Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm sure there are already a few posts on this but I was just wondering if current student nurses or newly qualified nurses or indeed any nurses at all could offer a list of maybe a few things that they feel are essential for new student nurses starting in 2016.

Anything from books to shoes, equipment or any advice that they can offer or things they wish they'd known before they started on their journey to becoming a nurse.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your replies!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by allym123)
    Hello

I'm sure there are already a few posts on this but I was just wondering if current student nurses or newly qualified nurses or indeed any nurses at all could offer a list of maybe a few things that they feel are essential for new student nurses starting in 2016.

Anything from books to shoes, equipment or any advice that they can offer or things they wish they'd known before they started on their journey to becoming a nurse.

Fobwatch, some Clark unloops and maybe an a&p book that takes your fancy otherwise the library should have you covered for everything else.

ReputationRep:
    Hiii! I start my nurse training in March I've written a list (geek) and I've put things like- 6 note pads (one for each module), pencils, good pens, different coloured pens, highlighters, tipex, rubber, post it notes, wallets (one for each module), plastic wallets, folder, good diary/organiser, calculator, pencil case, good size bag. I also have a little nurses handbook (was given by a work a friend) and it's brilliant they have loads on Amazon and Itl be good for pre reading before you even start. They have Also I haven't bothered with shoes yet as you don't go to placement till about 2 months after you start and clarks are expensive so I'm just gonna wait till they are needed. Hope this helps theyl probably be other things!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really it depends on how you like to organise your work etc and what modules you will have...
    A good few lever arch files I've found are useful.
    Then your usual stationary (free pens are a must from the unions that usually come into university to see you all!)
    Fob watch, a little notebook for you to make notes on placement.
    A good anatomy and physiology book, but all universities prefer different ones so usually best waiting to see what they recommend.
    A good alarm clock!
    And a diary to keep note of assignment deadlines, placement hours, mileage etc.
    But most things the university will give you guidance on what you need etc when you start ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fob watch
    Nursing scissors
    Pen torch
    Lots of black pens
    Red pens
    Board markers
    Highlighters
    Comfy shoes (I get all mine from Clarks and they last around 18 months - 2 years so definitely worth the money you pay)
    Royal Marsden Book of Clinical Procedures
    Maybe a good A&P book, but try out the ones in your library first then see which one you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allym123)
    Hello

Get yourself a top class water bottle. I have a 1L Camelbak Chute and I swear by it. I've had it for nearly a year and it's not leaked on me once, so my university paperwork was safe in the same bag! Yes it is big (There are smaller sizes available) but this means I drink more while I'm on a shift and I don't have to go to the water cooler as much to fill it up

A little lip balm - wards are hot and your lips will dry out.

Some universities will provide you with a name badge, others won't... Mine didn't. There are many websites where you can get custom made badges. I think it's a nice touch so that everyone who you come into contact with can see your name and designation.

Another thing to wait and see on, but if your tunics are white, make sure they're not see-through and consider buying some cheap white vest tops for underneath if they are.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)

Another thing to wait and see on, but if your tunics are white, make sure they're not see-through and consider buying some cheap white vest tops for underneath if they are.
    Ah ,the inconvenience of white tunics, i wish they were a more practical colour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    We had white tunics as a student, and I still have white as a qualified! Although my latest ones are better quality, I still wear a white t-shirt underneath to keep my modesty.

Oh, and pretty much every tunic has black pen on it somewhere. I've heard hairspray works to get it out, but it's not something I really have lying around my flat!!! :P
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    We had white tunics as a student, and I still have white as a qualified! Although my latest ones are better quality, I still wear a white t-shirt underneath to keep my modesty.

Oh, and pretty much every tunic has black pen on it somewhere. I've heard hairspray works to get it out, but it's not something I really have lying around my flat!!! :P
    I have to do the same with my tunics as they are certainly not the thickest of things, since i might not have a uniform when i m qualified i dont mind wearing it much. I have papermate pens which havent caused any stains yet (although i really need to stop giving out my pens to other staff:P) . Have you tried white vinegar on it or acetone is always cheap in superdrug ?

ReputationRep:
    White has to be the WORST colour for a student/nurse uniform!! Derby Uni recently changed theirs to white and it's just dreadful and they are really see through as well. They also look like a cross between dieticians/physios because of the colour of their lapel's. Horrible, horrible uniforms!!! If that's the case, you may need to keep a pot of vanish hehe!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ButterflyRN)
    White has to be the WORST colour for a student/nurse uniform!! Derby Uni recently changed theirs to white and it's just dreadful and they are really see through as well. They also look like a cross between dieticians/physios because of the colour of their lapel's. Horrible, horrible uniforms!!! If that's the case, you may need to keep a pot of vanish hehe!
    Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you there,my university doesn't have lapels on the uniform so it's almost all white, we have navy trousers and I ve always thought if the tunics were the same it d be much better.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you there,my university doesn't have lapels on the uniform so it's almost all white, we have navy trousers and I ve always thought if the tunics were the same it d be much better.
    Our trousers are blue/black. The trousers the Trust provide you with are navy blue but you don't have to wear the Trust's trousers. I binned mine after 2 days because I had a giant split down the leg lol. It says in our uniform policy that we can wear blue or black trousers and I wear black ones In our Trust our Staff Nurses wear like a royal blue, very similar to the blue on TSR forum! And the Sisters wear navy Nottingham students wear a sky blue colour uniform, and Derby now wear white, but their old one was a greyish blue with navy blue on the lapelle. Although not the best it was a bit more practical than the white they have now!

I don't know why university's and hospitals do it! Do they not know that we work with lots of bodily fluids and on occasion, mishaps happen?? Hehe! Even if a pen leaks in your pocket, white.... just... there's no hope lol!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Our trousers are blue/black. The trousers the Trust provide you with are navy blue but you don't have to wear the Trust's trousers. I binned mine after 2 days because I had a giant split down the leg lol. It says in our uniform policy that we can wear blue or black trousers and I wear black ones In our Trust our Staff Nurses wear like a royal blue, very similar to the blue on TSR forum! And the Sisters wear navy Nottingham students wear a sky blue colour uniform, and Derby now wear white, but their old one was a greyish blue with navy blue on the lapelle. Although not the best it was a bit more practical than the white they have now!

I don't know why university's and hospitals do it! Do they not know that we work with lots of bodily fluids and on occasion, mishaps happen?? Hehe! Even if a pen leaks in your pocket, white.... just... there's no hope lol!
    Royal blue sounds much nicer I may not end up having a uniform when I qualify but if I do that's the colour I would chose. I have 4 tunics so it's not too bad if there's a mishap but I ve got my fingers crossed that I won't end up needing replacements as they don't come cheap. When you were a student did you get your uniform to last the whole 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    Royal blue sounds much nicer I may not end up having a uniform when I qualify but if I do that's the colour I would chose. I have 4 tunics so it's not too bad if there's a mishap but I ve got my fingers crossed that I won't end up needing replacements as they don't come cheap. When you were a student did you get your uniform to last the whole 3 years?
    I have to say I think our uniforms as quite smart. Yes, my uniform managed to last me 3 years. I am not quite sure how as I put on over 2 stone. The trousers didn't last lol but I just bought new ones, but the tunics did even if I thought I was going to burst in it sometimes lol!!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I have to say I think our uniforms as quite smart. Yes, my uniform managed to last me 3 years. I am not quite sure how as I put on over 2 stone. The trousers didn't last lol but I just bought new ones, but the tunics did even if I thought I was going to burst in it sometimes lol!!!
    That's what I m worried about, the trousers are elasticated but the tunics have no give in them at all. Hopefully I ll make them last like your did

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.