Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a better term or phrase to evaluate a sample that is bias, for example if the sample was only on heterosexual couples you cant generalize to homosexual couples, is there a better phrase to use?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing.

PSYA3 - Gender, Eating Behaviour, Aggression
    PSYA4 - Schizophrenia, Addiction, Research Methods

Anyone got any predictions for any of the above??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heretohelp!)
    Also any predictions for media, cognition and development , eating behaviour , gender and ocd? ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Biological explanations of social cognition hasn't come up since 2011 so I think that one is probably quite likely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harljade)
    I'm doing.

PSYA3 - Gender, Eating Behaviour, Aggression
    PSYA4 - Schizophrenia, Addiction, Research Methods

Anyone got any predictions for any of the above??
    My Psych teacher gave us these predictions:
    Schizophrenia:
    * Reliability/Validity
    * Psychological Explanations
    * Psychological Treatments

Aggression:
    * Infidelity and Jealousy (Evolutionary Explanations)
    * Genetics
    * Group displays
    * Neural and Hormonal

Eating:
    * Factors affecting eating
    * Neural Mechanisms
    * Biological Explanations

* Biological Factors
    * (possibly) Biosocial

I'll repeat what my psych teacher said: these are only predictions obviously and it would be a good idea to revise everything.
    Hope you do well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    I'm sticking to what I've personally been told, which is not to waste time on evaluation of individual studies as it doesn't gain credit easily as its not directly linked to evaluating the theory
    Yeah i understand that, just making sure people realise you can go down either route. i evaluate studies and include IDA's and have been consistently getting A/A*'s so I'm going to stick with that but you stick with yours if it works for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xabsx)
    AS Grade: A
    A2 Predicted Grade: A

Unit 3: Aggression (done), Relationships (current) and Gender
    Unit 4: Depression (done) and Media (done and I hate it)
    i know im a bit late to this thread but i hated media too! where was the psychology in it 🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    Does anyone know a better term or phrase to evaluate a sample that is bias, for example if the sample was only on heterosexual couples you cant generalize to homosexual couples, is there a better phrase to use?
    I think that is heterosexual bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pentagonath)
    Am I the only person who is planning on just using cultural bias as every single IDA more or less?
    Please don't do this! The 2015 examiner's report said many students did this, and none scored top band marks. I know it's easy to go to culture bias if you've nothing else to say, but IDA should always be tailored to the essay you're writing. I know PSYA3 is a monumental amount to memorise, but we have to try our very best!

If you need some help, i've posted some slides on aggression, cognition & development and perception and i will be posting slides on schizophrenia and media psychology soon!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx Aggression.pptx (101.9 KB, 83 views)
  2. File Type: pptx Cognition.pptx (110.3 KB, 70 views)
  3. File Type: pptx Perception.pptx (219.1 KB, 73 views)

ReputationRep:
    I have a revision booklet I have made for Aggression, Sleep, Relationships and Depression (didn't include media + research methods as they're not 24 mark essays) if anyone would like me to post it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schaffles)
    I have a revision booklet I have made for Aggression, Sleep, Relationships and Depression (didn't include media + research methods as they're not 24 mark essays) if anyone would like me to post it?
    Yes please that would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    AS grade: B
    Predicted grade: B

PSYA3: Relationships, aggression and gender
    PSYA4: Media and phobic disorders

Not ready for either unit at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuipdoe)
    Yes please that would be greatly appreciated!
    Here ya go. I've structured them how we were taught at our college, they are all under 1000 words (besides the ones with extra info for if it asks for two explanations/therapies etc - which are either in italics or added at the end)

Glad i could help
    Attached Files
  4. File Type: docx Revision Booklet A2 Essays.docx (194.7 KB, 131 views)

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here doing psychology and sociology? If you are please can you tell me how you are planning your revision for both topics? I'm really struggling as there is so much to learn for both subjects, so any tips would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterpotatoes)
    Please don't do this! The 2015 examiner's report said many students did this, and none scored top band marks. I know it's easy to go to culture bias if you've nothing else to say, but IDA should always be tailored to the essay you're writing. I know PSYA3 is a monumental amount to memorise, but we have to try our very best!

If you need some help, i've posted some slides on aggression, cognition & development and perception and i will be posting slides on schizophrenia and media psychology soon!
    Are you saying dont use cultural bias? For example in the Social exchange essay im doing, im going to talk about cultural bias because it directly relates to the theory. E.g. Mogmaddon, found research suggesting in europe people prefer equality, wheras in US people prefer equity. This shows the bias even within the western cultures.

That would be a bit of my point but is this not accepted?

ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate it if someone could look over this Sexual Selection essay I've just done. Would be nice if someone could give suggestions of things to add in etc.
    Attached Files
  5. File Type: docx SexualSelection.docx (6.5 KB, 57 views)

ReputationRep:
    So I'm pretty comfortable for PSYA3... But is anyone else really unprepared for PSYA4? Or is it just me? I literally haven't learnt any of it yet lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potato cell)
    So I'm pretty comfortable for PSYA3... But is anyone else really unprepared for PSYA4? Or is it just me? I literally haven't learnt any of it yet lol.
    I haven't learnt either unit yet, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    Are you saying dont use cultural bias? For example in the Social exchange essay im doing, im going to talk about cultural bias because it directly relates to the theory. E.g. Mogmaddon, found research suggesting in europe people prefer equality, wheras in US people prefer equity. This shows the bias even within the western cultures.

That would be a bit of my point but is this not accepted?
    No that'd be fine! What the examiner report said was that individuals used it for all the essays, showing that they didn't really understand IDA and just rote learned. So ensure you have a range of points across your essays

ReputationRep:
    So unprepared for unit 3 and its less than 2 weeks away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marli-Ruth)
    So unprepared for unit 3 and its less than 2 weeks away
    How is revision going? Try not to panic, I'm only starting today!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.