Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I move on from this guy? Watch

There's someone who I've known for about 2 months; I really like him and he likes me too (he sat down and told me) but he can't get into a relationship with me because he's moving to Australia at the beginning of summer
    We slept together the same night, and I really wish we hadn't now because it made me even more attached to him..
    He told some of our mutual friends that he likes me and stuff, and we were talking for a couple of weeks and getting on really well.
    I'm gutted, because I like him so much, but I know I have to move on... He said that if he were staying here in England he would want to be with me, but he can't.
    Has anyone got any advice of how I can move on? I am thinking about him non-stop and getting really upset.. it's because he's such a nice guy too

And I think what happened between us happened because we were both so drunk.. ( I don't even drink, I only did that so I had the courage to tell him how I felt!),
    but he said he only wants a long-term thing and not FWB or anything like that... which makes me like him even more lol

ReputationRep:
    they say if your trying to get over one person, get under someone else.

Spoiler:
    Show
    no, dont actually do that. that would be slutty

do things to take your mind of him

Lol true, but I don't even feel like meeting anyone else.. I know nothing will compare to this guy.. I compare him to all the guys I've ever been out with and he's just way kinder and more honest etc.
    Anyway he's staying here for another 3-4 months and we've got mutual friends etc. so I will inevitably see him again :s
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    they say if your trying to get over one person, get under someone else.

Spoiler:
    Show
    no, dont actually do that. that would be slutty

do things to take your mind of him
    The bit outside the spoiler is usually my bit:yep::hmpf:

Now you're making me have to go all serious and everything

OP, block him out completely. The saying out of sight, out of mind applies here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Lol true, but I don't even feel like meeting anyone else.. I know nothing will compare to this guy.. I compare him to all the guys I've ever been out with and he's just way kinder and more honest etc.
    Anyway he's staying here for another 3-4 months and we've got mutual friends etc. so I will inevitably see him again :s
    bare in mind youv only known him 2 months...i knew a guy for 2-3 months and i thought he was amazing, turned out he was a multiple timed convict with serious convictions

Yeah, maybe i'll have to.. He really wants to be my friend... we still talk fairly often and it's a bit flirty sometimes... but I know it won't help me.
    I think I'll just have to busy myself..
    Oh no.. sorry to hear that what was he convicted for? This one isn't a convict as far as I know lol but I guess you are right, you never know.. I've just got this perfect idealised image of him but maybe there is stuff I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, maybe i'll have to.. He really wants to be my friend... we still talk fairly often and it's a bit flirty sometimes... but I know it won't help me.
    I think I'll just have to busy myself..
    Oh no.. sorry to hear that what was he convicted for? This one isn't a convict as far as I know lol but I guess you are right, you never know.. I've just got this perfect idealised image of him but maybe there is stuff I don't know.
    he beat his ex's 18 month old son. can i just add that i was aware of it at the beginning. as soon as i found out i cut contact. and that was the 3rd conviction. the 2nd was GBH

Oh wow.. no way Poor child.. that's absolutely terrible Well, you're definitely better off without him!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow.. no way Poor child.. that's absolutely terrible Well, you're definitely better off without him!
    exactly.

so dont go all nuts about someone you barely know, trust me
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    exactly.

so dont go all nuts about someone you barely know, trust me
    I think my story might win

Although mine is more fault to the potential mother in law than my partner...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep you're right... I just get attached way too easily, that's my problem :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    its not a competition sir but id love to hear it anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

What happened?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    its not a competition sir but id love to hear it anyway
    What happened?
    Basically my partner at the time had severe cystic fibrosis and by the time I met her the doctors thought she had two years left. Her father had gone off and died in Afghan. So her mother was pissed at him, but took it out on her (he lied and said he didn't have CF). Because of the mother my girlfriend was suicidal and self-harming (this hurt even more because it was an LDR). Just as I thought I was making headway with that area, I found out her mother was set to kill her - there were a few occasions where I had to keep talking to my girlfriend to keep her conscious and try to figure out where the hell she was so her friend could call 999. Eventually her mother got arrested (and had a heart attack in jail which killed her).
    As you can imagine, I may have said something like "Thank God" when I found out her mother wasn't going to be any more trouble. This prompted her to break up with me and I found out she died two weeks later. So I don't know whether she died naturally or not...

Yep you're right... I just get attached way too easily, that's my problem :s
    Same for me:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Basically my partner at the time had severe cystic fibrosis and by the time I met her the doctors thought she had two years left. Her father had gone off and died in Afghan. So her mother was pissed at him, but took it out on her (he lied and said he didn't have CF). Because of the mother my girlfriend was suicidal and self-harming (this hurt even more because it was an LDR). Just as I thought I was making headway with that area, I found out her mother was set to kill her - there were a few occasions where I had to keep talking to my girlfriend to keep her conscious and try to figure out where the hell she was so her friend could call 999. Eventually her mother got arrested (and had a heart attack in jail which killed her).
    As you can imagine, I may have said something like "Thank God" when I found out her mother wasn't going to be any more trouble. This prompted her to break up with me and I found out she died two weeks later. So I don't know whether she died naturally or not...

Same for me:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yea you win

ReputationRep:
    There's someone who I've known for about 2 months; I really like him and he likes me too (he sat down and told me) but he can't get into a relationship with me because he's moving to Australia at the beginning of summer
    We slept together the same night, and I really wish we hadn't now because it made me even more attached to him..
    He told some of our mutual friends that he likes me and stuff, and we were talking for a couple of weeks and getting on really well.
    I'm gutted, because I like him so much, but I know I have to move on... He said that if he were staying here in England he would want to be with me, but he can't.
    Has anyone got any advice of how I can move on? I am thinking about him non-stop and getting really upset.. it's because he's such a nice guy too
    About 6 years ago I met a guy who was mutual friends with someone I know and we spent a drunken night together. 6 weeks later he moved to Australia, how familiar your story sounds! We both really liked each other and if he hadn't gone, we both agreed something could have happened between us.

My advice, as someone who has been in the exact same position is keep your distance. I went down the very stupid road of seeing him constantly before he went and I fell so hard for him and it was even harder when he left. It took me a good 4 years to get past it as every time he came home (he travelled a lot for work, was out of the country for a year and then came back for a few months, and repeat), we ended up picking back up where we left off. It was a mess for me as I struggled to move on. It was easier for him because he was off elsewhere out of his normal routine with lots of distractions and he moved on.

I really wish that I'd kept it as a one night thing as it messed with me emotionally for years. He'll always be the one that got away. To top things off, my best friend is now in a serious relationship with his best friend. I have to see him quite a lot and it still feels weird after all these years! If it had been a one night thing, life would have been a lot simpler.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    yea you win

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ... Holy ****
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    ... Holy ****
    Yeah, **** happens. It's just trying to find a way to live with the fact that if I hadn't said that one thing, she might still be alive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.