Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm only doing 9 GCSE'S and some are fairly similar, will this affect me because I am aiming for a top university?
    English Lang
    English Lit
    History
    Maths
    Further Science
    Additional Science
    P.E.
    Statistics (A* I did this last year)
    Core Science (A* I did this last year)

ReputationRep:
    No it wouldn't put you at a disadvantage! Good luck getting the grades you need though!

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Good luck with your exams

ReputationRep:
    Nope - I did 9 IGCSEs and got in just fine

To be fair, some people could say that "OMG you did IGCSEs they get more points than GCSEs" but universities either don't know the difference, or don't care.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing nine too😋

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy__xxx)
    I'm only doing 9 GCSE'S and some are fairly similar, will this affect me because I am aiming for a top university?
    English Lang
    English Lit
    History
    Maths
    Further Science
    Additional Science
    P.E.
    Statistics (A* I did this last year)
    Core Science (A* I did this last year)
    Nope, as long as you have passed all the core modules in English, Maths and Science you'll be fine. Although, if you do the subjects at GCSE you plan on doing at A-Level it will help get you to your course. What you study at GCSE is more important than how much imo

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking 10 and I even wondered this a while ago but to be honest my friend goes to a private school and is doing 13 and he is so stressed about his exams he has so most stupid amount of exams so i'm thinking with less I am probably going to do better than if I had more. Perhaps if we only got 5 decent grades but we're all going to get A's :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    Is 9 seemingly a small number or something...? I did 10 and I thought that was a fairly ''ok that's enough'' amount?

ReputationRep:
    That's more than Enough!
    My school only offered 9 GCSEs and I got offers from unis just fine it doesn't matter in the slightest if you've got top grades in those 9 subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what grades you get and what you're applying for.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The maximum number anyone actually cares about are the top 8. I'm taking 15 subjects (though some are taken early) which is ridiculous when I won't need half of them even to get into A levels or uni. 9/10 is the best number as you have room to have a subject that you completely mess up the exam or something and still have 8 stellular results.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.