Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMolly)
    That's awful! It's cool, I'm always down for listening to a rant :-)

(Bread tho)

That's a terrible attitude for a teacher to have :' I heard Russell Group unis are overrated and that it doesn't mean much anyway. Some of the best universities aren't in the Russell Group.

I've found history teachers in general to be pretty terrible... Or maybe that's just me.
    Haha, well yano, as Lenin would say 'Peace, Land and Bread'

Unfortunately my course is only available at Russell Group universities so I have no choice! And out of all the universities which I've looked at there's only one which I really, really liked and I can't see myself going anywhere else. The grades needed aren't even that high (BBB+B in EPQ) but I can't see myself even getting that!

Well, the history teacher which I've had since y9 who left in y12 was my favourite teacher of all time! He was the one who inspired me to study History at uni, and I did get an A* at GCSE Apart from the coursework teacher, my other history teacher is also great, he taught us a very complex topic so well, I would have probably ended up dropping history if it wasn't for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miajohnsonhall)
    for classification and diagnosis (at least in depression) the a02 marks are given in two halves, half the points should be around reliability and the other half around validity. to get full marks, its a bredth-depth play of, so the more you include the less detail you need to know them in (to a reasonable extent!)
    Considering all the controversy surrounding the pharmaceutical industries investment in the DSM5, id definitely put at least one point of IDA in! cultral bias in terms of variation in the perception of symptoms(also in terms of class variation) is another area where you can make good and simple IDA points.
    oops just realised that didnt answer your question at all.
    around 6 studies should be plenty, but you can probably use less if you learn lots of detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Lol have come to accept i am the only person in the world who likes diagnosis and classification questions. though, i think it came up last year?)
    r u okay

Yeah, came up as a 4 :') Could still get it as a 24 this year though, in which case I will eat the exam paper

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone kindly send me a good psy explanation of SZ? I do media and I have some good notes on research methods so I can see you some A/A* essays on that if you want !

ReputationRep:
    for classification and diagnosis (at least in depression) the a02 marks are given in two halves, half the points should be around reliability and the other half around validity. to get full marks, its a bredth-depth play of, so the more you include the less detail you need to know them in (to a reasonable extent!)
    Considering all the controversy surrounding the pharmaceutical industries investment in the DSM5, id definitely put at least one point of IDA in! cultral bias in terms of variation in the perception of symptoms(also in terms of class variation) is another area where you can make good and simple IDA points.
    Okay thank you.
    I've talked about validity and reliability + some studies and I have mentioned gender bias and ethical issues.

What are your predictions for depression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleming1928)
    Haha, well yano, as Lenin would say 'Peace, Land and Bread'

Unfortunately my course is only available at Russell Group universities so I have no choice! And out of all the universities which I've looked at there's only one which I really, really liked and I can't see myself going anywhere else. The grades needed aren't even that high (BBB+B in EPQ) but I can't see myself even getting that!

Well, the history teacher which I've had since y9 who left in y12 was my favourite teacher of all time! He was the one who inspired me to study History at uni, and I did get an A* at GCSE Apart from the coursework teacher, my other history teacher is also great, he taught us a very complex topic so well, I would have probably ended up dropping history if it wasn't for him.
    Oh What's your course?
    I have that problem, I only want to go to one uni and I need AAB so that means I need an A in psych and ah
    Oh, it's just me then :-) So many good teachers have left my school too, I think it's just gonna fall apart

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants me to look at/mark any PSYA3/4 questions feel free to send them me via pm :-)

Gender/relationships/ aggression/schizo/media only!

ReputationRep:
    Oh What's your course?
    I have that problem, I only want to go to one uni and I need AAB so that means I need an A in psych and ah
    Oh, it's just me then :-) So many good teachers have left my school too, I think it's just gonna fall apart
    History and Russian
    Woah AAB is so high, I could only dream of it. Best of luck though, just make sure to keep practicing them essays
    Same here. My psychology teacher is leaving at the end of this year too so there's literally no hope

ReputationRep:
    History and Russian
    Woah AAB is so high, I could only dream of it. Best of luck though, just make sure to keep practicing them essays
    Same here. My psychology teacher is leaving at the end of this year too so there's literally no hope
    That's so groovy I guess that's pretty rare though!
    I know, sigh :-( I will, even if it makes me insane :-)
    So many people are leaving the profession, it's such a shame.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, same here.

Ngl, Russia is my favourite (I've applied to study History and Russian at uni). Last year our teacher that taught us Russia left just before Christmas and all our new teacher did was talk about bread everyone failed the exam because we didn't even know what war communism was! Luckily the resit was about the 1905 revolution which was quite easy. I hope it goes well for you, A2 history is really, really hard. The essay structure for the Holocaust was just a joke, it was all about theories and stuff, and analysing extracts, and picking strengths and weaknesses. You could literally sit the exam without having any knowledge about the Holocaust because it was just some complex historian views and the analysis which mattered.
    The grade boundaries may be low if everyone is finding it equally as hard, but as you said your teacher isn't much help. I hope it goes well!
    :laugh: bread of all things. Your teachers sound even worse than mine and mine are really bad (well except my Psych teacher ). Thanks .Tbh I always thought A level History would be nice and straightforward and would cushion the pressure of doing A level Biology but oh how wrong I was! That sounds a bit like my coursework and sounds definitely like something our school should have done this year haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oiseaux)
    :laugh: bread of all things. Your teachers sound even worse than mine and mine are really bad (well except my Psych teacher ). Thanks .Tbh I always thought A level History would be nice and straightforward and would cushion the pressure of doing A level Biology but oh how wrong I was! That sounds a bit like my coursework and sounds definitely like something our school should have done this year haha.
    Haha, thankfully my psych teacher is really good!
    Oh don't even get me started on biology, I dropped it right at the start of y12 because on our first ever mock everyone (and I mean everyone) got Us. I have never gotten a U in my life so I dropped it immediately. I was right to do so, as everyone who did biology failed it (or got like a C). Everyone who took all 3 sciences had to resit y12.

Luckily we got to pick our coursework topics so I chose Stalin. Since our exam was on Hitler, my EPQ was about Mussolini I decided to get the complete trio of dictators

That's so groovy I guess that's pretty rare though!
    I know, sigh :-( I will, even if it makes me insane :-)
    So many people are leaving the profession, it's such a shame.
    I know .. if Only I had picked History and German I wouldn't have this problem
    Just two more weeks of psychology and you'll never have to worry about it again!
    True, I want to become a lecturer one day which is close enough I guess

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else else have AQA unit 4 chemistry and psychology unit 4 on the same day and just accepting imminent death
    I do and I've accepted failing one of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thankfully my psych teacher is really good!
    Oh don't even get me started on biology, I dropped it right at the start of y12 because on our first ever mock everyone (and I mean everyone) got Us. I have never gotten a U in my life so I dropped it immediately. I was right to do so, as everyone who did biology failed it (or got like a C). Everyone who took all 3 sciences had to resit y12.

Luckily we got to pick our coursework topics so I chose Stalin. Since our exam was on Hitler, my EPQ was about Mussolini I decided to get the complete trio of dictators
    That was literally our class too at the beginning but I stuck by it and let me tell you, some days I've regretted that decision, ha ha. Haha ictators are the best topics to study. I've always wanted to study Mussolini... maybe I'll add it to my list of things to do during this long summer (if this History exam doesn't kill all my love for History). Let's just hope the Psychology predictions are accurate and we're sorted for one subject at least haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georginarosee)
    Okay thank you.
    I've talked about validity and reliability + some studies and I have mentioned gender bias and ethical issues.

What are your predictions for depression?
    Biological therapies, or classification n diagnosis? I think they're most likely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oiseaux)
    That was literally our class too at the beginning but I stuck by it and let me tell you, some days I've regretted that decision, ha ha. Haha ictators are the best topics to study. I've always wanted to study Mussolini... maybe I'll add it to my list of things to do during this long summer (if this History exam doesn't kill all my love for History). Let's just hope the Psychology predictions are accurate and we're sorted for one subject at least haha.
    Oh wow, I applaud you for your bravery
    Thank you, someone finally agrees with me. I'd say that out of the 3 he's the least interesting one, he was just so incompetent ... but if you have a good knowledge of Hitler then it links in quite nicely.
    And if you do decide to increase your knowledge about Mussolini over summer, and if you already have quite a good knowledge about Hitler, you should spare a few hours over the summer the watch Charlie Chaplin's Great Dictator. You've probably seen the ending speech already, but it's a really funny film if you know the historical background

Whether they're accurate or not, I'm still having problems with remembering the content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle_w)
    I have chemistry too but OCR instead 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too
    All on the same day 😪😭
    I've given up fml

ReputationRep:
    I know I've asked this before but I've forgotten.. It's lost in this thread somewhere... If the question says 'assess' what does this mean?
    AO1 or AO2/3 or both?

ReputationRep:
    Im reallly confused for relationships Can someone explain to me how the computer dance study doesnt support the matching hypothesis? Arent they both based on attraction so i wouldve thought it was support?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artymaniac)
    Im reallly confused for relationships Can someone explain to me how the computer dance study doesnt support the matching hypothesis? Arent they both based on attraction so i wouldve thought it was support?
    Sorry this is a brief reply but it doesn't support the realistic choices aspect of the theory because the less desirable participants still went with the more desirable ones

ReputationRep:
    Uppp super early today to revise! I'm motivated to get through every essay and then hopefully once more Will check back here tonight x Good luck with all your revision guys x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.