Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, me again!

I have a quick question.

I finished sixth form back in 2012 and I either didn't speak to teachers or the ones who taught me have now retired and seem untraceable, Is there any other way I can get a reference? Or is it possible to complete my form without one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corey O'Connor)
    Hey guys, me again!

I have a quick question.

I finished sixth form back in 2012 and I either didn't speak to teachers or the ones who taught me have now retired and seem untraceable, Is there any other way I can get a reference? Or is it possible to complete my form without one?
    You can get a reference from someone else who knows you well - ideally someone who knows your academic capabilities (if you have studied since 2012) but if not your line manager from work. NB it can't be a family member.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, me again!

I have a quick question.

Your school will have a copy of your original reference, on the assumption that they do what many schools do and prepare a reference for all students in case they apply for university. The Head of Sixth Form should be able to co-ordinate getting hold of this, regardless of whether s/he knew you personally. It's an admin job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Your school will have a copy of your original reference, on the assumption that they do what many schools do and prepare a reference for all students in case they apply for university. The Head of Sixth Form should be able to co-ordinate getting hold of this, regardless of whether s/he knew you personally. It's an admin job.

Even if I haven't been in that school/sixth form for nearly 4 years and bearing in mind my old school was knocked down and a new one built, plus the fact that's is completely new teachers and heads that haven't never spoken to me in their life.

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
    You can get a reference from someone else who knows you well - ideally someone who knows your academic capabilities (if you have studied since 2012) but if not your line manager from work. NB it can't be a family member
    I haven't been in my job that long and I don't really get along with the managers at work, so asking them puts me in a really hard place. Does it have to be someone in a high position? Or could I have a work collogue who knows me academically?

ReputationRep:
    Even if I haven't been in that school/sixth form for nearly 4 years and bearing in mind my old school was knocked down and a new one built, plus the fact that's is completely new teachers and heads that haven't never spoken to me in their life.
    School records are kept regardless of physical buildings and changes in personnel. Clearly you don't want to bother, though, so ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    School records are kept regardless of physical buildings and changes in personnel. Clearly you don't want to bother, though, so ok.
    Don't get me wrong I appreciate the help and advice, but I'm not feeling the sarcastic nature of your reply.
    I myself suffer with quite crippling anxiety, so simple tasks of just calling up my school or paying them a visit isn't easy for people like myself.
    I trust what you say believe me on that note, but you can't fail to see my distrust in this.

I was a shy kid and didn't talk to anyone and I was never a teachers favourite meaning none of them gave me the time of day
    or got to the point to even learn my name.

SO

What I find hard to understand is how can someone who doesn't even know me let alone academically give me a reference?
    Isn't that the point of a reference?

ReputationRep:
    I think you can only send one without a reference if the universities don't require one. Therefore you could contact them directly and explain your situation although I can see how calling up could induce anxiety.
    I left sixth form 2 years ago and contacted my old business teacher for a reference, although we'd had an ok relationship it was still difficult. Could you email your old sixth form and that way you don't directly speak to them?

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong I appreciate the help and advice, but I'm not feeling the sarcastic nature of your reply.
    I myself suffer with quite crippling anxiety, so simple tasks of just calling up my school or paying them a visit isn't easy for people like myself.
    I trust what you say believe me on that note, but you can't fail to see my distrust in this.

I was a shy kid and didn't talk to anyone and I was never a teachers favourite meaning none of them gave me the time of day
    or got to the point to even learn my name.

SO

What I find hard to understand is how can someone who doesn't even know me let alone academically give me a reference?
    Isn't that the point of a reference?
    Teachers are often required to write references for all of their students, regardless of their quietness or whatever. They can't refuse to write one just 'because he never said anything'. If it was the policy of the school you were at to write references ahead of time in case of a later application to university, then the teachers would have written one regardless of how difficult it might have been for them to find the material. It might have been a very bland reference, but it would be a reference all the same. Many of us have made bricks without straw out of the least promising candidates. Since you have no one else you can ask, a bland reference is better than no reference at all, so you should find out if it exists. If it doesn't, then you will have to contact the universities directly and ask them what they would suggest. If you cannot face doing either of these things, then perhaps taking a year out and getting a job where you can establish a relationship with the management, so that you can apply next year with a referee you know is a plan to consider. It is worth mentioning that as the deadline for equal consideration has passed now, you might be as well waiting until next year if the course you are thinking of is competitive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.