The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IHatePsychology
Hope it's not Biosocial I don't know that. I really hope it's Gender dysp that's way easier and I know it perfectly lol.

did you not link them together?
I feel like I will literally be a blank slate when it'll come to answering the question...
Twitter cracks me up, i think everyone is relying on Loopas predictions haha
Talk about Monozyogtic twins and Dyzigotic

Then Adpotion and 14,000 study found bio fathers similar aggression to adopted kids therefore biolgical.

Then MAOA- Just outline the the family which has lots of murders and rapists and say that they had faulty gene which causes unstable maoa and that messed with sertonin.

Evaluation: Roles of gene hard to differenate between environemnt
Lack of generalisibility
Banduara had found no differene between MZ and DZ
Determinism
Gentic enginnering and implication if a gene is found
Knout out gene for animals- can show us effects of genes.

Thanks a lot,
could you expand just a bit on the last point about animals?
And would you chunk all your A01 together then evaluate or separate it out?
Thanks
Original post by charanjittt
biosocial approach to gender dysopria how did you link them together. and how did you evaluate the approach?

They're not really supposed to be linked because they're different topics. One way to link them though is that the biosocial approach is deterministic in ignoring the role of free will people have in determining their own identity such as people with gender dysphoria.

Real-life applications of GD: Understanding gender development can help individuals mislabeled at birth. Some people propose intersex individuals should be able to choose their gender when they are of age rather than have one assigned to them. This means society putting less emphasis on gender differences, recognising that they are mainly social constructs rather than biological.

Sensitive issues of GD - Seeing gender development as biological can lead to better treatment of transgenders as they have no control over these.
Seeing a social cause, can lead to further discrmination as transexuals are seen as acting in deviant ways on purpose.

The evaluations are more part of the studies. What studies do you have for GD?

Biosocial - Reductionist in not considering biological factors and cannot explain the role of prenatal hormones.

Deterministic - Sees environment as the cause of gender development, clearly not the case with Bruce Reimer. And what I said earlier with role of free will.

Real world application - Sees gender development as flexible, allowing for equal treatment between the genders. Feminist movement has contributed to equality through achieving equal pay and maternity cover.

Sensitive issues - what I said earlier with discrimination but SOCIAL aspects only.
Original post by student420
Thanks a lot,
could you expand just a bit on the last point about animals?
And would you chunk all your A01 together then evaluate or separate it out?
Thanks

Animals can have their genes removed from them and we can see the different genes can have. Can't do it on humans for ethical reasons. So we can you this to look at certain genes and see their effects. Removing gene 100 may cause less aggression therefore proving a gene for aggression.

Then you just say not transferable to humans. For another point.

I'd just chunk it but that's me. You do you. I do it because it helps me get out the had a01 crap soon or i'd waste all day on it lol.
Do we get marked down for poor spelling? Mines gona be awful..
Sorry ik this may have already been asked but are there any last minute predictions or gender aggression and relationships & most of all best of luck everyone x
How this exam could either go so well or so badly just as a matter of if the predictions come up or not is so scary :frown:
Original post by undine_monty
They're not really supposed to be linked because they're different topics. One way to link them though is that the biosocial approach is deterministic in ignoring the role of free will people have in determining their own identity such as people with gender dysphoria.

Real-life applications of GD: Understanding gender development can help individuals mislabeled at birth. Some people propose intersex individuals should be able to choose their gender when they are of age rather than have one assigned to them. This means society putting less emphasis on gender differences, recognising that they are mainly social constructs rather than biological.

Sensitive issues of GD - Seeing gender development as biological can lead to better treatment of transgenders as they have no control over these.
Seeing a social cause, can lead to further discrmination as transexuals are seen as acting in deviant ways on purpose.

The evaluations are more part of the studies. What studies do you have for GD?

Biosocial - Reductionist in not considering biological factors and cannot explain the role of prenatal hormones.

Deterministic - Sees environment as the cause of gender development, clearly not the case with Bruce Reimer. And what I said earlier with role of free will.

Real world application - Sees gender development as flexible, allowing for equal treatment between the genders. Feminist movement has contributed to equality through achieving equal pay and maternity cover.

Sensitive issues - what I said earlier with discrimination but SOCIAL aspects only.

what is the biosocial approach? like i've done nothing on it:colondollar:
Original post by SunDun111
Do we get marked down for poor spelling? Mines gona be awful..

No I don't think so unless it's actually affecting the essay, if it's just a few nervous mistakes I reckon it'll be fine!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
is just 1 IDA point per essay okay?
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Nope or atleast im certain otherwise it isnt a 24 mark essay and we end up doing 2 12 markers which isnt the spec as 12 markers cant really test a03

You can get 4+8 mark questions though. They've come up in the past (Jun and Jan 13 for example).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evekay

It's confusing I'd say there isn't a point in doing better to just go over the stuff you did. It's not too likely to come up.
It's confusing I'd say there isn't a point in doing better to just go over the stuff you did. It's not too likely to come up.

i hope so otherwise i am s c r e w e d
Original post by Oiseaux
You can get 4+8 mark questions though. They've come up in the past (Jun and Jan 13 for example).

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you include in that?? One study and a few eval points i mean 4 marks for a01 and then 8 for a02and a03? How would you structure that
Original post by evekay

Two theories: Money et al proposed that when a biological male or female is born and labelled as such, the exeriences, treatments and labels shape their gender development through social influences. Proposes prenatal interaction with biological factors. If a child is treated as a boy, regardless of gender, they will accept this as their gender identity provided this is done before the sensitive age of 3.

Social role theory - Wood et al. Evolutionary explanations are able to explain physical differences, but not psychological differences. Physical differences lead to different role allocations, so men and stronger and take the role of hunting, females, childcare. These different roles lead to psychological differences with men being more aggressive and women gentle. This can also explain aggressive behaviour with men being more aggressive causing testoterone release and women are gentle due to childcare experience. Social roles form based on these difference susggesting it is a social construct rather than biological.

This is AO1.

Bruce Reimer went against this. He was raised female under the advice of Money who thought if he was treated as a girl before the sensitive age of 3 he would adopt the gender identity. He didn't and was in constant turmoil, depressed till he found out the truth and transitioned back to male at 18, stating that he was relieved. This suggests how biology can ovveride social factors.
He had a twin brother who may have influenced his gender development through similarities in appearance.His exposure to his bro may have been a confounding varable.

Gearhart et al looked at 14 genetically born males with almost no penis raised as female. At 16, 8 transitioned back to male. It's important to note that 6 reamined female giving support to the theory as nurture and environment appeared to mitigate for biological factors.

Smith and Lloyd dressed babies in non-gender s[ecific clothing and gave them male or female names. Females were treated in feminine way, males masculine way supporting MOney's theory that gender development is affected by how those are perceived and treated by others.

Bradley et al reported on ne case of a man who had sex reassignment surgery after an accident to his penis. He showed male behaviours but identified as female suggesting biological factors do not determine gender identity.

The theory shows how nature and nurture interact with biological sex being based on physical differences which leads to different roles causing psychological differences. Nature is highlighted through Bruce Reimer, nurture is highlighted with Bradley et al.

The rest of the evaluation is above in a different post.
Reply 3277
I think Loopa predictions for aggression will be correct simply because institutionalisation came up in 2015 and social psychological explanations in 2014 so that means the predictions by Loopa are the ones that haven't appeared in a while.

I think regarding gender, I have such a feeling about Kohlberg, but if I was going to say it would be anything else I'd say dysphoria.

Relationships- feeling sexual selection or breakdown.
Original post by NHM
I think Loopa predictions for aggression will be correct simply because institutionalisation came up in 2015 and social psychological explanations in 2014 so that means the predictions by Loopa are the ones that haven't appeared in a while.

I think regarding gender, I have such a feeling about Kohlberg, but if I was going to say it would be anything else I'd say dysphoria.

Relationships- feeling sexual selection or breakdown.

Could you mark my sexual selection essay in that case? If you dont have time its fine just wondering.
Original post by Sukirtha
By 'detail' how much exactly do you mean? And even if we do more Ida it still counts as normal evaluation right?

Like summarise the methodology, mention design if it's relevant to a03 evaluation, eg. repeated measure removes individual differences, and summarise the findings and then make clear how this supports or challenges the theory. Yeah it does but I think making 3 explicit IDA points is a bit much, 2 at most I think or it looks like you can't think of anything, so if possible think of other wider evaluation.

Latest

Trending

Trending