Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've became good friends with this girl over the last few weeks. We started talking on FB first and then met a couple of weeks ago. We've been going out to different places - to churches, restaurants and malls - and she has introduced me to her friends as well. Now recently, she's been asking me if we should go out and hang around... yesterday only, she asked if we should go watch a movie together in the cinemas, and today she sent me a few pictures of a park and said we should go there sometime. And now the plot twist: she's been calling me brother in a joking manner, and she's said that at least twice over the last 2 week..

I'm getting the vibes that she likes me but at the same time she calls me a brother? What's this supposed to mean? Is she asking to me to make a move or subtly implying to back off? Because whenever I flirt with her, she responds in a flirty manner as well. I'm confused.. :/

ReputationRep:
    She likes you. Maybe she's testing to see if you see her as a sister? Idk. Ask her out.

ReputationRep:
    Some people say brother and sister as some form of...something or other.

e.g. "Hey bro/sis, how are you doing?" Doesn't literally mean you see them as a brother or sister as such, more just an introductory or identification type of word.

Basically tell her how you feel and whatever happens will happen. If she doesn't like you in return, don't sweat it, you'll get another chance with another girl most likely later on in life. If she's like "hell yeah" then bingo, you an have happy fun times together.

Me thinks that you're over-thinking this and you just need to say "F it, lets do this" and embrace whatever comes next :-)

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Well as you've only known each other for a few weeks i'd say if she's sending you pictures of a park and suggesting she'd like to go there with you it certainly implies that she might like you as more than a friend and that might be her way of asking you out?

If you two have been friends for longer/years then normally things like that are just friendly; for example I always suggest places and resturants to go out/hang out with my close friends all the time because i enjoy spending time with them, its not necessarily anything romantic it just means you're good friends who enjoy each others company.

The 'brother' thing could just be a friendly inside joke or her way of testing the waters to see how you respond. Just ask her if she really sees you as a 'brother' and be upfront and see how she reacts.

Everyone's different, but personally I'm very put off by indirectness, mind games are boring. Its always best to be straightforward

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.