Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I wanted to know which uni is best in terms of reputation, campus life and how it is regarded by well known law firms... so the choices are University of Manchester, University of Liverpool , Cardiff university and Leeds and University of reading...

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose Manchester

Manchester > Leeds > Liverpool > Cardiff > Reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiks020)
    Hello, I wanted to know which uni is best in terms of reputation, campus life and how it is regarded by well known law firms... so the choices are University of Manchester, University of Liverpool , Cardiff university and Leeds and University of reading...
    Manchester is the fifth most targeted university by large magic circle firms beating UCL, LSE, Kings, Warwick, Bristol and Edinburgh. The Times and Chamber student released a report today which shows which universities law firms seem to prefer. They interviewed thousands of trainee solicitors and ask each on which universities they went to.

Check out the results here;

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachpetals)
    Manchester is the fifth most targeted university by large magic circle firms beating UCL, LSE, Kings, Warwick, Bristol and Edinburgh. The Times and Chamber student released a report today which shows which universities law firms seem to prefer. They interviewed thousands of trainee solicitors and ask each on which universities they went to.

Completely agree, Manchester has great links with the magic circle and top commercial firms. You only have to scour top firms trainee profiles on Linkedin to find many Manchester graduates at them. I am studying the LLB at Manchester in September. Obviously Oxbridge etc features heavily too but Manchester is your best choice out of those unis you have applied for. Manchester also has the best international rep out of all of those too (56th in the world).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for those advice but is reading that bad :O like do reading graduates get a training contract ?

ReputationRep:
    Like all unis they probably do, but no where near as many as Manchester for example, and not at big firms either most likely (if you were aspiring to work for a major law firm). You'd much more likely find a Manchester grad at Allen & Overy (magic circle firm) than a Reading grad. Law is a hunger games and uni prestige does play a part no matter how elitist that is and appears.

Leeds and Cardiff are your best bets after Manchester but I would definitely go for Manchester if you can get it.

Reading requires AAA-AAB and let someone in with BBC for law according to a thread by that student on TSR...that says an awful lot about the calibre and reputation of Reading's law school. No disrespect, but its saying AAA when it should be ABB-BBB for Law. That is my opinion and some others may agree.

Remember the majority of good firms require AAB at A level and above and are often very strict on this.

I am going to Manchester for Law in September so naturally I am biased but it is without doubt a well regarded university as the figures from Chambers Student show

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where all these people who are saying Manchester is better than Warwick, but they can **** off. Success in the Chambers report they're talking about has nothing to do with the quality of the LLB course at the particular universities, but merely the number of students the particular universities pump out.

Incidentally, Manchester is probably the best out of those universities. But the above posters are still talking a load of *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORW)
    Reading requires AAA-AAB and let someone in with BBC for law according to a thread by that student on TSR...that says an awful lot about the calibre and reputation of Reading's law school. No disrespect, but its saying AAA when it should be ABB-BBB for Law. That is my opinion and some others may agree.
    Manchester says it's AAA for law when it should be AAB–ABB. Swings and roundabouts, bud.

ReputationRep:

Lol, you do realise how inherently flawed your post is? Manchester is a huge university, with a decent reputation admittedly, so was always going to do well when looking at statistics in such a simplistic way.

You cannot say that the university is 'targeted' in any meaningful way above the universities you listed because more trainees happen to be from Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by like_marmite)
    I don't know where all these people who are saying Manchester is better than Warwick, but they can **** off. Success in the Chambers report they're talking about has nothing to do with the quality of the LLB course at the particular universities, but merely the number of students the particular universities pump out.

Incidentally, Manchester is probably the best out of those universities. But the above posters are still talking a load of *******s.
    Lol do you go to Warwick your very defensive

ReputationRep:
    Manchester IS better than the unis listed

But, it's law department + reputation is NOT as good as Warwick, Bristol, UCL, LSE, Durham, Nottingham (and Edinburgh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiks020)
    If you are looking at reputation, I would choose Manchester as my first choice, followed by Leeds, Cardiff/Reading, then Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    Lol do you go to Warwick your very defensive
    Nah, but I can tell you're heading to Manchester. *you're

ReputationRep:
    Yes everyone would agree Manchester does not match LSE, Warwick and Bristol etc for Law, I think anyone would be stupid to say it does. BUT, the purpose of this thread is to see what is best between Manchester, Cardiff, Reading and Liverpool for Law...

Manchester is best out of those 4, we are not saying its better than LSE etc...

So those ranting about Manchester stop assuming we're trying to make Manchester out to be the best uni ever for Law, we know its far from it but know it is "good" for Law.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.