The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lularose83
I guess the only comfort is that the grade boundaries seem to be quite low for psych! 😬

and from what people are saying on here, people are not particularly that confident so i am so hoping for low :frown:
Reply 6221
Original post by Marli-Ruth
That's perfectly OK! :smile: how did you find it overall

Hmm it was okay overall I guess. However,
I wouldn't say it was super easy or really hard, just okay. I feel I did really well on schizophrenia and media but may have messed up research methods.

do you think the grade boundaries will be high this year?? I hope it's not too high. I know last year it was quite high but that was because of the replacement papers. The questions were easier than this one because they probably had to just put something on the exam so put simple questions. I just hope the boundaries are not too high.
Original post by cantdoalevels
I did Sz and addiction too! I loved the psychological intervention and biological approach but not media

yesss I hated media!! I doubt ive got more than like 4/5 marks on that :/
Reply 6223
Original post by ThatGirlJemma
and from what people are saying on here, people are not particularly that confident so i am so hoping for low :frown:

Grade boundaries will probably be in the middle, but like you, I hope they're low.

I think lots of people may have not done as well on schizophrenia as we were all hoping for classification and diagnosis and Saj didn't really predict this one to come up. Also, there were lots of mistakes people made in the research methods questions, so hopefully they will be low.
Original post by iNebulous
This is in response to anyone who did SCHIZOPHRENIA and ADDICTION.

Here are the questions (in terms of how I remember them) and the brief points I made / studies I used. (Note not all the stuff I wrote may be right!)

SCHIZOPHRENIA

1.) Outline and evaluate one or more biological therapies of schizophrenia. (8 + 16)

POINT #1 DRUGS

(AO1)

Typical drugs, Atypical drugs
Amphetamines and Antipsychotics

(AO2)

Davis et al. (Relapse rates compared to placebo, 55% vs 19%)
Ross and Read (Misleading figures)
Ross and Read (Not a fair comparison, placebo patients in drug withdrawal state)

POINT #2 ECT

(AO1)

Anaesthetic, Unilateral ECT
Nerve-blocking agent
0.6 amps, 1 min seizure

(AO2)

Tharyan and Adams (Sham / Simulated ECT)
Read (ECT has significant risks, e.g. Brain damage, death + Decline in use in UK)

ADDICTION

1.) Media Influences of Tony, in terms of Initiation, Maintenance and/or Reduction (10 marks)

STEM: Addiction to both smoking and gambling; watched a lot of film and TV; smoked the brands endorsed by his idols; went into debt; stopped smoking since a month but still has gambling addiction.

SLT - Models in the films (Bandura, Waylen et al)
Campaigns
Prevention - Youth gambling (Deverensky and Gupta??)

2.) Outline one biological approach to the initiation of smoking. (4 marks)

Genetics; Vink et al.

3.) Outline and evaluate one psychological intervention for reducing addictive behaviour. (4 + 6)

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - Faulty maladaptive thinking
AO2: Ladoucer et al. - Shows effectiveness of CBT; 66 pathological gamblers; 2 conditions; 86% no longer fulfilled DSM criteria for gambling.

Hope this helps :wink:

Thank you for this! In the media question I only used two studies and everything was a bit muddled. How many marks do you think they would deduct?
Original post by Biologist123
I used single and double blind? not sure if thats internal validity !!

i used concurrent validity and predictive validity for measuring the internal validity!
unofficial mark scheme? please
Thank you for this! In the media question I only used two studies and everything was a bit muddled. How many marks do you think they would deduct?

No problem! I only used 2 studies for Media Influences too. I've been told that the structure for a 10-marker is 3 paragraphs - one AO1, two AO2. Having 2 studies should be enough to get you a high mark in the question.
Original post by iNebulous
No problem! I only used 2 studies for Media Influences too. I've been told that the structure for a 10-marker is 3 paragraphs - one AO1, two AO2. Having 2 studies should be enough to get you a high mark in the question.

Thank you for replying! Oh dear, I wrote about 6 smaller paragraphs. My teachers never went through structure haha :/
Original post by cantdoalevels
I did Sz and addiction too! I loved the psychological intervention and biological approach but not media

i did schizophrenia and addiction and i misunderstood the psychological interventions question as public health interventions, did anyone else make this same mistake??
I pretty much did the same studies as you! :smile:
Reply 6231
How did people apply the pro- social question on media???
Reply 6232
Overall how did people find the paper? It looks as if most found the research section good, but what about the other sections??
Thank you for replying! Oh dear, I wrote about 6 smaller paragraphs. My teachers never went through structure haha :/

It was just a recommendation by my teacher. Others structure it differently. Long as you got the content I don't think it matters too much cause it's not a full essay. So yeah, should be alright :smile:
Original post by Onica
Overall how did people find the paper? It looks as if most found the research section good, but what about the other sections??

Anomalistic section was terrible... What was that?:cry2:

10 marks on methodological issues with that stupid ESP/Margret nonsense.
Original post by andymharrison_
1. Anxiety scores will decrease after partaking in the anxiety management class
2. Design question; introduced myself, method, right to withdraw, confidentiality (think i missed out aims :/)
3. Reliability is how consistent something is
Internal validity refers to whether something measures what it is intended to
4. Methods of assessing internal validity;
- Content (explanation)
- Concurrent (explanation)
- Face (explanation)
5. Found data to be significant (explanation)

My answers were almost identical!
Hi anomalistic people!
Will I get any credit at all for talking about coincidence for the explanation of superstition?
Peak I drew a stacked bar chart for the graph question.
Would I be marked down? :|
Original post by bethygirl
Hi anomalistic people!
Will I get any credit at all for talking about coincidence for the explanation of superstition?

Heyyy I did anomalistic :smile: you may get some credit if you managed to explain it fully and detailed enough and could give enough evaluation
Original post by hsw123
My answers were almost identical!

that's good then!

Latest

Trending

Trending