Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemountain)
    tbh i'm really just applying IDA, like i've talked about RLA and gender bias in research.... i've linked Steptoe's study that women are more concerned with health than men to gender and you could probably link Becker's study of anorexia to RLA
    do you think this question has a high change it will come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullseye1)
    How can determinism be used for a social approach?
    Deindividuation:
    it asserts that individuals who feel anonymity due to group settings will resort to impulsive and aggressive behaviour. However humans in such groups often engage in peaceful protests, even when there is a sense of anonymity.

It is argued instead (Postmes and Spears) that they take on the group norms, which are used as guidance for future behaviours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charanjittt)
    do you think this question has a high change it will come
    I think it's the second most likely, if you're still stuck I'd be happy to share my AO2/3 points? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by кяя)
    Guys should I include this in my cultural influences on gender role essay? Is it relevant?
    Yes it is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    I clearly gave useful advice when youre the one who though reductionism could be used for non bio theories.... If you write about genes in an evolutionary essay of course its going to be wrong, but when writing about evolution and referencing reductionism its classed as biological.
    Ok, lol you write reductionism for non bio theories when AQA have stated its wrong and it should be used for bio theories only, saj who did loopa has even accepted this whos stated this exact thing... So yeh, write it and lose marks youre the one whos being stubborn about something.
    Where did i say you SHOULD put determinism for every theory..... Youre the one whos brain cant comprehend something like CAN and SHOULD. Theres a difference.
    "To write a good essay dont put determinism for every theory", yes because i said in order to have a good essay you have to have determinism... You literally have zero understanding and comprehension.
    Im not going to specify every question determinism can be used for.... It CAN be used for anything and thats upto someone to decide if its appropriate and relevant to the question or whether there is a better IDA point. Im not going to sit here and tell someone what it can and cant be used for.

"Grammar is awful", typical of someone to bring something like that up on the Internet in which no one is being assessed on grammar... If it was an exam i dont think i would write like this, unlike you i understand and can comprehend theres a difference between two things like CAN and SHOULD, or in this case understand theres a difference between, an EXAM, and a thread on TSR...

But keep being pedantic and arguing over something youre wrong about im not even going to bother replying to you when AQA, YES AQA have said it reductionism should only be used for biological theories, and DETERMINISM CAN be used for all theories where appropriate.
    No I didn't and in markschemes reductionism is a relevant IDA for non-biological theories and non-evolutionary theories. Where have AQA stated it's wrong, I'll believe you if you link me to a direct quote. What's the point of saying you CAN do something when people are interested in what you SHOULD do, it's unhelpful advice, yeah you CAN turn up to your psychology and leave your paper blank, however you wouldn't do that so why even suggest something you CAN do, but wouldn't benefit you.

And about the grammar, in an online forum where we're talking about education and a subject where you're assessed on quality of written communication, I'd expect more, some of what you type I can't even understand. Yeah you don't have to use perfect grammar but at least make sure what you're saying makes sense.

Oh, and a nice quote for you from AQA: "Disappointingly, there were few signs of improvement in students’ understanding of IDA. Alltheories are determinist (they are trying to explain what ‘determines’ behaviour) so there is littlevalue in using this criteria for evaluating a theory unless the implications are explored." - this is what i've been saying the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about the nature/nurture debate in essay that is it okay to say that to focus purely on nature is reductionist even if your actual essay isn't about a biological theory?

ReputationRep:
    Guys i need a model answer for group displays as evolutionary explanations for aggression, any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanna23810)
    If you're talking about the nature/nurture debate in essay that is it okay to say that to focus purely on nature is reductionist even if your actual essay isn't about a biological theory?
    I don't think so... Nature implies natural causes such as biology or evolution. Nurture is the external environment, (upbringing or pressure of) societal roles.

I'd keep nature to biological/evolutionary theories.

ReputationRep:
    The exam seems so close yet so far away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohayfaa)
    Cultural influences on gender help anyone?
    Essay and memory story for easy recall
    https://youtu.be/BuKHyvtmQJE
    https://youtu.be/nXOtPPpVr5c

ReputationRep:
    anyone else f***ed for this exam even though they've done 43479 years of revision. It just doesn't stick in my head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemountain)
    I think it's the second most likely, if you're still stuck I'd be happy to share my AO2/3 points? :-)
    yes please

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have M1 and PSYA3 on Wednesday? I'm absolutely dreading both, not prepared at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellahenschel)
    anyone else f***ed for this exam even though they've done 43479 years of revision. It just doesn't stick in my head
    Yep, I am sooo ****ed... lol

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify, for aggression, is it high or low serotonin that is connected with aggression? Or both? My textbooks and notes are both kind of vague and give studies suggesting both high and low serotonin levels are responsible. I know that testosterone reduces serotonin, which is why high testosterone and low serotonin are both associated with aggression, yet some studies say that it is high serotonin linked to aggression. Which is it, just low, or both? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    Just to clarify, for aggression, is it high or low serotonin that is connected with aggression? Or both? My textbooks and notes are both kind of vague and give studies suggesting both high and low serotonin levels are responsible. I know that testosterone reduces serotonin, which is why high testosterone and low serotonin are both associated with aggression, yet some studies say that it is high serotonin linked to aggression. Which is it, just low, or both? Thanks.
    Low serotonin. Studies like Ferarri's who found lower serotonin in rats anticipating a fight. Also there's Brown as well who found lower serotonin in individuals displaying aggressive behaviour.

Altered dopamine somehow influences aggression (not sure if high or low)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    My teacher taught us to use the phrase 'unstable levels' of serotonin so it could be high or low, and you get good marks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM)
    Send it me via pm
    It's not letting me pm you the scan for some reason so ill just post it here
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    My crazy bish neighbour decided to bring her little chits out to play so now I can't concentrate on my work. There is a fking boy dressed as Elsa running around the fkin garden and screaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    Sure
    Its not letting me send by pm for some reason but here you go, thanks . Im probably gonna change it as i think its got too much research for an AO1
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.