Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what to do to with my future help please.
    Studying GCSE triple science, english, maths, history, art, french.
    Probably going to go down the medicine route in college and A level in English Lit
    But I love things around public speaking and creative subjects more (art, fashion and textiles, dance etc), like I'm more interested in Stacey Dooley documentaries and Youth Parliament than being a doctor and really want to be an author but it's down to luck if your book gets a big break or not so what do I do wit life? (sorry it's a bit long, thanks x)

ReputationRep:
    There are such a variety of courses offered at university you don't necessarily need to do the one related to the exact career you want. If I were you I'd try different work experiences. They're designed to help 14-19 year olds decide what career path they want to take and if the career they're thinking of is really what they think it is. I was lucky, I had no idea what I wanted to do and when my work experience came (my school was weird we did work experience in yr 11 not yr 10) I just went to my local primary school. Turns out I loved working with children and I've never stopped since (seriously I got a job at an after school club two months later, I worked there a year and then I started volunteering as a beaver leader and this Wednesday I have an interview at a children's hospital). I'm still not sure what I want to do, I just know it's with children. Hence I'm doing a childhood and family studies degree. Related to the field I want to work in, but doesn't just limit me to one option (like the primary ed degree involves children but you can only become a teacher).

As for the author thing, I'm in the same boat. As you're only 14/15 don't worry too much about it for now, no literary agent/publisher would take you seriously as soon as they found out your age. Right now I'm writing my first book (though I've wanted to be an author since forever) and I'm 20,000 words into it (that's about 150 pages). My goal is to finish it by summer, send it off to literary agents, and see if I hear anything back. Writing shouldn't be about making it big. If you enjoy it, just write and be so proud if you manage to get a book published. I know I would be! Even if it's pulled off the shelf because it doesn't sell enough, I still published a book. Being an author can be a part time thing, and if you make it big that's a bonus too.

Also I've found my uni course has actually helped with the book I'm writing (which is strange cause the book I'm writing is about war, nothing to do with children/families)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.