The Student Room Group

Is leaving your laptop unattended for a few mins at uni library safe?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by guesswho2
Suppose i could take a picture of them.

And if I come back with them and my laptop gone I'll know who it is. Can then give their photo to the police- might even get put on crimewatch.

I doubt random stranger would let you take a picture of them for the sole purpose of perhaps accusing them of a crime
Original post by z33
then you know who it was
idk leave some kinda recording device/ chip in it

or just dont risk it at all

You mean a camera? Woukdn't they take that too?
Original post by The Warsmith
Ask a friend to watch over it.

A hidden tracker tag might be handy too!

I have no friends with me.
Original post by Plagioclase
How big is the library? I'd leave my laptop unattended in my departmental library but it's small and not busy.

quite big.
Original post by Helpme.

Who likes a broken face :smile:

In order to provide such an injury you first have to identify find and catch the thief. Then you have to hope it isn't thieves, and that you yourself are not the recipient of the said injury. Fancy your chances?
Original post by jawsontheflooor
No I wouldn't risk it, get someone to watch it or take it with you
People kept setting off fire alarms in the library in the uni i was at before so everyone would be evacuated and laptops would be stolen
savages

Wow thiefs are getting smarter and brutal these days.
Original post by Blondie987
I doubt random stranger would let you take a picture of them for the sole purpose of perhaps accusing them of a crime

I know but I would just take a picture anyway.
Original post by Good bloke
In order to provide such an injury you first have to identify find and catch the thief. Then you have to hope it isn't thieves, and that you yourself are not the recipient of the said injury. Fancy your chances?

If you beat the **** out of someone for stealing your laptop- could you go to jail?
If you beat the **** out of someone for stealing your laptop- could you go to jail?

Oh yes.
Reply 29

Library have cameras?
Tell them to check it between the times u were mising lets say 10mins and say u lost ur usb
Therefore u see them
And thats it u know who it was
Oh yes.

Why?
Original post by Helpme.
Library have cameras?
Tell them to check it between the times u were mising lets say 10mins and say u lost ur usb
Therefore u see them
And thats it u know who it was

Dont think every area of the library is covered with cameras.
Why?

Because taking revenge by physical violence is a criminal act, and so is using disproportionate force to protect your property if you catch them in the act.
I only leave mine in very busy library areas (e.g. in view of the staff at the lending desk) with a bunch of stuff on top of it anyway so it would cause a scene to take it in a hurry.

That being said, I only leave it to take 5 minute toilet breaks. If you're going to leave it longer than that, it starts getting pretty risky!
I think it's safe, everyone at uni has their own stuff anyway..why would they steal yours? Plus, it's a library. - surely people are just studying and therefore stealing would not be on their minds at all. I personally leave my stuff for agesss in the sixth form library all the time. Like, my bag + I even leave my phone on the desk- go and have lunch then return and nobody's ever touched anything ever. Idk if sixth form libraries are comparable to those at uni but I dont think there's anything wrong with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
quite big.

Well then I probably wouldn't :nope:

If it's gratuitous violence, i.e. anything more than the force required to stop them from committing the crime then yes, you can be charged.
Reply 36
Dont think every area of the library is covered with cameras.

Then you have to take ur chances
Whoever was around you
U have ask them
Get to the ppl if they disagree
Tell them the librarian saw u take it
If they agree to come and talk to the librarian
It wasnt them
leave it with the librarian
ask a friend to keep an eye on it otherwise I wouldn't leave it there
Because taking revenge by physical violence is a criminal act, and so is using disproportionate force to protect your property if you catch them in the act.

Not in America it isn't

Quick Reply

Latest