Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have an offer for the PGCE Primary to start in Sept '16 and I'm just trying to find other people who are going to be doing a PGCE (Primary or Secondary) at Durham this year as well?

I'm also coming from Northern Ireland so I'm still trying to decide if it's better to live on or off campus or which college...

Hope we can chat about the lead up to the course, accommodations, colleges etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I also have an offer for the PGCE Primary starting in September. I'm local though so won't be living, just commuting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trickynicky87)
    Hi, I also have an offer for the PGCE Primary starting in September. I'm local though so won't be living, just commuting
    Glad to connect with someone else I'm thinking I'll probably live off campus as it seems like the colleges are pretty expensive so I'm hoping I can find another couple of PGCE students to share a house with. Have you heard any more info about the course yet?

I got an email today about picking a college. Have you thought about it much? Obviously it's not as big a deal since neither of us are living in but would be nice to have a bit of a community. I was maybe thinking Hild Bede but still not too sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach-AM)
    Glad to connect with someone else I'm thinking I'll probably live off campus as it seems like the colleges are pretty expensive so I'm hoping I can find another couple of PGCE students to share a house with. Have you heard any more info about the course yet?

I got an email today about picking a college. Have you thought about it much? Obviously it's not as big a deal since neither of us are living in but would be nice to have a bit of a community. I was maybe thinking Hild Bede but still not too sure.
    Yeah i did think about applying however it would be purely for selfish reasons. I'm just going to wait and be allocated one as i don't want to take a place from someone who wants it. Plus with me not living in and the demands of the course i'm not sure how social im going to be.

I haven't heard anything regarding the course, but going from previous years posts we should start hearing towards the end of March and there will be a Facebook group set up then. At the minute im just trying to get the most out of my one day a week placement and read as much as i can.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have an offer for the PGCE Primary to start in Sept '16 and I'm just trying to find other people who are going to be doing a PGCE (Primary or Secondary) at Durham this year as well?

I'm also coming from Northern Ireland so I'm still trying to decide if it's better to live on or off campus or which college...

Hope we can chat about the lead up to the course, accommodations, colleges etc.
    Hi,
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I also have an offer for Sept 16/17. I am a very mature student but I also have two young children (6 and 8) whom I look after mostly on my own. I have my own home about 8 miles from Durham so like trickynicky87 I doubt whether I will be that involved in the colleges and the social/formal dinner side of things. I don't know whether this puts me at a disadvantage or not. I'm not on any placements at the moment but I am trying to cram in as much reading as possible . I'm looking forward to getting started but I am also slightly nervous about being able to juggle the workload and the demands of my children. Looking forward to seeing you all soon. :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an offer for Primary PGCE in September as well!

I am also debating between college accommodation and off-campus. I spoke to someone on the course this year and they recommended a house in Gilesgate however there doesn't seem to be any houses that sublet rooms and couldn't find any pages for people looking for housemates. Was hoping that once the Facebook page is set up would find some housemates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethKob)
    Hi,

I am also debating between college accommodation and off-campus. I spoke to someone on the course this year and they recommended a house in Gilesgate however there doesn't seem to be any houses that sublet rooms and couldn't find any pages for people looking for housemates. Was hoping that once the Facebook page is set up would find some housemates!
    Hi,I am sure once the Facebook page is up and running you will find plenty of others in your situation and Durham itself is not massive so most student accommodation is close enough. Where are you coming to Durham from ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yeah, i think once the facebook page is up and running you'll manage to get something sorted. Its nice to finally speak to people in the same position as me. Look forward to meeting everyone

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I also have an offer for Primary PGCE in September for Durham

I'm currently living in New Zealand coming back home in May I feel a little out of the loop in regards to information! I'm quite lucky though I have a few friends from my undergraduate degree who have either finished the PGCE or are currently doing it so that's been handy to ask a few questions!
    I will be living at home in Middlesbrough but I have chosen the college of St Hild and St Bede as its on the school of education campus and I heard it was handy for that reason

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighann92)
    Hi,

I also have an offer for Primary PGCE in September for Durham

I'm currently living in New Zealand coming back home in May I feel a little out of the loop in regards to information! I'm quite lucky though I have a few friends from my undergraduate degree who have either finished the PGCE or are currently doing it so that's been handy to ask a few questions!
    I will be living at home in Middlesbrough but I have chosen the college of St Hild and St Bede as its on the school of education campus and I heard it was handy for that reason

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
    Nice to hear someone else is going from Middlesbrough

ReputationRep:
    Aw yey that's good trickynicky87! I'm actually from Marske-by-the-sea but it's easier to say Middlesbrough if people aren't from the area haha!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighann92)
    Aw yey that's good trickynicky87! I'm actually from Marske-by-the-sea but it's easier to say Middlesbrough if people aren't from the area haha!!
    Well hit me up when you're back if you wanna meet for a coffee before we start?

ReputationRep:
    Aw thanks that would be nice!! so worried starting a course and not knowing anyone haha! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey,

I have an offer for a PGCE in secondary school.

when will this Facebook page be up? as i have so many questions like,

what college is best for PGCE?
    if i will need a car to travel too and from placement?
    im i best living on or off campus?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hi Beth! I was like you debating whether to go for on campus or off but the more I think about it I think that off would be much better when doing the PGCE as I'm sure we'll have a lot of work. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Durham or from around that area (I'm coming from Northern Ireland) so will be looking for a housemate as well. If you're still looking for a housemate, I'd be interested and then maybe we can find a couple more once the facebook page is up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alicejane19)
    hey,

I have an offer for a PGCE in secondary school.

when will this Facebook page be up? as i have so many questions like,

what college is best for PGCE?
    if i will need a car to travel too and from placement?
    im i best living on or off campus?
    Hi, I'm currently a student at Durham and have a place for the Maths PGCE secondary starting in September. If you have any questions just fire away, Ill try help as much as I can.
    Basically you can apply to any college, it just depends if you want to live in college or not. Each college has its own little quirky features so it depends what you want and how involved you want to be with college.
    Living in College has its perks, such as you would be fully catered and your room would be cleaned for you. I live in College this year (my final year of undergraduate) and it is very convenient and helpful. However College is more expensive than a house in the city will be.
    As for a car, I was told at my interview that I would need a car, but think it depends on what PGCE you're doing.
    Hope that helps :

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hi, I'm currently in Durham for my undergraduate degree and have a place to stay here for PGCE secondary in September.
    Gilesgate is the closest area to the school of education so a house there would be convenient. If you did want to get a house sorted now a lot more estate agents are now selling student accommodation by the room. So if you got in touch with them, or look on websites like sturents i'm sure you'd find something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahMH)
    Hi, I'm currently a student at Durham and have a place for the Maths PGCE secondary starting in September. If you have any questions just fire away, Ill try help as much as I can.
    Basically you can apply to any college, it just depends if you want to live in college or not. Each college has its own little quirky features so it depends what you want and how involved you want to be with college.
    Living in College has its perks, such as you would be fully catered and your room would be cleaned for you. I live in College this year (my final year of undergraduate) and it is very convenient and helpful. However College is more expensive than a house in the city will be.
    As for a car, I was told at my interview that I would need a car, but think it depends on what PGCE you're doing.
    Hope that helps :

Hi Sarah, what do you think of Hild Bede college? I hear that it is closest to the school of education so even if I'm not living in I was thinking it would be good to get together for social stuff. I also heard that they have a good drama group?

Do you think you'll stay living in college next year or are you going to try and find house mates? Gilesgate sounds like a good bet from what I hear but I'm pretty skeptical about going on a random allocation to a room as I had a really bad roommate experience here in NI last year and want to make sure I'm with like minded people this year - so far everyone I've spoken that's doing the PGCE on here seems pretty nice

ReputationRep:
    Hi Beth! I was like you debating whether to go for on campus or off but the more I think about it I think that off would be much better when doing the PGCE as I'm sure we'll have a lot of work. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Durham or from around that area (I'm coming from Northern Ireland) so will be looking for a housemate as well. If you're still looking for a housemate, I'd be interested and then maybe we can find a couple more once the facebook page is up?
    Yes! The prices are so much cheaper so I'lI definitely be going off campus for accommodation. Yeah I'm sure once the page gets created they'll be more people looking.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sarah, what do you think of Hild Bede college? I hear that it is closest to the school of education so even if I'm not living in I was thinking it would be good to get together for social stuff. I also heard that they have a good drama group?

Do you think you'll stay living in college next year or are you going to try and find house mates? Gilesgate sounds like a good bet from what I hear but I'm pretty skeptical about going on a random allocation to a room as I had a really bad roommate experience here in NI last year and want to make sure I'm with like minded people this year - so far everyone I've spoken that's doing the PGCE on here seems pretty nice
    Hi, Yeah Hild Bede is the closest to the school of education and the closest to gilesgate. All the social stuff for the uni is organised within Colleges so if you fancy going to formals or balls or things like that and want them to be close then Hild Bede is convenient. But no where in Durham isn't walking distance, max 25 minutes walk to pretty much anywhere. I'm currently at Van Mildert so don't know much about Hild Bede but if you look online you can find things, this is there website
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/hild-bede/post...social_spaces/
    but every college has drama groups and music groups and sport etc. There used to be, and maybe still is, a quiz online by durham university to help you figure out which college is best for you.
    I'm not staying in college next year, I'm currently looking for a house.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.