I could go the long way round it instead
    -Drink less Coke (any Coke substitutes would be much appreciated...I love cola)

Thanks!!!
    - Cut out as much salt and sugar as possible.
    - Drink plenty of water
    - Try to walk 10,000 steps per day
    - Don't think of it as a diet, more of a lifestyle change
    - Depending on how quick you want to lose weight, have a cheat meal once a week/fortnight/month.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Juice fasting will be a very big help. Use fresh fruits and not fruit juices with preservatives. Don't worry, you will not get hungry because of the sugar in those fruits and you will not feel weak because of its nutrients. Try this for at least 2 months.

(Original post by gertautas)
    hey ! dont be depressed there is no need for that ! go find something you love doing and that will help you! anyway back on the health and fitness , i would say you have to watch your diet mostly , if your eating well then your body will be doing well , i would also suggest maybe a fitness class or even gym as they will be most beneficial.
    can't help being depressed as it's an illness but I appreciate the kind words, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Healthy eating and exercise are needed and will help.

ReputationRep:
    Phone a cab from your house.

Give the driver £8.Carry no other money.Just a drink.

Wear a blindfold.*

Ask driver to drive for £8(you might want to start off with a lower amount)worth in one direction.

Find your way home.

I lost nearly a stone in 6 weeks!

Good luck.

*optional .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.