Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM)
    Media doesn't have 12 mark questions, 10 max I've been putting around 3/4 in for a 10 marker...
    3-4 sounds like a lot? considering thats how many we need in a 24 marker... i've been doing 1-2 for a 10 marker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM)
    Media doesn't have 12 mark questions, 10 max I've been putting around 3/4 in for a 10 marker...
    Oh sorry I meant 10 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekay)
    3-4 sounds like a lot? considering thats how many we need in a 24 marker... i've been doing 1-2 for a 10 marker?
    I was thinking that too. I mean if we use 1 or 2 studies and include methodological critiques of the studies then that should boost AO2 marks right?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing Anomalistic?

If so do you have any notes for it? our teacher didn't teach **** this year, we have no class notes or anything. Literally so screwed gg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    I was thinking that too. I mean if we use 1 or 2 studies and include methodological critiques of the studies then that should boost AO2 marks right?
    that's what i thought!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone also explain to me type 1 and type 2 errors in research methods, it also confuses me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Can someone also explain to me type 1 and type 2 errors in research methods, it also confuses me
    Type 1 error involves falsely rejecting the null hypothesis i.e. saying your results were significant when they truly were not
    This could be caused by setting a too lenient significant level

Type 2 error involves falsely accepting the null hypothesis i.e. saying your results are not significant when they could have been
    This could be caused by setting a too strict/stringent significance level

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    not sure if you saw me say this earlier, but think of it like this:

with a type one error, the researchers are too cocky (so they think that their results are significant when in fact they're not)

with a type two error, the researchers are too modest (so they don't think they're results are significant when in fact they are)

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Can classification of depression/schizophrenia ever come up as an essay on its own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yung7up)
    Type 1 error involves falsely rejecting the null hypothesis i.e. saying your results were significant when they truly were not
    This could be caused by setting a too lenient significant level

Type 2 error involves falsely accepting the null hypothesis i.e. saying your results are not significant when they could have been
    This could be caused by setting a too strict/stringent significance level

Hope this helps
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekay)
    not sure if you saw me say this earlier, but think of it like this:

with a type one error, the researchers are too cocky (so they think that their results are significant when in fact they're not)

with a type two error, the researchers are too modest (so they don't think they're results are significant when in fact they are)

hope this helps
    Haha such a good way to remember it! I'm going to write this down and use it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Haha such a good way to remember it! I'm going to write this down and use it. Thanks
    haha i'm glad it helped! it went straight into my head and never left when my tutor told me

ReputationRep:
    HEY
    how many ao1 and ao2 would u need for a 24 mark on depression?? help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM)
    What the hell is that?
    Just a guess but a paradigm shift could refer to, in terms of research, dramatic improvements in data collecting. Cos a paradigm shift is a change in world-view so it's a reasonable guess, I think...
    No idea what the other one is.

They've never come up in AQA Research Methods papers I've done, though.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  181.4 KBUse this for type 1 and type 2 errors :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm just checking through my folder and for psychological explanations for schizophrenia, my essay includes cognitive and psychodynamic explanations, but would dysfunctional families be a relevant one or should I just leave it out?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants any model essays on pro and antisocial behaviour PM me ( I have ones including video games and computers also)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM)
    This is so good 😂!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM)

Love it! You guys are so helpful here. I've now got so many ways to understand it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Guys so I'm reading over sampling methods and it says that stratified & quota sampling is more likely to produce generalized data, but it doesn't say if that's a criticism or a strength.

What is it? D: Did it mean generalizable data?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.