Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socychoictraphy)
    After finishing AS with a C in Psychology i managed to get an ----- A* ----- at A2 and i literally cannot believe it!

I got 100% (100 UMS) in PSYA3 and
    85 UMS in PSYA4 (which i thought i failed)

Retook PSYA2 and only managed to get 6 more UMS to 70 UMS (b)

Well done to everyone else for their results and i hope you got into your unis x

PS anyone resitting PSYA3 next year can take my model essays that i spent over a year making, they definitely helped 😭
    What topics did you do?

Congratulations on your result, that's incredible!

ReputationRep:
    I got a B overall with 310 ums. Got a soild A last year with 173ums. Got C in unit 3 -64 and a B in unit 4 - 70 ums . Honestly is a remark worth it

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at AS and came out with an A*! Got 100% in psya4! So so so happy!

ReputationRep:
    After finishing AS with a C in Psychology i managed to get an ----- A* ----- at A2 and i literally cannot believe it!

I got 100% (100 UMS) in PSYA3 and
    85 UMS in PSYA4 (which i thought i failed)

Retook PSYA2 and only managed to get 6 more UMS to 70 UMS (b)

Well done to everyone else for their results and i hope you got into your unis x

PS anyone resitting PSYA3 next year can take my model essays that i spent over a year making, they definitely helped 😭
    Firstly congratulations on doing so well!! I know this is so vague but can I ask what you actually did to get an A* in PSYA3? I achieved an A grade despite being predicted an A* and learning all essays word for word and revising so intensely and feeling super confident. I want to know what I could have done differently and why I didn't get the A* I was predicted, am so curious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic.high.girl)
    I achieved A* in unit 4 and a low E in unit 3, almost a fail. confused as thought both exams went well and have been achieving A's up until yesterday . anyone else experienced this?
    I'm in an utter state of confusion right now,
    I got 56 ums (D) in PSYA3
    and 60 ums (C) in PSYA4

I revised so much for these exams and felt that they both went really well as I answered every question and even had a chance to reread them all at the end!

at As I achieved a high A - 177 ums

So overall I achieved a B at A2 but I was disappointed because I needed an A to get into uni. I was even predicted A* at school!

I've sent both papers to be remarked but yeh I feel as if something is really wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    What topics did you do?

Congratulations on your result, that's incredible!
    I did Eating Behaviour, Aggression and Relationships.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily80)
    Firstly congratulations on doing so well!! I know this is so vague but can I ask what you actually did to get an A* in PSYA3? I achieved an A grade despite being predicted an A* and learning all essays word for word and revising so intensely and feeling super confident. I want to know what I could have done differently and why I didn't get the A* I was predicted, am so curious!
    Thank you so much!

To achieve such a high grade in PSYA3 you need to be really prepared, and for me spending time making model answers helped.

I pieced together each essay using two textbooks, internet and the Loopa e-books.

Advice for the essays:

- Write all of the AO1 first followed by the AO2 (this is in most cases, in some essays doing paragraph of AO1 followed by an AO2 paragraph is more practical)
    - BALANCE your AO2 points, use research in support and research against, advantages and disadvantages
    - In AO2 make your point, explain your point, use support (research, statistics etc.) where possible and then !LINK! back to the question in hand, this is key as you can write a whole paragraph of information but get few marks for not relating it back to the question. A simple 'this therefore supports the theory that' is sufficient and i used it a lot lol.
    - CONTEXTUALIZE your IDA's and make sure you don't throw in random and generic IDA's. Stick to two per 24 mark essay and take time making them decent. The IDA's are definitely what got me into the top bands as i spent a lot of time developing meaty paragraphs for each IDA on each essay, i made sure that most of the time i had research to further explain my argument and always linked back.
    - Stick to 30 mins per topic,if you over-run then try and find time to go back at the end.
    - Don't bother remembering years of studies or long lists of names, just remember one SURNAME and then write 'et al'. (For more important studies you might want to write the fullname/list of names)
    - In 'Discuss' essay questions, make sure you write down some real-world applications/implications to demonstrate to the examiner you can apply this situation into reality. E.g. for an essay on biological explanations talk about how it has led to successful biological therapies for the disorder (e.g. drugs for schizophrenia).

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

To achieve such a high grade in PSYA3 you need to be really prepared, and for me spending time making model answers helped.

I pieced together each essay using two textbooks, internet and the Loopa e-books.

Advice for the essays:

- Write all of the AO1 first followed by the AO2 (this is in most cases, in some essays doing paragraph of AO1 followed by an AO2 paragraph is more practical)
    - BALANCE your AO2 points, use research in support and research against, advantages and disadvantages
    - In AO2 make your point, explain your point, use support (research, statistics etc.) where possible and then !LINK! back to the question in hand, this is key as you can write a whole paragraph of information but get few marks for not relating it back to the question. A simple 'this therefore supports the theory that' is sufficient and i used it a lot lol.
    - CONTEXTUALIZE your IDA's and make sure you don't throw in random and generic IDA's. Stick to two per 24 mark essay and take time making them decent. The IDA's are definitely what got me into the top bands as i spent a lot of time developing meaty paragraphs for each IDA on each essay, i made sure that most of the time i had research to further explain my argument and always linked back.
    - Stick to 30 mins per topic,if you over-run then try and find time to go back at the end.
    - Don't bother remembering years of studies or long lists of names, just remember one SURNAME and then write 'et al'. (For more important studies you might want to write the fullname/list of names)
    - In 'Discuss' essay questions, make sure you write down some real-world applications/implications to demonstrate to the examiner you can apply this situation into reality. E.g. for an essay on biological explanations talk about how it has led to successful biological therapies for the disorder (e.g. drugs for schizophrenia).

Hope this helps
    Oh fab! Thank you for all of that! I pretty much did all of that stuff in my exam so am still quite shocked as to how I managed to lose some marks. It must have not been up to the standard that was required and I was probably lacking detail.

Well done again!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* for unit 3 and a B for unit 4, and got an A overall for psychology. 😁😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diana1997)
    I got an A* for unit 3 and a B for unit 4, and got an A overall for psychology. 😁😁
    Well done! May I ask what you did to get your A*? I was predicted this but got an A in PSYA3 despite doing the maximum work I could have done. I just want to get as much info as possible so I can try and work out where I may have gone wrong here!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done! May I ask what you did to get your A*? I was predicted this but got an A in PSYA3 despite doing the maximum work I could have done. I just want to get as much info as possible so I can try and work out where I may have gone wrong here!!
    Without your script you won't be able to determine where you went wrong, at the end of the day it will simply be your essays were not as good as you thought compared to the cohort, as they do compare essays when marking them. You still did really well, and psychology essays are subjective, don't be disheartened!

ReputationRep:
    The first thing I did was to get a hold of the Complete Companion textbook by Mark Cardwell and Cara Flanagan with the dog at the front cover, as it was by far the best textbook for a level psychology! I made my own notes on every single page on the topics I was covering, then highlighted key phrases and spent the whole year trying to memorise all of the information, including the researcher's names, dates (although this was not important to get the top grades) and the strengths and weaknesses of each study. As there was a ton of information to memorise I struggled, so I went on to make podcasts recording myself reading my notes out loud. I listened to a few podcasts each night before I went sleep and tried my hardest to memorise all of the information for each essay. I practiced essays a lot during my revision to reinforce my understanding of the topics being covered. Then when exam time came I wrote out essays after essays until I was sick of it, using all of the information I have memorised in a lot of detail and I would time myself 30 minutes for each essay. I also researched IDA's for each essay and wrote them out on a separe piece of paper, then tried to incorporate them into my practice essays. The key to achieving the top grade was to memorise A LOT and to regurgitate your notes but into an essay format. Also, I always tried to include at least 4 evaluation points and two IDA's for each essay, explaining them and linking them back to the topic. I always started my essay with the AO1 objective, and then my AO2 and AO3's after that. Hope this helps. ☺

ReputationRep:
    I used Loopa essays, memorised every single word both in AS and A2 and got 88% overall with As in all my units so I would strongly suggest that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saran12)
    I got a B overall with 310 ums. Got a soild A last year with 173ums. Got C in unit 3 -64 and a B in unit 4 - 70 ums . Honestly is a remark worth it
    Im in a similar situation to you. I have 309 ums. PSYA3 - 90 ums. PSYA4 -63 ums - C. Im planning on remarking PSYA4 bc i dont understand how i got a C. Let me know if you get a remark to and if anything changes hun.
    Im really hoping for an A. Good luck to you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverAStudent1)
    Im in a similar situation to you. I have 309 ums. PSYA3 - 90 ums. PSYA4 -63 ums - C. Im planning on remarking PSYA4 bc i dont understand how i got a C. Let me know if you get a remark to and if anything changes hun.
    Im really hoping for an A. Good luck to you x

I hate to break it to you I could be wrong .. But just consider the remarks because apparently they've changed their remarking system so that subjective marking doesn't allow someone's grade to go up.. Even if the head examiner feels you did " score higher ".. And also it's only if there's a clear error in marking e.g not seeing a q

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing quite well all year for unit 3 and got a C for the real thing... is anyone finding the marking quite dodgy cuz like it's crazy to suddenly get 35/72 when I've been getting relatively good marks all year even in mocks? Is it work remarking because it cost my uni place fml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaseho98)
    I've been doing quite well all year for unit 3 and got a C for the real thing... is anyone finding the marking quite dodgy cuz like it's crazy to suddenly get 35/72 when I've been getting relatively good marks all year even in mocks? Is it work remarking because it cost my uni place fml
    Yeah same. I got 93 in psya4 but 58 in psya3. Not even sure what I did differently for each exam but I guess it is what it is. Good luck if you do decide to remark!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly the same as me, I'm so confused, I'm probably gonna get my unit 4 script back to see what the hell happened

ReputationRep:
    I got A in unit 4, and E in unit 3. were anyone elses results this weird?

ReputationRep:
    to get an a* do you need to achieve a total of 360 ums or does the ums of unit 3 and 4 have to average 90?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.