Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Internet saftey watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm a year 12 and I've got to give an assembly to year 7's on Internet safety (at a girls school).I want to draw it from relevant, current problems rather then what teachers unrealistically tell you to do.

Any ideas on what you think are the biggest dangers, stories about dangerous online or any opinions/information would be very valuable.

Thank you for your time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fraud is a big one. Teach them how they shouldn't enter any sensitive information like card info if they don't see the padlock symbol and https in the URL. The padlock means the information is encrypted.

Don't trust any links you get in emails. If an email is claiming something is wrong don't click or use the links in the email as it could be fake. Instead open you browser and go to the official website.

Be very careful about what you download. The nets full of bundled spam software like browser plugins that spy on you and slow things down,

Don't trust emails in general the SMTP protocol is insecure people can forge emails easily.

Don't open email attachments you arn't expecting.

Don't put your personal information online. Keep in mind employers in the future might google you so be careful what you say or use an alias that can't be linked back to you.

Install an antivirus.

ReputationRep:
    Accepting randomers on fb, going on chatrooms as these are filled with nonces posing as younger males.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm an internet softy

I don't use the internet to belittle people, no matter how bad their spelling is

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.