The Student Room Group

chromatin

i dont understand what is meant by chromatin.. i know that it is when the cell is inactive and is not dividing so dna is in the form of chromatin? also why does chromatin contain protein as well?? and are histones the same proteins that are present when the cell is inactive and what is their function.....ugh im so confused
Reply 1
Original post by NoorL
i dont understand what is meant by chromatin.. i know that it is when the cell is inactive and is not dividing so dna is in the form of chromatin? also why does chromatin contain protein as well?? and are histones the same proteins that are present when the cell is inactive and what is their function.....ugh im so confused

Chromatin is just the loose form that the DNA is arranged in during interphase and also when cells are quiescent (G0 phase). Cells spend most of their time in interphase and therefore the DNA spends most of its time as chromatin. It is often a misconception that DNA is arranged in tightly packed chromosomes most of the time - this isn't true. DNA spends most of it's time as chromatin. The DNA in chromatin are held in this loose arrangement by histones, which are just proteins. The DNA replicates during the S phase of interphase and during DNA replication the DNA is still found as loose chromatin. During prophase, cyclin-dependent kinases (CDKs) phosphorylate proteins within the cell including histones. This causes the DNA to condense and become tightly packed into chromosomes. During telophase, the DNA decondenses to form chromatin again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending