Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekah22)
    That's my problem - I don't know whether to be using all the studies like Mead and Berry and Williams and Best as AO1 or AO2 because either way it is leaving the other section completely limited??
    For AO1, we learnt about how in Western cultures, 2 sexes are generally recognised and this is determined by genitalia whereas in non-Western cultures a 3rd or even 4th gender is recognised and that some cultures have individuals who were born male but identify as female (for example, Hijras from India and Fa'afafines from Samoa). I hope this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    Pretty sure they can and are likely to be separate. The way I learnt them was as separate questions at least.
    Thanks! We were taught them separately but I couldn't remember seeing a question where they were completely separated

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else doing obesity as the eating disorder? It's so annoying not having pages in the textbook to use for it lol

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd do the behavioural approach aka SLT because with SLT being a thing in so many topics I'd be pretty sure I've got at least a couple marks lol

(also I assume you mean Anorexia not anxiety?)
    Yeah I do but I havent learned that, I have learned Media, Perfectionism (personality), Culture and Ethnicity. These are all quite small paras, but together they'd get me the marks, kinda nervous if i only get to pick one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pelababy)
    yep, im doing aggression, relationships and eating behaviour and i haven't started aggression yet :/ Its an afternoon exam tho so as long as you work tonight and then get up early and revise you should be okay,
    im doing aggression, relationships and gender, and havent started relationships yet :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fakenamedelete)
    Thanks! We were taught them separately but I couldn't remember seeing a question where they were completely separated
    I think they've given you the choice before - either explain biological or psychological - and I'd imagine that's as close as they'd get, I don't think they'd expect an essay that details them separately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    Yeah I do but I havent learned that, I have learned Media, Perfectionism (personality), Culture and Ethnicity. These are all quite small paras, but together they'd get me the marks, kinda nervous if i only get to pick one?
    Ah well SLT would probably go under media there (people see role models on TV and develop AN trying to starve themselves to look like models, they get positive reinforcement from people when they lose weight which makes them keep doing it (operant conditioning) also they associate super skinny people on TV as successful which makes them want to be the same as them (classical conditioning).

Then support it with the Becker Fiji study if you have that one?

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that examiners in the report often complain about student not mentioning 'implications' of IDA's and evaluations. How do we do this? for example if I mention that a study conducted on animals cannot be generalised to the human population, what next?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys what are the predictions for tomo?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any IDAs for parental investment

ReputationRep:
    Ah well SLT would probably go under media there (people see role models on TV and develop AN trying to starve themselves to look like models, they get positive reinforcement from people when they lose weight which makes them keep doing it (operant conditioning) also they associate super skinny people on TV as successful which makes them want to be the same as them (classical conditioning).

Then support it with the Becker Fiji study if you have that one?
    Yeah I do, about that study actually, It goes that they wanted role models on TV (thin models), and wanted to become right them right? But the disadvantage says that 'Instructional intervention occured due to exposure to idealised female images' This is what it says in the book, what does that actually mean?

ReputationRep:
    For loopas prediction for the roles of genes and hormones for gender, is that the biological explanations of gender dysphoria?
    im doing gender, aggression and sleep which would be the main essay for each would you recommend to learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toetothunder)
    I've noticed that examiners in the report often complain about student not mentioning 'implications' of IDA's and evaluations. How do we do this? for example if I mention that a study conducted on animals cannot be generalised to the human population, what next?
    Using your example, a study that cannot be generalised to humans would mean that the study support is weak and/or questionable, meaning that the study as a whole is questionable and that more research must be done as it isn't sufficient by itself.

ReputationRep:
    I have my PSYA3 at 10:30am tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    Yeah I do, about that study actually, It goes that they wanted role models on TV (thin models), and wanted to become right them right? But the disadvantage says that 'Instructional intervention occured due to exposure to idealised female images' This is what it says in the book, what does that actually mean?
    ... Honestly I have no idea I've never heard that bit. Sounds like maybe they're saying that exposing them to thin models was bad as it lead to AN? And the interventions were to help? I'm not sure, my textbook doesn't have that bit, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pombok)
    :0 so you'll know the questions before we sit the paper ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieschofield)
    :0 so you'll know the questions before we sit the paper ??
    Yeah. I'm being kept in isolation for basically the whole day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieschofield)
    Anyone got any IDAs for parental investment
    -Outdated - women don't need no man these days
    -Doesn't take adopted/fostered kids into account (why do people invest in kids that aren't passing on their genes?)
    -Reductionist - reduces complex experiences into simply doing everything due to getting survival advantages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pombok)
    That's a lot earlier than most people. We all have it around 1.15/1.30. Let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    If this makes anyone better...

I have both my PSYA3 and M1 exams tomorrow.
    And I have PSYA4 and F324 next week on the same day.

Pray for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.