Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering whether to come to KCL to study Philosophy, Religion and Ethics. I was just wondering if current students would really recommend KCL or going elsewhere. I'm also thinking about Durham. I have a few questions about being a student in London. Thanks for any replies
    As a student do you get the most out of living in London ie. do you go to exhibitions etc?
    Is it really expensive?
    Is it easy to play sports and be part of a team?
    Is having to catch the tube everywhere annoying?
    Is the house you live in in second and third year nice or would you say uni's in other cities get a better quality?
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking for myself:

As a student do you get the most out of living in London ie. do you go to exhibitions etc?
    I studied Classics so I went to museums of one sort or another nearly every week. I didn't go to many events or exhibitions because I don't find them interesting or good value for money, in London or anywhere else.

Is it really expensive?
    Some things in London are drasticallly more expensive than in other parts of the UK, such as alcohol, decent restaurant food and rent. Other things are the same as anywhere else. It's not difficult to live on a budget, after all if you don't go to restaurants and aren't a heavy drinker then that just leaves rent, and maybe travel costs. That being said I lived 20 minutes walk from the city centre so I didn't really have transport costs except the odd bus (which are a lot cheaper than buses in some parts of the UK and usually the best way of getting around. I rarely went on the tube). My rent was quite high, but finding a cheaper place out in the suburbs would not have been much less expensive including the extra travel costs, and it's much nicer to walk into uni than stand on a packed train every morning.

Is it easy to play sports and be part of a team?
    Yes, with the caveat that if you play certain sports which require a large pitch (football, rugby, hockey) then you will need to go quite far out on the tube every weekend.

Is having to catch the tube everywhere annoying?
    As I say I rarely went on the tube, only for fieldtrips out to North or West London.

Is the house you live in in second and third year nice or would you say uni's in other cities get a better quality?
    London is ridiculously expensive when it comes to housing, and there's no getting past that. Unless you(r parents) can pay upwards of £700 a month for a decent houseshare, then you will be living in a small flat in a 'vibrant' area. My friends up in Scotland were living in 4 bedroom houses for literally half the rent I paid for my 2 bedroom apartment. Still it was worth it, because my friends in Scotland couldn't go to the British museum and see a real ancient Greek temple after a lecture on ancient Greek temples, and they didn't walk home across Waterloo bridge and see this view every day:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.