Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have finished my gcse exams but I am really getting worried as I think I have done badly in every exam. After every eam I felt I had failed it. The problem is that I have been ill, getting really bad headaches, fever and feeling dizzy and not having much sleep during the exam perod. Therefore hadn't been able to revise properly due to no concentration. I went to the doctor and he gave me a medical note regarding my problems and i am on special consideration. I got extra time but that didn't help because I hadn't revised properly and couldn't concentrate in most of my exams. My mock and predicted grades are high and I have got very good marks for all my courseworks. The teachers have said that the exam board will look at my exam performance and then look at my coursework and predicted grades. So if I get very low grades in my exams (which I hope I don't) due to my illness will the board raise my grades or choose my predicted grades?
    Another problem is that some teachers have said that my case is unusual and the exam board may not listen. I am really getting worried since I spent monthes revising but underperformed in my exams due to being ill.
    Has this happened to anyone before and what did the exm board do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    I have finished my gcse exams but I am really getting worried as I think I have done badly in every exam. After every eam I felt I had failed it. The problem is that I have been ill, getting really bad headaches, fever and feeling dizzy and not having much sleep during the exam perod. Therefore hadn't been able to revise properly due to no concentration. I went to the doctor and he gave me a medical note regarding my problems and i am on special consideration. I got extra time but that didn't help because I hadn't revised properly and couldn't concentrate in most of my exams. My mock and predicted grades are high and I have got very good marks for all my courseworks. The teachers have said that the exam board will look at my exam performance and then look at my coursework and predicted grades. So if I get very low grades in my exams (which I hope I don't) due to my illness will the board raise my grades or choose my predicted grades?
    Another problem is that some teachers have said that my case is unusual and the exam board may not listen. I am really getting worried since I spent monthes revising but underperformed in my exams due to being ill.

You havent revised properly but spent months revisiing?

Anyway the exam board wont up your grades significantly so if you get C's they arent going to give you A's just because your predicted grades suggest so. As your case seems realitvley rare I would suggest they might up them one grade, so if you get a C youll get a B etc. Dont expect miracles though.

Dont worry about the exams though everyone feels theyve done terrible afterwords and there only GCSES.

ReputationRep:
    But I am really scared about what will happen on results day? I will not be able to tolerate failing any exam.
    I had revised months before but due to the headaches and dizziness I have not been able to remember the stuff in the exam

Please reassure everything will be ok because I get these wierd thoughts of doing some harm to my self on the results day if I find out I have failed? I believe I am a failure who has diappointed everyone esp my family

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's when you look back really aren't that hard. I revised about an hour the night before for each, it was all i did and i got 3 A's, 6 B's and 2 C's. I know they aren't great but i did barely any work all year 10 and 11, which i do regret now majorly. Honestly, I wouldn't worry. It's too late now and if you did revise before the headaches you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Are the headaches and dizzyness definately caused by the exam stress?

What kind of pressure have people been putting you under?

You'll probably be fine. I'm just happy that I should be able to relax now they're all behind me. Yesterday I found out that my Art teacher thinks I got an A, unless the grade boundaries change a lot. That really encouraged me because I thought Art was my worst subject!

ReputationRep:
    But I am really scared about what will happen on results day? I will not be able to tolerate failing any exam.
    I had revised months before but due to the headaches and dizziness I have not been able to remember the stuff in the exam

Please reassure everything will be ok because I get these wierd thoughts of doing some harm to my self on the results day if I find out I have failed? I believe I am a failure who has diappointed everyone esp my family
    hey, there's no need to get so upset over this! dont worry yourself, you will only get more ill. listen...
    at one point or another, everyone will think that they have failed an exam, everyone. that is all the people contained within this rather large globe. you are also part of it!!
    another point, as you have been ill, you probably 'feel' you have under-performed as you might not have been able to concentrate as well as you might have liked..but if you were predicted high grades, that shows that you have a lot of intelligence in you and you probably just dont realise this. i found that revising loads for my mock helped me, as i remembered lots of stuff when revising for the actual exam, that was probably the case for everyone.
    third point, maths non-cal was impossible, and most people found physics hard too, so the bounderies will go down for them cos they cant have all the UK failing
    dont worry about these results. you really need to chill now. you have nothing to do. relax and enjoy that word NOTHING!!
    i know that i may not have helped you much, but my point is dont get yourself wound up about this. there is nothing you can do!! it's all out of your hands so what is worrying going to do?
    SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did i make you smile?!

ReputationRep:

If you're intelligent enough to come on a learing forum, then me thinks you're intelligent enough to pass your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiffmaster)
    If you're intelligent enough to come on a learing forum, then me thinks you're intelligent enough to pass your GCSEs.

Don't worry,I've finished my GCSE''s as well and im a bit worried about certain exams because I don't think I did to well in the maths calculater(AQA),my maths tecaher didn't even teach us half the things that were on the exam :mad: , and im not sure about my german listening and reading exams .But I think I did alright in my other exams ,so try to think positively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maz_superstar)
    Don't worry,I've finished my GCSE''s as well and im a bit worried about certain exams because I don't think I did to well in the maths calculater(AQA),my maths tecaher didn't even teach us half the things that were on the exam :mad: , and im not sure about my german listening and reading exams .But I think I did alright in my other exams ,so try to think positively.
    I got all worried about my exams after my mocks. But i'm actually less nervous about the results of the real GCSEs than I was about my mock grades.

Don't worry, even if you were to fail some (which you won't), you're still alive and nothing in your life really changes. We have 10 weeks of pure freedom. No coursework, homework, nothing. Enjoy the summer we're free now and can buy obscene amounts of beer once again. But for God's sake, don't worry, it achieves nothing.

(Original post by wiffmaster)
    We have 10 weeks of pure freedom. No coursework, homework, nothing. Enjoy the summer we're free now and can buy obscene amounts of beer once again. But for God's sake, don't worry, it achieves nothing.
    Just reminded my of how good my life is going to be for the next 10 weeks.
    But just wish the weather would get better.

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds strange but denying the existence of an exam until the day before is an excellent way of doing it. Relaxation is the key. Apart from the getting up sometimes this month has been a holiday for me, and I would have had it no other way. It's unfourtunate that you have not been able to sleep I get to sleep when the birds in the morning start to sing and have to get up like an hour later for morning exams. But still, fatigue and even headache doesn't affect results that much that special consideration should be sought. If I were to do that I would feel like some kind of failure, begging for false grades. I mean, fatigue does affect performance I know but still (too many times I have just not read chunks of the question or not noticed them at all, or not even attempted questions because I wanted to put my head down), I just would not feel right. Despite my having probably not done well enough in some subjects they don't really matter, it's only GCSE and they are too easy to be worried about. The best way is to realise that they're done and you have a huge summer of greatness, whatever you're doing, to live. Every subject I finish I give a last gesture and it's finished! there's no point wasting more of your life, good luck

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same...and infact i think everyone does...the exam board are not going to be sympathetic. I was sick in several of my exams, and i dont think the teachers told the exam board, simply because there would be no beneficial outcome.

Today i had a headache during history...oh well, i dont think it hindered my performance though

ReputationRep:
    A poor girl I know got quite a low grade for her GCSE physics mock, and so worked really hard for the next few months to try and get a really good grade. She was sick on Monday evening, and was too ill to sit the Physics exam on Tuesday? Does anyone know what will happen? She does double award science, so will she just not be graded for Physics or what? Poor thing, she was so upset...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry)
    You havent revised properly but spent months revisiing?

Anyway the exam board wont up your grades significantly so if you get C's they arent going to give you A's just because your predicted grades suggest so. As your case seems realitvley rare I would suggest they might up them one grade, so if you get a C youll get a B etc. Dont expect miracles though.

Dont worry about the exams though everyone feels theyve done terrible afterwords and there only GCSES.
    They really really wont...my friend had a concussion during his exams and the exam boards actually did nothing...theyre just unsympathetic w*nkers. Besides whats done is done, you cant tell them after the exams...because its a little obvious what youre trying to do, or what they suspect youre trying to do.

Just leave it ...its over. Youll probably be very surprised come August 26th.

ReputationRep:
    But won't they be able to tell that I have underperformed in my exams. I mean if I get an E or F and I was predited a B or C then with the medical note they'll be able to tell that I had underperformed due to not feeling well. The exam board won't really want to fail anyone esp if if he has a doctor's note. I'm not asking for As or A*, all I want is to pass my GCSEs with mainly Bs + Cs. The exam board can't be that harsh, I wish they listen?

ReputationRep:
    I have talked to most of the teachers regarding the exams and they know what I've been through and they say the exam board will have to do something.
    Some teachers were even saying that the exam board might ring up my subject teachers if I've done badly in some exams. The teachers will tell them about grade they were expecting me to get and the board may base my grade on that. Do u think it will work?

ReputationRep:
    It may do but as has already been said, dont expect miracles. I think it will work to do enough though. Ive just finished my alevels and ive had a headache for 6 weeks which i have done nothing about. It has made my eyes feel funny too. And like you i have not been able to perform at my best. Ive messed up two geo exams which i was sposed to get an A in. Im gutted i can tell u!! Not sure i messed up cos of headaches and little sleep but i did panic when i got into the exams. I had been revising for months too. Good luck with sorting it out and im sure ur grades will be great anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You're not the only one worrying about exam results and even more so for me, feeling ashamed of not achieving my potential. BUT think of it this way, how many exams have you come out of saying "Oh my gosh, that was so hard... I've failed?", quite a few I suspect. I know I have. And did you really do that bad? In most cases, the answer will be no and I know that one person cannot be so unlucky to have 10/10 GCSEs were he felt like he had messed them up, and he actually had. That's the worse thing of public exams, the waiting but we are all going throught it. And if you have really messed your exams up, there will be quite a good few others who are in the same position.

If as you said you were predicted high grades and say got D's in all your exams, with a medical note and these grades they would most certainly have to put you up to a C. But still, you may not have really messed your exams up anyway.

What I suggest is that you expect the lowest grades possible, even if you're a really optimistic person and full of dreams. If you expect the highest grade possible you could be dissapointed, rather than being happy because you have done well. So you telling yourself you've done bad, may not be a bad thing because you'll feel relieved on the 26th.

A lesson can be learned from this experience. Don't make exams make you ill, and make sure you do worth revision that means something.

Overall, don't worry! I'm quite scared or was, but I refuse to let it ruin my summer, or even my life. And of course if things really don't go that well, remember everything happens for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    You're not the only one worrying about exam results and even more so for me, feeling ashamed of not achieving my potential. BUT think of it this way, how many exams have you come out of saying "Oh my gosh, that was so hard... I've failed?", quite a few I suspect. I know I have. And did you really do that bad? In most cases, the answer will be no and I know that one person cannot be so unlucky to have 10/10 GCSEs were he felt like he had messed them up, and he actually had. That's the worse thing of public exams, the waiting but we are all going throught it. And if you have really messed your exams up, there will be quite a good few others who are in the same position.

If as you said you were predicted high grades and say got D's in all your exams, with a medical note and these grades they would most certainly have to put you up to a C. But still, you may not have really messed your exams up anyway.

What I suggest is that you expect the lowest grades possible, even if you're a really optimistic person and full of dreams. If you expect the highest grade possible you could be dissapointed, rather than being happy because you have done well. So you telling yourself you've done bad, may not be a bad thing because you'll feel relieved on the 26th.

A lesson can be learned from this experience. Don't make exams make you ill, and make sure you do worth revision that means something.

Overall, don't worry! I'm quite scared or was, but I refuse to let it ruin my summer, or even my life. And of course if things really don't go that well, remember everything happens for a reason.

In all fairness though, if in the back of your mind and aaccording to predicitions you should get high grades, even if you tried to tell yourself that e.g.) a grade lower on average is fine and that you'd be pleased with that, deep down, unless you achieved your real potential, you will be disappointed.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.