The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uglyula
Has anyone got any notes/ a booklet or any sort of resource that can help with research methods? Please!!! I have no clue where to start and how to grasp it

If you just go through a few pages back, one of the users has included a link which is the notes for RM. He included the link in response to my post so should be easy to find.
Original post by кяя
Guys so Saj has predicted:

1. classification & diagnosis issues of depression
2. biological explanations of depression
3. biological therapies of depression

Would you recommend any other topics to write up essays about? I mean those do seem the most likely but I'm scared AQA are gonna ask something else and catch me out D:

With the amount of time left before the exam, I'd honestly say do all of them? The only other ones are psychological explanations and therapies, right? So you have enough time left to get through them.
I'd say it's best not to risk skipping any considering his predictions weren't right for everyone in the last one...
For the 'effectiveness of television advertising' for media, what kinds of questions would come up for that? And like how would you structure the answers? Because I'm looking through my textbook and there's way more points than the ones I was given in class (and they are completely different too so I'm even more confused) so does anyone know how we'd need to use that in the actual exam?
Anyone have or know of any good resources for research methods they don't mind sharing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone give me some feedback on my discuss issues surrounding Diagnosis/classification for phobias essay?

Getting really confused over AO1 and AO2!

I know I need to cut back the word limit but have no idea what :colondollar:
Original post by uglyula
Has anyone got any notes/ a booklet or any sort of resource that can help with research methods? Please!!! I have no clue where to start and how to grasp it

go on the loopa website - he has a free research booklet you can download for free!

if anyone has any other resources though i'd appreciate it as i'm not knowledgable to answer the questions yet lol..
Does anyone know which manuals to refer to in schizophrenia as the 2015 mark scheme refers to DSM IV and DSM V only but my school taught DSM and ICD?
Original post by violetvictorious
Does antipsychotic drugs count as ONE biological explanation of schizophrenia?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We do twin studies, adoption studies and dopamine for our biological but the antipsychotic drugs is included in the dopamine section we learnt (that's my school idk if yours do the same)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the largest question you could get on addiction 10 marks? I really need to knowwwww

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the largest question you could get on addiction 10 marks? I really need to knowwwww

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm pretty sure it is!
covered research methods and should be done with schiz by tomorrow still have no idea how to even start media lmao
Original post by Catriona Lucy
Ok Thank you :smile: I think if you use them they just get marked as part of the essay but they don't get any extra marks and aren't marked separately.

I was just told that they're not necessary in the essay (so you can probably still achieve high grades without them) but credit will be given if you use them. Different to psya3 where it's completely necessary! :smile:
Could someone explain Dopamine Hypothesis for SZ topic briefly for me? I really don't understand it!
Does antipsychotic drugs count as ONE biological explanation of schizophrenia?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, it's not an explanation it's a therapy. It can if you have enough content for an 8+16 marks. I do antipsychotic drugs AND ECT.
Does anyone have any ao2 for cognitive explanation of schizophrenia? Also is the socio-cultural explanation a psychological explanation or just a separate section in itself? I've completely given up with research I have absolutely no idea!
Original post by Onica
Does anyone have any other evaluation points other than research for cognitive explanations for schizophrenia??

If you mean cognitive deficit? I have that it explains verbal hallucinations that are hard to explain through biological explanations as a person has impaired awareness. BUT it doesn't explain negative symptoms such as lack of emotions and so would be better to take a social approach for this.
Is anyone else super struggling with selecting the appropriate statistical test? I swear it should be really easy but I just cant seem to get my head round the difference between a test of association and a test of correlation, I always select the wrong one D:
Original post by Bekah22
Is anyone else super struggling with selecting the appropriate statistical test? I swear it should be really easy but I just cant seem to get my head round the difference between a test of association and a test of correlation, I always select the wrong one D:

If its a test of correlation, 100% of time its Spearmans Rho test. If its test of difference its the other 3
Original post by 14grahamr
Could someone explain Dopamine Hypothesis for SZ topic briefly for me? I really don't understand it!

Excess levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine cause SZ

Antipsychotics act to inhibit dopamine and reduce symptoms

L-Dopa is given to sufferers of Parkinson’s disease (caused by low levels of
dopamine)

L-Dopa increases dopamine levels and can produce the symptoms of SZ

Amphetamines (drugs that increase dopamine) produce symptoms which are similar to those experienced by someone with SZ - i.e hallucinations and delusions
IMG_5452.JPG.jpeg
Original post by Bekah22

Hope that helps!!

Latest

Trending

Trending