Should FA Cup replays be scrapped? Watch

Poll: Should FA Cup replays be scrapped?
Yes (12)
66.67%
No (5)
27.78%
Don't know (1)
5.56%
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mackay)
I very rarely agree with Martin Samuel, but he raised a very good point on today's Sunday Supplement. He suggested pooling the money raised on each matchday by every club per round, so everybody gets a fair share. Sure, the big clubs would take a hit, but it would make sure no teams went into games begging for a replay.
Yeah he made some pertinent points including the idea of giving the winner of the FA Cup the fourth Champions League place and Matt Law debunked some of Steve Bruce's moans also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Yeah he made some pertinent points including the idea of giving the winner of the FA Cup the fourth Champions League place and Matt Law debunked some of Steve Bruce's moans also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't necessarily agree with with the winner getting a spot in the CL. Purely because I think a team who finishes 4th over the course of the season is probably more deserving than a team down in 15th or 16th who could beat a few League One sides and a couple of Championship sides and end up in the FA Cup final.
moggis
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
No. Look at teams like Birmingham, Swansea and Boro. League Cup is the only thing they've won in **** knows how many years and they aren't exactly going to win anything else for a while. Gets their fans a day out at Wembley, a trophy to celebrate and a run in Europe the next year.

I'd be completely againt it being scrapped
Swansea have won the league cup !!!!??

I honestly didn't know.

Just goes to show how important it is.

Need to consult Wikipedia for a run down of recent finals,lol.
djh2208
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honesty I hate replays. I don't want to go to a match and have it end up being insignificant because it was draw.
moggis
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by djh2208)
Honesty I hate replays. I don't want to go to a match and have it end up being insignificant because it was draw.
Then support a small team.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
7pm kick-off tonight so BBC One can show the new episode of New Tricks. FFS.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Replays to be scrapped for the QFs. That's a good start.
Greedoshotfirst
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I personally cannot make my mind up. You have to remember that back in the day the FA Cup had replays not for just 2 games and the extra time, but the tie could drag on for months maybe! Enfield Played Leyton Orient in the 1988 FA Cup 1st round 3 or 4 times I believe (Enfield being the eventual winners of the tie). But I do see why fans would want to see the replay system scrapped because it does leave fixture floating about for the season and some clubs may not care domestically enough. But in the same sense the FA Cup has created some golden games and ties due to the replay system, thus maybe it should not be scrapped. But hey I think we can all agree that the FA Cup is the best English football has to offer!
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Abolishing replays at the QFs makes total sense. It allows the smaller clubs who will knocked out beforehand to still their their hands on the financial incentive of a replay in round 3 or 4, and eases up fixture congestion for the bigger clubs towards the business end of the season.
GCSE_beginner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think that FA Cup replays should be scrapped however two legged semi finals for the Carabao cup should go
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (29)
27.88%
Spring (22)
21.15%
Autumn/Fall (28)
26.92%
Winter (18)
17.31%
I love them all equally (7)
6.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise