Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya. so basically I'm in year 11 and my GCSEs start in May
    I have chosen my A levels but now am worried that there not a god choice for 6th form
    the A Levels I have chosen are;
    Biology
    Sociology
    Health And Social Care
    Media Studies- However I may drop this subject in A2

so tell me what you think of these subjects. Also I'm afraid that I may not be able to catch up or I might be the dumbest in my class. also whenever I tell someone my choice n Biology they always tell me its to hard for me and I should stick with creative based subjects. This has discouraged me and know am worrying about it

Also please could you give me some support and advice as well as answer my question abut my A Levels.

Thanks in advanced xxx

ReputationRep:
    What grades are you getting in GCSE biology?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an idea of what you want to do in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siidrraah)
    I have chosen my A levels but now am worried that there not a god choice for 6th form
    Biology
    Sociology
    Health And Social Care

so tell me what you think of these subjects. Also I'm afraid that I may not be able to catch up or I might be the dumbest in my class. also whenever I tell someone my choice n Biology they always tell me its to hard for me and I should stick with creative based subjects. This has discouraged me and know am worrying about it

Also please could you give me some support and advice as well as answer my question abut my A Levels.

Thanks in advanced xxx
    What do you want to study at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    What grades are you getting in GCSE biology?
    In my tests I am getting A's

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I don't see any reason in particular why you would think your choices are 'bad'. Also other people telling you to chose other subjects because one is too hard is a load of BS. A-levels aren't about how intelligent you are, they are about how hard you work, as I discovered when after coasting my GCSE's I decided to do the same for my A-levels.. I got 3 D's and a U. Now I am in year 13 after repeating year 12 and I am on course for 4 A grades at A2, and an A* or two is certainly not out of the question.

Ultimately it is down to you to chose which A-level subjects you want to take and the only thing you should let influence that decision is what you want to do after school. For example if you know there is a certain uni course you would like to do you could go on to the UCAS website and see what different subjects/grades uni's require for you to get selected onto their course.

At the end of the day though, if you work hard and put the hours in there is no reason why you couldn't get top grades in all of those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from Biology they're a bit soft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Do you have an idea of what you want to do in the future?
    I want to get into Primary School Teaching

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyboy2015)
    Hi there.

I don't see any reason in particular why you would think your choices are 'bad'. Also other people telling you to chose other subjects because one is too hard is a load of BS. A-levels aren't about how intelligent you are, they are about how hard you work, as I discovered when after coasting my GCSE's I decided to do the same for my A-levels.. I got 3 D's and a U. Now I am in year 13 after repeating year 12 and I am on course for 4 A grades at A2, and an A* or two is certainly not out of the question.

Ultimately it is down to you to chose which A-level subjects you want to take and the only thing you should let influence that decision is what you want to do after school. For example if you know there is a certain uni course you would like to do you could go on to the UCAS website and see what different subjects/grades uni's require for you to get selected onto their course.

At the end of the day though, if you work hard and put the hours in there is no reason why you couldn't get top grades in all of those subjects.
    Thanks for your reply it was really helpful!! I have also told my teachers I am willing to put all effort in to receive A/A* but they stil wont quit telling me its too hard for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    To be honest, as long as uni's/employers/whatever accept people doing those subjects for the course the person wants to do. It really doesn't matter how the subjects are seen.

That being said I do not know whether various uni's/employers/whatever would accept them doing these subjects, that is something for the OP to go away and research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Ehh what can I say ahah I'm a giant softie! reflects my personality :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    What do you want to study at university?
    To be absolutely honest I'm really not sure because I have tendency to change my mind a lot.. I felt that maybe when I start my A Levels it could help me have a better idea of what I want to do...

At the present I would like to become a Primary school teacher if that helps

ReputationRep:
    For biology you need to know how to spell(eg. they're, good, photophosphorylation, acetylcholinesterase) and use punctuation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyboy2015)
    Hi there.

Also what Levels have you chosen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    For biology you need to know how to spell(eg. they're, good, photophosphorylation, acetylcholinesterase) and use punctuation.
    Hahaha that seems kinda cool to spell! Usually when I'm given a word I cant sell I make a song out of it :3

ReputationRep:
    To be absolutely honest I'm really not sure because I have tendency to change my mind a lot.. I felt that maybe when I start my A Levels it could help me have a better idea of what I want to do...

At the present I would like to become a Primary school teacher if that helps
    If you really want to study Biology, then go for it! Don't let other people discourage you, because they don't know how capable you really are. I wanted to study A level Psychology, but my family kept telling me that I will struggle learning a completely new subject that I have never studied before. However, I ignored them and went with my gut instinct and chose A level Psychology. With a bit of hard work I managed to achieve an A at AS Level and I am on track for an A/A* at A2. Do subjects that you want to study. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Biology
    Sociology
    Health And Social Care

Thanks in advanced xxx
    I see nothing wrong at all with your choices. I think the first 3 are definitely valuable subjects, and it's always great to have a 'fun' one.

Everybody seems to have a belief that you need 4 hard-core academic subjects to get very far in life, but the only subjects that unis tend to not accept are General Studies and similar options. I know plenty of people who went down similar A Level routes as you and were accepted into top 20 universities

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to study Biology, then go for it! Don't let other people discourage you, because they don't know how capable you really are. I wanted to study A level Psychology, but my family kept telling me that I will struggle learning a completely new subject that I have never studied before. However, I ignored them and went with my gut instinct and chose A level Psychology. With a bit of hard work I managed to achieve an A at AS Level and I am on track for an A/A* at A2. Do subjects that you want to study. Good luck!
    However, most universities (and all of the good ones) are not going to look kindly on the OP's choices for a biology degree. In fact for some universities those choices are probably an automatic rejection.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for this reply!! It really encouraged me to say with my gut instinct which is Biology! And woaah congrats for the A in Psychology!! xX

ReputationRep:
    x
    Biology is fine as long as you can memorise facts!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.