Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I've had an unconditional offer for Richmond University, starting my MA Art History and Visual Culture this Sept. I'll be doing it part-time, around my job.

Wanted to see if anyone else is heading to Richmond for postgrad study this fall? Be lovely to meet (albeit virtually) some other students ahead of time!

Cheers,
    Deborah

ReputationRep:
    Hi Deborah,

I have been accepted into Richmond for postgrad and am currently torn between them and Westminster. Unfortunately I am an international and wont have the time to visit. Have you visited the uni? How did you like it? I'm worried about how small everyone is saying it to be.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Snap - I also got an offer for Westminster, but chose Richmond for several reasons.

1) it has a really good reputation in terms of quality of course
    2) I thought it'd be interesting to get an American education this time around
    3) I did the whole uni experience during undergrad, so the smaller campus and class sizes really appealed to me
    4) I was fortunate to speak to the only other person who has done the course part-time, so I could get an idea of workload. She spoke so highly of the freedom you get on the course... The assignments are themed but you have the chance to come up with your own topic. And the visual culture aspect seemed a lot more dynamic than the Westminster course

Hope that helps. I'm sure Westminster is great too - it's certainly an interesting course. It just so happens that the Richmond syllabus appeals more to me personally.

:-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm an American postgrad student with an offer for the MA in Museums, Galleries, and Contemporary Culture at Westminster and the MA in Art History & Visual Culture at Richmond. I'm also having a difficult time deciding which one to choose. Both appeal to me a lot even though they are slightly different. I haven't been able to find many rankings on Richmond and I'm not sure what to think about the fact that it is a private university. I've heard great things about the programme itself though. It's very difficult trying to make a decision without visiting each uni in person, but that's not possible for me.

I'm not sure about what the big differences between American higher education and UK education are, other than I've heard that in the UK there are less 'smaller' assignments and that your grade is focused on bigger papers and exams. Do you know if this is true?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.