Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry1997)
    thanks but do u know how many marks its out off.
    I'm really struggling to write this essay myself and how to evaluate it.
    8 + 16 marks.

Evaluate it by using research studies that support/go against theory, criticise methodologies of certain research studies and use IDA

ReputationRep:
    can someone give an example as to when socially sensitive research would be used? and what exactly is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oiseaux)
    It's not very difficult so you could do it in a day IMO. Just do lots of past questions to get used to answering in the context of the scenarios.
    Thanks, put me a bit at ease. I srsly wish my college was better at organizing their damn schedules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucytal)
    can someone give an example as to when socially sensitive research would be used? and what exactly is it?
    An example in an aggression topic is a study which asked males and females about their partners mate retention tactics and violence they received. This would be socially sensitive because you are asking people about their personal lives, and it is to do with domestic abuse which is usually something that only happens behind closed doors. It's sort of like an intrusive type of research.

Or you could argue any biological approach that looks into particular genes to cause aggression for example is socially sensitive because this would mean people could be offered genetic engineering and chemical castration if they notice that particular gene associated with an undesirable trait before that baby has even developed as a human being, reaping their free will from them.

Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, two questions:
    1) How would you structure a 4 + 16 mark question? Do you write 2 AO1 points in less detail and evaluate both or do you have to write one in full detail and use all the evaluation for that
    2) Is lynch mobbing as a type of group of aggression definitely rejected by AQA and given 0 marks? I don't know if I'd be able to learn an entire new topic in 3 days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinksy)
    An example in an aggression topic is a study which asked males and females about their partners mate retention tactics and violence they received. This would be socially sensitive because you are asking people about their personal lives, and it is to do with domestic abuse which is usually something that only happens behind closed doors. It's sort of like an intrusive type of research.

Or you could argue any biological approach that looks into particular genes to cause aggression for example is socially sensitive because this would mean people could be offered genetic engineering and chemical castration if they notice that particular gene associated with an undesirable trait before that baby has even developed as a human being, reaping their free will from them.

Does that make sense?
    that's really helpful thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemountain)
    Hi, two questions:
    1) How would you structure a 4 + 16 mark question? Do you write 2 AO1 points in less detail and evaluate both or do you have to write one in full detail and use all the evaluation for that
    2) Is lynch mobbing as a type of group of aggression definitely rejected by AQA and given 0 marks? I don't know if I'd be able to learn an entire new topic in 3 days...
    I really hope they haven't taken that out of the spec! I only know lynch mobs!

ReputationRep:
    can someone read my A01 for group displays of aggression? i want to make sure it's a solid 7/8 if not 8/8 but i feel that it is long and doesn't make sense.. can anyone help me improve it please?

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I think they have, it is best to use sport and warfare as they are stated in the spec !

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I believe they have, sport and warfare tend to be named in the question now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Unfortunately I believe they have, sport and warfare tend to be named in the question now
    Omgosh I have no notes on sport and warfare I know nothing ahhhhhh!

ReputationRep:
    Did you really not get taught it!? Wow, um there should be exemplar essays online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemountain)
    Hi, two questions:
    I emailed an examiner for the AQA A Psychology syllabus my model essay on group aggression that is solely on LYNCH MOBS.

She said it was perfectly acceptable. An examiner is required to accept any possible essay answer, even if it does deviate from the textbook, they will just have to do further reading to ensure it is an acceptable answer.

As for the question specifically stating 'sports' and 'warfare' i'm not too sure... so i will email her now and ask.

EDIT: The specification says 'For example, sports and warfare' so i don't think they would ever ask for it specifically.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socychoictraphy)
    I emailed an examiner for the AQA A Psychology syllabus my model essay on group aggression that is solely on LYNCH MOBS.

She said it was perfectly acceptable. An examiner is required to accept any possible essay answer, even if it does deviate from the textbook, they will just have to do further reading to ensure it is an acceptable answer.

As for the question specifically stating 'sports' and 'warfare' i'm not too sure... so i will email her now and ask.

EDIT: The specification says 'For example, sports and warfare' so i don't think they would ever ask for it specifically.
    Thank you so much for checking! I never even knew it could be asked specifically on sport and warfare ( I really appreciate this

ReputationRep:
    Did you really not get taught it!? Wow, um there should be exemplar essays online?
    No not at all, the only types of group display I have been taught is Lynch mobs and religious rituals oh gosh

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for checking! I never even knew it could be asked specifically on sport and warfare ( I really appreciate this
    I've sent the e-mail.

But please do not worry! I'm almost 100% sure it would never ask for that specifically.

Questions on sexual selection can ask for infidelity and jealousy specifically because the specification states: Evolutionary explanations of human aggression, including infidelity and jealousy'.

For group aggression it uses the wording 'for example'. It's the same with social psychological theories. (For example, social learning theory and deindividuation theory - both of which the exam would never ask for specifically). :-)

ReputationRep:

I had thought previously it has said including rather than for example in the question

ReputationRep:
    I've sent the e-mail.

But please do not worry! I'm almost 100% sure it would never ask for that specifically.

Questions on sexual selection can ask for infidelity and jealousy specifically because the specification states: Evolutionary explanations of human aggression, including infidelity and jealousy'.

For group aggression it uses the wording 'for example'. It's the same with social psychological theories. (For example, social learning theory and deindividuation theory - both of which the exam would never ask for specifically). :-)
    Oh bless you thank you so so much! You have just saved me from having a mini break down haha And I assume that you have learnt Lynch mobs too? Again thank you ever so much!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh bless you thank you so so much! You have just saved me from having a mini break down haha And I assume that you have learnt Lynch mobs too? Again thank you ever so much!!
    You're welcome!

And yeah, both of my explanations are for lynch mobs but i'm thinking of taking away one and adding a different explanation just to make that distinction clear. Is religious rituals a good one? Could i see your notes on that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.