Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    I need like 200 ums in this exam to make up for how badly I messed up in psya3

#pray4me
    SAME

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!! im panicking

When you're answering statistical test questions how do you know which level of significance to choose? They usually give you a table and you have to find the critical value but first you need to decide if p<0.5 or p<0.10. The June 2014 paper said you could use either but according to the mark scheme of the 2012 exam it was only right if you had chosen the p<0.5 level and there was no reference to this in the stem? 😰😰😓

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 14grahamr)
    Can someone please tell be what a Type 1 and Type 2 error is in simplistic terms??
    Type 1 - psychologist is too lenient and uses a significance around 10%, so more is left to chance - this means the null is rejected when actually it is true (by rejecting the null you're saying there is a difference but actually there isn't)

Type 2 - psychologist is being too strict in the significance level used i.e. only leaving 1% to chance and the null is accepted when but it should actually be rejected (there is a difference)

I have no idea if this helped at all lol hope it did a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SureyaWP)
    HELP!!! im panicking

When you're answering statistical test questions how do you know which level of significance to choose? They usually give you a table and you have to find the critical value but first you need to decide if p<0.5 or p<0.10. The June 2014 paper said you could use either but according to the mark scheme of the 2012 exam it was only right if you had chosen the p<0.5 level and there was no reference to this in the stem? 😰😰😓
    You should always go with 0.05 unless you're told otherwise

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!! im panicking

0.05 is always the standard as it means it's 95% significant, so always go for that. If there's a 0.01 also talk about that as it means it's 99% significant.
    0.10 is only 90% significant so it means theres a 10% possibility that the results were due to chance, i.e. not very good for scientific studies, so dont talk about that

ReputationRep:
    could we get a big question asking specifically for the effects of computers? Help 😓

Also is anyone else relying on loopa for media psychology?

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!! im panicking

usually you use p<0.05! Only use >p0.01 if it specifies you to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dasaw)
    I need your help, when it comes to biological therapies for phobic disorders , i know drug therapy counts but do the individual drugs itself such as BZ and SSRI counted as two explanations?
    i do ocd so im not sure if its the same, but im meant to know types of chemotherapy and types of psychosurgery so for example I have anti depressants and also explain tricyclics and then I have about capsulotomy's cingulotomys and transcranial magnetic stimulation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieschofield)
    0.05 is always the standard as it means it's 95% significant, so always go for that. If there's a 0.01 also talk about that as it means it's 99% significant.
    0.10 is only 90% significant so it means theres a 10% possibility that the results were due to chance, i.e. not very good for scientific studies, so dont talk about that

Thank you so much!!! Lol cant believe i wrote 0.5 instead of 0.05 xx

ReputationRep:
    could we get a big question asking specifically for the effects of computers? Help 😓

there was a 10 mark in June 11 so its a possibility

ReputationRep:
    You should always have a significance level of 0.05.

ReputationRep:

Yes- upto 10 marks, although it's unlikely this year to appear.

ReputationRep:

Seperate from video games? I don't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allibay)
    T1 - too cocky. They accept a relationship when there isn't one

T2 - too modest. They reject a relationship when there is one.
    I prefer this one:

Start with the good.

Type 1 - False Positive
    Type 2 - False Negative

Number 2s are always bad... lol

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!! Lol cant believe i wrote 0.5 instead of 0.05 xx
    aha it's cool. Good luck for tomorrow! remember it's always 0.05

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else majorly crammed for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjhardy)
    in my notes it says that a type 1 error occurs when the null hypothesis is rejected but should be accepted, and a type 2 error occurs when the null hypothesis is accepted but should have been rejected? is this right or wrong!?
    Think of it as being
    Type 1 - over optimistic, we say the results are significant (null rejected) when we shouldnt due to use of 0.1
    Type 2 - over pessimistic, we say the results arent significant (null accepted) when we should - due to use of 0.01
    Both would be avoided with use of 0.05 significance

ReputationRep:
    By the way guys, make sure you don't make the mistake of saying p = <0.05 (less than 5% significance level) - which many of you have just done

it's: p = ≤0.05 (equal to or less than 5% significance level)

It probably shouldn't matter, but better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    By the way guys, make sure you don't make the mistake of saying p = <0.05 (less than 5% significance level) - which many of you have just done

it's: p = ≤0.05 (equal to or less than 5% significance level)

It probably shouldn't matter, but better safe than sorry.
    ooh god yeah, thank you

ReputationRep:
    12 hours till the exam...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.