Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babitajades)
    Ahh at least you've done a bit of Addiction which is the longest part of unit 4
    I just finished revising all the essays of sz so now i can begin addiction and research methods. I'm so worried i won't even make it do a D
    literally sameeeee because I screwed unit 3 up and I'm even worse at unit 4 :'(

ReputationRep:
    For Double bind i've just got one research supporting it by Berger and for EE i've made 2 points with research each supporting and criticism the approach.

EE- the points i made was research supporting that it relates to high rates of relapse and the other point was that the behavior of the parent's could be an effect of sz rather than cause.
    They're exactly the same points that I'm using! The study that I'm using for for EE is by Kavanagh. So should I include more??? I think psychodynamic talks about double bind too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    I really want that to come up as I'm prepared for it. I hope psychological explanations or psychological and biological therapies don't up
    How many points have you used for C+D? I've included low inter rater R, cultural bias, low test-retest R, low construct V then one supporting study for each point. Then I followed with the consequences e.g. self fulfilling prophecy, wrong treatment given, social implications of labelling...

How did you do yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    They're exactly the same points that I'm using! The study that I'm using for for EE is by Kavanagh. So should I include more??? I think psychodynamic talks about double bind too.
    Hahaha, yaa i used Kavanagh too!! Hmm.. instead of including more just remember extra general points like deterministic etc and if you get more time then include them. That's what i am doing right now because i don't want to waste any time correcting my essays..i just want to finish covering everything in general. Otherwise it's up you xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catriona Lucy)
    Hello everyone, new here Am I right in thinking that we don't need to use IDAs for this exam? If we did use them, would we still get marks?
    You do use IDAs!! Where did everyone get this from???
    In media and schizophrenia it is essential to include Issues and Debates especially. Don't worry about approaches so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjkj1998)
    In media and schizophrenia it is essential to include Issues and Debates especially. Don't worry about approaches so much.
    Ok thank you! I was told by my teacher but she's left for maternity leave so I can't double check with her!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh at least you've done a bit of Addiction which is the longest part of unit 4
    I just finished revising all the essays of sz so now i can begin addiction and research methods. I'm so worried i won't even make it do a D

Yeah, that's why I started with addiction first research methods is the hardest for me, I literally can't retain any information from research methods.
    I have done a little schizophrenia revision last week but I've forgotten most, I've done my plans though. DW, we still have basically 3 more days, I'm sure you'll do fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catriona Lucy)
    Ok thank you! I was told by my teacher but she's left for maternity leave so I can't double check with her!
    I was also told that there is no IDA for schizophrenia!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethM98)
    for research methods I'm really struggling cause ive always been pretty bad at them and i find its hard to revise them

I can relate I think I am going to get 10 marks most on research methods

ReputationRep:
    I was also told that there is no IDA for schizophrenia!

Seriously?? I thought there were loads?

ReputationRep:
    How many points have you used for C+D? I've included low inter rater R, cultural bias, low test-retest R, low construct V then one supporting study for each point. Then I followed with the consequences e.g. self fulfilling prophecy, wrong treatment given, social implications of labelling...

How did you do yours?
    One problem that I've stated is problems with reliability. In that I talk about problems with inter-rater reliability diagnosis and test-retest diagnosis. I've also stated that reliability has however improved with updated classification system such as DSM and ICD. For reaserch, I've included one to support the fact that diagnosis had improved with updated classification system and have another one by Read et al to support problems in inter- rater diagnosis.

For validity, I have stated that there may be problems with predictive validity, descriptive validity and aetiologocal validity. I've included a study by Rosenhan to support this.

I've included cultural bias issues and used a study by Cochrane.
    I also have issues such as co-morbidly and used a study by Buckley.

I've included additional points like the fact that diagnosis relies self-report so It may not be accurate. However, I have stated that although there are problems with reliably, it is however much superior than other classifications of disorders such as for anxiety it's 63% whereas for schizophrenia it is 81% but I'll stick that in the reliability paragraph.

My teacher said use only 3 studies and one overall point for 24 marks.

ReputationRep:
    for phobias, can someone explain ao1 for issues in classification and diagnosis? so basically reliability and validity?

ReputationRep:
    There is no IDA requirement in unit 4.

You will get marks if you use them as evaluation points though.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, yaa i used Kavanagh too!! Hmm.. instead of including more just remember extra general points like deterministic etc and if you get more time then include them. That's what i am doing right now because i don't want to waste any time correcting my essays..i just want to finish covering everything in general. Otherwise it's up you xD
    So weird that we have the same points! Anyway, if I just talk about dysfunctional families and cognitive, do you think I will meet both breadth and depth?? I really can't be bothered to add psychodynamic now

However, I'm talking about psychodynamic and cognitive in therapies, so does that mean I have to talk about psychodynamic in my explanation or will I be fine with dysfunctional families?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I can relate I think I am going to get 10 marks most on research methods
    I feel you, its on the designing experiments where I screw up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    There is no IDA requirement in unit 4.

You will get marks if you use them as evaluation points though.
    I get it now, I assumed they would just be disregarded if we used them as our teacher told us its not part of the spec anymore

ReputationRep:
    literally join the club!!!!!! ive basically just been finding essays and essay plans on the internet and writing them out so I can read over them and remember them for the exam, and also looking at past papers and mark schemes etc
    for research methods I'm really struggling cause ive always been pretty bad at them and i find its hard to revise them
    could you post or direct me to the essay please !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM)
    Hoping for classification and diagnosis for sz.

Media:
    Pro-social behaviours / video games
    Hovland Yale model
    Social psych explanations of celeb att/ stalking

Btw does anyone have a model essay on celeb stalking?
    How likely is Classif and Diag in Sz?
    I quite like that essay

Need to brush up on my media and research methods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    So weird that we have the same points! Anyway, if I just talk about dysfunctional families and cognitive, do you think I will meet both breadth and depth?? I really can't be bothered to add psychodynamic now

However, I'm talking about psychodynamic and cognitive in therapies, so does that mean I have to talk about psychodynamic in my explanation or will I be fine with dysfunctional families?
    Ya i think you will meet both ends! ya don't start adding in new material, stick to what you're familiar with and you'll learn faster.

I don't think they the explanation and the therapies have to match.. cause i have 3 explanations and 2 therapies; CBT and Family Therapy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numero Uno)
    could you post or direct me to the essay please !!!
    I've been relying on this guy for my essays on schiz, ive read them through and they seem pretty good
    https://marcotheman.wordpress.com/author/marcotheman/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.