Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

18 and bald watch

Announcements

I was wondering why I am going bald, could it be something else apart from male pattern baldness/genetics?

Dad is in his 50s with a full set of hair, uncles all have full set of hair, siblings and cousins all have the perfect set of hair, granddads have decent hair for their age.. they even have more hair than me...

I read that male pattern baldness is genetic and if no one in my family has it then does this mean something else is causing my hair loss?

I've tried viviscal man tablets for the 3 months it recommends and it did nothing, various hair products like that german caffeine one and it does nothing

ReputationRep:
    Stress is a huge factor for hair loss

(Original post by Eternalflames)
    Stress is a huge factor for hair loss
    When I was 15 I had depression which led to huge amounts of stress and insomnia - could this be why? however I seeked help and went therapy, and have been perfectly fine for the past year?

well I am now getting a bit stressed over being the only person I know to be balding at 18/19..

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would just try and chill out, it most likely isn't something to worry about. If the sight of it particularly bothers you then make an appointment to see your GP.
    Last year just after I sat my AS exams I had two patches at the back of my head where my hair fell out, I went to see my GP about it who got a blood test done. My blood tests came back normal and the GP said to leave it for a few months (though if you ask there are various treatments they can prescribe). Anyway earlier last month my hair finally started growing back... grey... xD.

So you certainly aren't the only one that has gone through this, it isn't something you should concern yourself too much with. You most likely have Alopecia (especially if no one else in your family has gone bald at such an early age). As for the causes the GP said that a huge range of things could cause it but that it is most likely down to the stress. Hopefully in a few months your hair will be back to normal and all will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was wondering why I am going bald, could it be something else apart from male pattern baldness/genetics?

Dad is in his 50s with a full set of hair, uncles all have full set of hair, siblings and cousins all have the perfect set of hair, granddads have decent hair for their age.. they even have more hair than me...

I read that male pattern baldness is genetic and if no one in my family has it then does this mean something else is causing my hair loss?

I've tried viviscal man tablets for the 3 months it recommends and it did nothing, various hair products like that german caffeine one and it does nothing
    If it's patchy hair loss it could be alopecia areata, an autoimmune problem where your immune system essentially attacks your hair follicles.

If it is this that you're suffering from for the vast majority if people it will effect a few small patches of hair and will resolve itself eventually, it very rarely spreads beyond small areas of hair loss.

Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear about your experiences^

It's not patchy for me, I am just bald around the crown and the front, my hairline has receded behind the point of receding. So I have had to keep my head shaven.

Should I book a GP appointment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear about your experiences^

It's not patchy for me, I am just bald around the crown and the front, my hairline has receded behind the point of receding. So I have had to keep my head shaven.

Should I book a GP appointment?
    Personally, I find shaved heads sexy. It wouldn't hurt to book an appointment. How is your diet and general lifestyle?

ReputationRep:
    Like YaliaV said, it wouldn't hurt to book an appointment. At the very least you can make sure that it isn't being caused by any serious issues (although that is unlikely) and if you do want to get it treated medically, getting some form of treatment prescribed by the GP is likely to be far more effective then any over the counter medication that you may be taking when you don't actually know what is causing the hair loss.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.