Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Deep Thought Thursdays: The Philosophy of Immortality watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Immortality is a concept that frequently comes up in the culture and writings of you humans, from myths, to pop culture, it's something that's come up across the ages.

There are a number of debates that this sparks, such as whether it would be a good thing to be, what your purpose would be with it, and how it could affect the human race if it were to become reality.

So my question this week is this: Does immorality affect what the meaning of life is to you? And would you want to be immortal?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Deep-Thought)
    Immortality is a concept that frequently comes up in the culture and writings of you humans, from myths, to pop culture, it's something that's come up across the ages.

There are a number of debates that this sparks, such as whether it would be a good thing to be, what your purpose would be with it, and how it could affect the human race if it were to become reality.

So my question this week is this: Does immorality affect what the meaning of life is to you? And would you want to be immortal?
    I definitely would not want to be immortal especially if those around me weren't themselves

ReputationRep:

I think it does yeah. I mean I AM religious so I guess the meaning to my life should be to please God and try and get myself a ticket to heaven but I'm on the Highway to Hell already so plan B
    plan B is you make your own meaning
    usually my philosophy is that 'life is too short, make the best of it, help as many people as you can because if you're not here in 60 years they will be and if you're the cause for that then you've done a great job'
    and if we were immortal then... life isnt short anymore
    we have infinite time so we'll eventually get to doing everything and be bored - one of the great things about being mortal is kinda treating it like a challenge of how successful you can be in 70-80 years on Earth

it's kinda like when you play a game and there's a timer on it and you have to sit there and see it through and make sure you get your objective before time runs out

when there's no timer it gets boring after a while, there's no rush, you'll get all the objectives done at some point or just leave it in the middle and it wont make a difference because it doesn't give you the "I just beat this game/level" feeling yaknow?

I would not wanna be immortal - this is enough pain already and tbh I'm surprised I'm still even here x'D

/rambling

ReputationRep:
    No, immortality does not affect what the meaning of life is to me, namely to maximise my own happiness and maximise the well-being of everyone else.

I would want to be immortal. I can't conceive of a moment in time in which I would be willing to "accept" death. Anti-ageing research and, more speculatively, mind uploading to computers, could ensure that we stay physically fit and mentally active forever.

Many people claim that death is natural and that we should just accept it. But, to paraphrase Eliezer Yudkowsky: if people got hit on the head by a cricket bat every week, pretty soon they would invent reasons why getting hit on the head with a cricket bat was a good thing. In other words, people accept death because if they didn't, they would notice all of the death around them (150,000 people died today) and would be more likely to break down.

ReputationRep:

If everyone was immortal that would literally the worst thing that could bappen to humanity because it wouldnt be long before the world is overpopulated and hunger, poverty and suffering are rampant. I mean you could ban people from having kids but what are you gonna do if they disobey - kill them? :lol:

Life is apparently meaningless and I dont see how immortality would change that, im fact it would probably just accentuate the meaninglessness of life because our ever impending deaths is a large part of why we strive to achieve anything in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.