Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, If it is ok with you, I would like to ask you a few questions based on DNA sequencing, I would really appreciate it if you could explain them to me ^ ^

In the OCR biology book ( By Sue Hocking, Peter Kennedy...)

On page 166 and 167 I do not understand figure 1: genome/ chromosome maps? and figure 2: what do they mean by sequencing BAC and overlapping fragment analysis? What is BAC ? I don't understand anything in both pages 166 and 167.

page 169 (chapter 2.2 9) I'm quite confused about DNA Probing and I do not understand figure 3 (DNA microarray).

Page 171, can you please explain the Stretch and challenge section, and what do they mean by antisense strands? Is the coding strand a sence strand and a template strand an antisense strand?

Can you please explain the difference between Automated DNA Sequencing and PCR in page 172; and what do they mean by "automated DNA sequencing is based on the "interrupted" PCR and electrophoresis"?

I really thank you for your assistance, understanding and time.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by IchiroKirio)
    Hi, If it is ok with you, I would like to ask you a few questions based on DNA sequencing, I would really appreciate it if you could explain them to me ^ ^

In the OCR biology book ( By Sue Hocking, Peter Kennedy...)

On page 166 and 167 I do not understand figure 1: genome/ chromosome maps? and figure 2: what do they mean by sequencing BAC and overlapping fragment analysis? What is BAC ? I don't understand anything in both pages 166 and 167.
    I don't have access to the OCR biology book, so I'll try my best to help. An overlapping set of DNA which can be used to represent a consensus region of DNA is called a contig. For a more thorough explanation of this and BAC, you should read this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contig

page 169 (chapter 2.2 9) I'm quite confused about DNA Probing and I do not understand figure 3 (DNA microarray).
    I don't have access to the figure, so unfortunately I can't help you. DNA probing is the process of attaching a chemical isotope to the DNA which acts as a probe, allowing for DNA screening.

Page 171, can you please explain the Stretch and challenge section, and what do they mean by antisense strands? Is the coding strand a sence strand and a template strand an antisense strand?
    DNA is double layered, it has two strands which are complementary to each other. One of these strands is called the sense strand, this strand contains the mRNA template. However, it is the DNA anti-sense strand which acts as the template. Since the mRNA has to be completely complementary to the sense strand, it is transcribed from the DNA anti-sense strand. So yes, what you said was correct.

Can you please explain the difference between Automated DNA Sequencing and PCR in page 172; and what do they mean by "automated DNA sequencing is based on the "interrupted" PCR and electrophoresis"?
    Automated DNA sequencing refers to a next generation sequencing technology, this can be illumina or Roche 454 Life Sciences as examples, which allows for enhanced DNA sequencing. PCR is a method of generating massive amounts of DNA from a single sequence using a thermocycler and added DNA components. PCR doesn't sequence DNA, whereas DNA sequencing does. If you want more information on both of these, I strongly recommend looking them up on Google. If I tried to explain both more thoroughly I would be here all day

Lastly, I'm not sure what context the "automated DNA sequencing is based on the "interrupted" PCR and electrophoresis"?" has been taken from or what it is referring to, so I cannot help you there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.