The Student Room Group

Can I sing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LemonadeAspire
I tried here: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1XkMju4zdhA

Hahahah I doubt it!! You probably sound amazing as well!!! Just keep pushing yourself and you'll do amazing :wink:

Omg. You sound like one of those smooth R&B singers. I'm jealous haha

I just have the problem of being too shy to practice in case neighbours hear or something xD How do you practice? Any good exercises or songs to practice to? I would love to eventually get voice lessons so I'm abit apprehensive of practicing by myself in case I end up damaging my voice xD

Do you really want an analysis of my vocals to show you why I'm not amazing xD
Original post by Manexopi
Omg. You sound like one of those smooth R&B singers. I'm jealous haha

I just have the problem of being too shy to practice in case neighbours hear or something xD How do you practice? Any good exercises or songs to practice to? I would love to eventually get voice lessons so I'm abit apprehensive of practicing by myself in case I end up damaging my voice xD

Do you really want an analysis of my vocals to show you why I'm not amazing xD

You can pm your singing voice and I can try analysing any bits that need working on? I just sing when I'm bored or in the shower! I started at the age of 6 and onwards but I'm shy too that why I don't sing much publicly! I just made this thread to see if I actually can because my sister always tries saying "You can't sing, shut up!" along with my brother but oh well :tongue:
You can pm your singing voice and I can try analysing any bits that need working on? I just sing when I'm bored or in the shower! I started at the age of 6 and onwards but I'm shy too that why I don't sing much publicly! I just made this thread to see if I actually can because my sister always tries saying "You can't sing, shut up!" along with my brother but oh well :tongue:

That's just siblings being annoying - my sisters both tell me to shut because I can't sing, though in my case, that's most likely true.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
That's just siblings being annoying - my sisters both tell me to shut because I can't sing, though in my case, that's most likely true.

They get pretty pissed off when I do sing, I honestly don't know!
They get pretty pissed off when I do sing, I honestly don't know!

You definitely can sing, so no need to worry about that.
Reply 25

I really wouldn't want to subject you to that kind of pain xD I have some knowledge on vocals so I know what my problems are, I just have trouble fixing them because they're habits now. I mostly have wrong placement of my voice in different parts of my range and improper larynx positioning in the extremities but I rarely sing out of my supported range these days because I make myself cringe with how bad I sound xD Singing in the shower eh? The echoing always puts me off, I feel like every sound is being amplified xD I should try it out though.

My siblings and I always say that to eachother! I just use my singing as a way to annoy them and get them to leave me alone xD
I really wouldn't want to subject you to that kind of pain xD I have some knowledge on vocals so I know what my problems are, I just have trouble fixing them because they're habits now. I mostly have wrong placement of my voice in different parts of my range and improper larynx positioning in the extremities but I rarely sing out of my supported range these days because I make myself cringe with how bad I sound xD Singing in the shower eh? The echoing always puts me off, I feel like every sound is being amplified xD I should try it out though.

My siblings and I always say that to eachother! I just use my singing as a way to annoy them and get them to leave me alone xD

Ahahha thats so cute!! I doubt you have a terrible voice but trying certain singing exercises that excretes your voice into the right note you're aiming for as there are many videos on YouTube that will help you! Warming up your voice! Ive also heard that people who eat raw egg does something good to their voice (Not sure about this as I don't eat raw egg but I've heard?) I hope you fix it in the meantime and you're happy with your results! x
Can I really sing? I'm not even looking for attention but I honestly feel like I can't sing and that there are way better singers out there which I aim to be like but I don't feel I have the voice?

Link: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0e0eCsE9yf3

Thank you :smile:

Sounds like someone has the X Factor...:curious:
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Sounds like someone has the X Factor...:curious:

Haha oh please :colondollar:, I wouldn't take part in the X Factor audition because there are better singers! Thank you though :smile:
Reply 29
Ahahha thats so cute!! I doubt you have a terrible voice but trying certain singing exercises that excretes your voice into the right note you're aiming for as there are many videos on YouTube that will help you! Warming up your voice! Ive also heard that people who eat raw egg does something good to their voice (Not sure about this as I don't eat raw egg but I've heard?) I hope you fix it in the meantime and you're happy with your results! x

Excretes your voice!? Lolol did you mean exercise or something? Oh yeah I've heard warming up is really helpful. I mostly just sing and everytime I start a new line I pinch my nose to test for any nasal singing and if it isn't, I try and remember that feeling. Also funnily enough, I found opening my mouth abit more helped me stop being super nasal but then you have to be careful of opening your mouth too wide and creating unnecessary tension. This thread made me do a little practice and I just managed to do a few notes in head voice with the sound being placed in my head so yay for that! Honestly, singing is so complicated I much prefer leaving it to the pros and pretending that's totally me singing xD I even have favourite vocal performances because I'm that sad lol.
Raw egg o_O Maybe my voice might improve but I'd probably get food poisoning or something instead xD
Excretes your voice!? Lolol did you mean exercise or something? Oh yeah I've heard warming up is really helpful. I mostly just sing and everytime I start a new line I pinch my nose to test for any nasal singing and if it isn't, I try and remember that feeling. Also funnily enough, I found opening my mouth abit more helped me stop being super nasal but then you have to be careful of opening your mouth too wide and creating unnecessary tension. This thread made me do a little practice and I just managed to do a few notes in head voice with the sound being placed in my head so yay for that! Honestly, singing is so complicated I much prefer leaving it to the pros and pretending that's totally me singing xD I even have favourite vocal performances because I'm that sad lol.
Raw egg o_O Maybe my voice might improve but I'd probably get food poisoning or something instead xD

Using apple and it keeps autocorrecting me haha!! If you want to hit big notes, a good way would be breathing hard through your diaphragm and holding it (looks as if your belly is full), hold it and using head voice release the note while holding all that air in your diaphragm so its lets out a big clear amazing note! Other than that I'm sure exercising your voice would be great if you're willing to nail high notes etc! Hahah don't eat raw egg because I said that! I just heard so I'm not quiet sure :colondollar:
Reply 31
Using apple and it keeps autocorrecting me haha!! If you want to hit big notes, a good way would be breathing hard through your diaphragm and holding it (looks as if your belly is full), hold it and using head voice release the note while holding all that air in your diaphragm so its lets out a big clear amazing note! Other than that I'm sure exercising your voice would be great if you're willing to nail high notes etc! Hahah don't eat raw egg because I said that! I just heard so I'm not quiet sure :colondollar:

Autocorrect can be a right bitch sometimes. I don't even know if I want to hit like really long super high notes. My ultimate goals would be to be able to phrase well up to an E5 or so and have a supported and resonant head voice till B5. Breath support would be a good place to start although I naturally breathe from the diaphragm ( I heard some people breathe more shallowly through their chest or something?) so hopefully it won't be too hard. I always find it hard to differentiate between an unsupported note and a supported one outside of the lower register. Do you just continuously place your hand on your diaphragm or something to make sure you're doing it correctly? All I know is people like Xtina and Ariana sing in a very unsupported way in the 5th octave!
Autocorrect can be a right bitch sometimes. I don't even know if I want to hit like really long super high notes. My ultimate goals would be to be able to phrase well up to an E5 or so and have a supported and resonant head voice till B5. Breath support would be a good place to start although I naturally breathe from the diaphragm ( I heard some people breathe more shallowly through their chest or something?) so hopefully it won't be too hard. I always find it hard to differentiate between an unsupported note and a supported one outside of the lower register. Do you just continuously place your hand on your diaphragm or something to make sure you're doing it correctly? All I know is people like Xtina and Ariana sing in a very unsupported way in the 5th octave!

Yeah I place my hand on my belly so I'm aware I'm suppose to hold in air but people do it differently and I don't tend to hold my diaphragm.. I just sing for the sake of it and enjoy it haha! Just find what techniques are best for you and I hope they work out :smile:
Original post by TheOtherSide.

LOOL. ^This :tongue:
Oh my gosh, in your second link OP you reminded/sounded like Tori Kelly. Bless you :smile: If you have a Youtube channel or anything please share the link or if not you should definitely consider making one so more people could hear your lovely voice.
I'm a singer too and I've been trying to make a channel for a while now but due to lack of time, it's been near impossible. Hopefully by next year, things should be kicking.
Reply 35
Yeah I place my hand on my belly so I'm aware I'm suppose to hold in air but people do it differently and I don't tend to hold my diaphragm.. I just sing for the sake of it and enjoy it haha! Just find what techniques are best for you and I hope they work out :smile:

Oh that was bad phrasing on my part obviously you can't hold the diaphragm itself xD So what are you meant to feel then just your stomach expanding? But support is the most important thing so I need to get this down! lolol I just want to be able to sing a simple song without going nasally xD
Reply 36
i think i can't sing
you make me look like **** x'D

no it was very beautiful *_____*
Oh that was bad phrasing on my part obviously you can't hold the diaphragm itself xD So what are you meant to feel then just your stomach expanding? But support is the most important thing so I need to get this down! lolol I just want to be able to sing a simple song without going nasally xD

Yeah that!! Just your stomach expanding haha and then using head voice let it out :wink:
Original post by z33
i think i can't sing
you make me look like **** x'D

no it was very beautiful *_____*

Oh my, thank you <3
Original post by Cherry82
Oh my gosh, in your second link OP you reminded/sounded like Tori Kelly. Bless you :smile: If you have a Youtube channel or anything please share the link or if not you should definitely consider making one so more people could hear your lovely voice.
I'm a singer too and I've been trying to make a channel for a while now but due to lack of time, it's been near impossible. Hopefully by next year, things should be kicking.

Aww thank you! and I wish you the best of luck :smile: <3

Quick Reply

Latest