Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To get 90 UMS, what is the minimum I need to get in PSYA4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sukhraj7)
    You could use nicotine replacement theory

Outline
    In a nicotine replacement therapy, nicotine is absorbed by means other than smoking, such as for example nicotine patches, gum, or nasal sprays. These help people stop smoking in several ways. Even a low dose of nicotine helps to reduce withdrawal symptoms. Nasal sprays or gum are quick acting and provide positive reinforcement, due to their stress-relief and arousal effects. Smokers can self-administer nicotine when they have the urge to smoke cigarettes. Nicotine patches deliver nicotine gradually and maintain nicotine levels throughout the day, so it provides less positive reinforcement. They may also desensitise nicotine receptors in the brain, so a cigarette while on patches is less satisfying.

Evaluate
    Research support for NRT - meta-analyses on the effectiveness of nicotine patches have provided considerable support for the effectiveness of this therapy, and show that nicotine is the addictive ingredient in cigarettes. Moore et al (2009) found NRT's to be effective in achieving sustained abstinence for smokers who cannot stop immediately.

Likelihood of relapse - Current NRT's deliver nicotine into the bloodstream far more slowly than cigarette smoking does. Most smokers see nicotine replacement as less satisfying as smoking a cigarette, so some smokers will give up the therapy and relapse.

Ethical issues of NRT - Although it removes the harmful effects of tar in cigarettes, there are some concerns about the harmful effects of nicotine. It increases the heart rate and blood pressure, and may be linked to cardiovascular disease, cancer and delayed wound healing. It can have harmful effects on a foetus if taken in pregnancy. However the benefits of stopping smoking using NRT far outweigh the risks of the therapy.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notafail)
    For media apparently for june 2015 there was a 4+6 marker on evolutionary explanations for attraction to celebrity but I can't find it in the past papers? Am I missing out on something or
    there were two papers last year cos one got stolen so aqa made a replacement that wasnt sat by everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by кяя)
    It's so fun drinking my tears
    Research methods is actually a blessing imo!

Just read the stem like 4 times, highlight important aspects such as procedure, variables, design etc

And do a few past papers before the exam. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by th_lauren)
    A high A. Probably about 70 something.

edit: it's 64 raw marks. http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

ReputationRep:
    I just did the 2015 paper (normal one not replacement) and it was such a good paper, it makes me sad that these questions won't come up tomorrow.. Watch it be everything I don't know!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope a "design a study" question comes up. I find them so fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriet54321)
    Anyone doing the topic media,

For the effect of media on anti social behaviour do we need to learn both SLT and desensitisation? or can we just learn one?
    Thanks
    I'd suggest you learn a max of 2 incase the question says "one or more" but learn them is soooooo much detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    Research methods is actually a blessing imo!

Just read the stem like 4 times, highlight important aspects such as procedure, variables, design etc

And do a few past papers before the exam. You'll be fine.
    I hadn't done research methods since AS up until yesterday lol... I was feeling so unconfident about it but now it seems fine. Like with maths, I like how you can apply knowledge to a lot of different situations and once you remember something it sticks for some time. Unlike the other topics were it's very specific information and I have to sh*t it out on the page after spending 5 hours trying to memorize it...and ultimately getting it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It was 57 raw marks last year for an A, I'm sure it'll stay pretty constant.

That averages out to be 19 in each section (21 for an A* )

EDIT: (Read it wrong, it's 63 for An A* (21 in each section))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by кяя)
    Woah there try aim a bit lower will you

Lol jk, I think someone did a calculation that you could utterly fail one section and still get an A if you aced the rest.
    hahah! always lacked confidence in myself - I most deff need to be hitting the goals in my SZ essay and media questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    It was 57 raw marks last year, I'm sure it'll stay pretty constant.

That averages out to be 19 in each section (21 for an A* )
    In love with your brain, thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    In love with your brain, thanks so much!
    Npnp but I edited just a second ago, I read your question wrong, thought you said A. It's 63 raw marks for an A* (21 in each section) - 57 is for an A

Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by кяя)
    Hey, here's a pdf version I found online of the same thing.
    Thanks but im not doing depression i just found it in my book and wanted to help if anyone needed it

ReputationRep:
    What would you do for the design your own study question! please help I have never heard of this one before! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    I know this is a joke but in one of my resits I nearly put my candidate number and centre number in the opposite boxes like I cannot be trusted with numbers at all honestly
    i put the wrong date on mine... (got an A at AS)

ReputationRep:
    i have 3 exams this week and this is the only one i have revised , but i hate research methods - have to get a bloody A!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oiseaux)
    I really hope a "design a study" question comes up. I find them so fun
    Oh no I find them so long.. I don't mind it but I really want a results question to come up. They're so easy and you don't have to be creative :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherrysweetlips)
    i have 3 exams this week and this is the only one i have revised , but i hate research methods - have to get a bloody A!
    Why do people hate research methods? It's all application, easily my favourite bit because you don't have to remember entire essays like every other god damn module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherrysweetlips)
    Same here.
    I'm hoping I can remember it all for the psychology exam.

My other two exams are maths so its not too bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.