Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

This is my first post I believe, so please forgive me.

A little while ago I applied for a BA course in Games Design in Brunel University. I have just spoken to one of the people from the admissions desk, and I am a little knocked back by the conversation we just had.

I am currently studying at the Plymouth College of Art on a similar course (BA Hons in Game Arts). I am coming up to the end of my level zero foundation year, and were looking to try out one of the universities in London that offered a similar course, but with better employment connections.

The level zero course doesn't offer any qualifications in it's own right, so I didn't include that on the qualifications section within the main application as I felt it didn't apply. Being the literal thinker I am due to my autism, I took the question in black and white, however I proceeded to explain my current studying situation at PCA within my personal statement.

Unfortunately I didn't complete any GCSEs at school - this would have been fifteen years ago, making me a mature student. I never actually attended my GCSEs due to the fact I was too scared to even go in to school, as I was heavily bullied (even to the point of hospitalisation on a few accounts). Therefore I received U grades in everything.

At the time I was also caring for my mentally ill mother, and since moving away I almost had a scrape with homelessness due to social breakdown. I have worked in various jobs since then, but started the course at PCA in September last year.

I spoke to the lady at the admissions desk, who told me I would be refused a place due to the fact I only had predicted GCSE grades. I told her of the situation surrounding the bullying, to which she replied "Well, that's not my problem. You had 15 years to re-do your exams and now you can see why". She also gave me a telling off because the UCAS form wasn't filled out right due to the missing level zero year - saying "other students haven't had a problem understanding the questions, so why should you?".

I feel so disheartened by the whole thing I even provided a link to my portfolio in the personal statement, but they just aren't interested. The portfolio I provided was the same one that got me into PCA - the tutors at PCA even told me on my original interview last year that my work would be good enough to join the degree course outright, it just so happened that I were persuaded to do the foundation year too.

I have no idea what to do, I feel so rotten by the whole thing

-Jack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dowsonjack)
    Hi there.

This is my first post I believe, so please forgive me.

A little while ago I applied for a BA course in Games Design in Brunel University. I have just spoken to one of the people from the admissions desk, and I am a little knocked back by the conversation we just had.

I am currently studying at the Plymouth College of Art on a similar course (BA Hons in Game Arts). I am coming up to the end of my level zero foundation year, and were looking to try out one of the universities in London that offered a similar course, but with better employment connections.

The level zero course doesn't offer any qualifications in it's own right, so I didn't include that on the qualifications section within the main application as I felt it didn't apply. Being the literal thinker I am due to my autism, I took the question in black and white, however I proceeded to explain my current studying situation at PCA within my personal statement.

Unfortunately I didn't complete any GCSEs at school - this would have been fifteen years ago, making me a mature student. I never actually attended my GCSEs due to the fact I was too scared to even go in to school, as I was heavily bullied (even to the point of hospitalisation on a few accounts). Therefore I received U grades in everything.

At the time I was also caring for my mentally ill mother, and since moving away I almost had a scrape with homelessness due to social breakdown. I have worked in various jobs since then, but started the course at PCA in September last year.

I spoke to the lady at the admissions desk, who told me I would be refused a place due to the fact I only had predicted GCSE grades. I told her of the situation surrounding the bullying, to which she replied "Well, that's not my problem. You had 15 years to re-do your exams and now you can see why". She also gave me a telling off because the UCAS form wasn't filled out right due to the missing level zero year - saying "other students haven't had a problem understanding the questions, so why should you?".

I feel so disheartened by the whole thing I even provided a link to my portfolio in the personal statement, but they just aren't interested. The portfolio I provided was the same one that got me into PCA - the tutors at PCA even told me on my original interview last year that my work would be good enough to join the degree course outright, it just so happened that I were persuaded to do the foundation year too.

I have no idea what to do, I feel so rotten by the whole thing

-Jack
    Do you really want to attend a university that treats its prospective applicants so rudely?

If they can't even put in the effort to look professional to the students applying (which is probably the most important time to make a good impression), what makes you think they'll treat you better when/if you start the course?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Do you really want to attend a university that treats its prospective applicants so rudely?

If they can't even put in the effort to look professional to the students applying (which is probably the most important time to make a good impression), what makes you think they'll treat you better when/if you start the course?
    ^this

Sounds like OP is doing well at Plymouth and should stay and complete the course there. Do they offer a sandwich year? Work experience is more important than the university/college you went to.

Maybe check out events such as this
    https://www.egx.net/egx
    https://www.siliconmilkroundabout.com/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for your responses

I am not sure as to whether that is something which they offer - certainly something to look in to. It is a shame that with some universities there is too much "privilege" by joining, and forget they are actually running a business.

I have also been looking into DMU as they have a nice Game Arts course there, and great employment links too. I think my foundation year would also be good enough to be eligible.

I'll have a think about it and see

- Jack

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.