Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When I'm at home I hate it. I feel like I am just there not because my parents love me or want to care for me, but instead I am there because I have to be. At the moment I have to stay inside 24/7 doing non-stop revision for mock exams that are not the real ones. Seriously, I have not been allowed to leave at all so far this week. I try to explain to my parents that it's just a practice for when I am in Year 11 but they do not understand. Whenever I start talking, I am immediately cut off and dismissed. I have no importance to them whatsoever. Anything I suggest that could help or be beneficial to me is never listened to. Instead I am shouted at and told to go back to my room. I am a high achiever at school and always gain the top marks but I am never praised for this. They shout at me if I get a B on an exam. I think I am the least favoured child in the family. My oldest brother had the same done to him and because of all the stress and pressure put on him, his GCSE's went quite bad. Unfortunately, they are doing the same to me and all I ever hear is that if I don't get all A's and A*'s I am going to be pretty much disowned. I feel sad every day at home and whenever I get a two hour break to go out one or two days a week, I feel very reluctant to go home. All they do is try to strike fear on me. They insult me and tell me attitude is disgusting. I have put more dedication into my education that 99% of my year group. I feel that this stress, pressure and sadness is going to affect my future. I don't know what to do or say back because nothing can ever make them understand. I just cry alone and talk to my girlfriend when I can. She tells me about how she enjoys being at home and that half-term should be a time to relax. I don't know what to do so I was wondering if there was any suggestions on how I could deal with this..physically and mentally. It's hurting my relationship and it's turning me depressed.

ReputationRep:
    Im guessing yoir parents are asian? Same thing happened to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I'm at home I hate it. I feel like I am just there not because my parents love me or want to care for me, but instead I am there because I have to be. At the moment I have to stay inside 24/7 doing non-stop revision for mock exams that are not the real ones. Seriously, I have not been allowed to leave at all so far this week. I try to explain to my parents that it's just a practice for when I am in Year 11 but they do not understand. Whenever I start talking, I am immediately cut off and dismissed. I have no importance to them whatsoever. Anything I suggest that could help or be beneficial to me is never listened to. Instead I am shouted at and told to go back to my room. I am a high achiever at school and always gain the top marks but I am never praised for this. They shout at me if I get a B on an exam. I think I am the least favoured child in the family. My oldest brother had the same done to him and because of all the stress and pressure put on him, his GCSE's went quite bad. Unfortunately, they are doing the same to me and all I ever hear is that if I don't get all A's and A*'s I am going to be pretty much disowned. I feel sad every day at home and whenever I get a two hour break to go out one or two days a week, I feel very reluctant to go home. All they do is try to strike fear on me. They insult me and tell me attitude is disgusting. I have put more dedication into my education that 99% of my year group. I feel that this stress, pressure and sadness is going to affect my future. I don't know what to do or say back because nothing can ever make them understand. I just cry alone and talk to my girlfriend when I can. She tells me about how she enjoys being at home and that half-term should be a time to relax. I don't know what to do so I was wondering if there was any suggestions on how I could deal with this..physically and mentally. It's hurting my relationship and it's turning me depressed.
    I get what you mean. It's easy to do things simply because you're scared of your parents, or you just don't want to disappointment them. However, you must remember that they don't hate you or not care for you. Your parents love you and are trying their best to set you up for a good future. Their only idea of how to achieve this is for you to get really good grades.

However, I think mental health is a lot more important. I have a thread about stress if you'd like to read that. For the first step, I'd say you could try to focus on the positives. Look at the good aspects of your life, and the good in what your parents are doing. It is a good idea to talk to someone, anyone. As your parents don't seem to listen, you can talk to your girlfriend. Alternatively, you could just speak to a friend or anyone on TSR. My PM is open if you'd like to PM me, but you are anonymous so I understand if you don't. I think trying to keep a clear, balanced mind is the way to overcome things like depression, or an attempt to anyway. Different things work best for different people.

Doing exercise can really help physically. It's a great idea to do this, even if it is just 5 minutes a day. It's good for your body, is a great stress reliever and makes you happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.