Turn on thread page Beta

receiving results!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    This has always happened. No you can't get them any earlier than results day, and the UCAS track site is turned off during the results period... You will not hear from your uni until after the official results day.
    So the unis already know who they are definitely going to accept and who they are most likely gonna get a phonecall from??
    And if you meet the offer don't phone them, gotcha. what the hell is up with the smiley?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    yeah bt arent A-level enough to show i can speak english?
    Nope - when I was at Oxford doing my D.Phil, the student the year above me in our lab had to take the IELTS in order to get the D.Phil offer as she was a French National - it didn't matter that she had done her degree over here....

ReputationRep:
    i gt a D after living 2 yrs in uk bt this yr i fall asleep during ma exams cos the txt were toooo boring and i stayed up all night coz i had improtant AS exams ont hose two days.
    nt sure about A-level BCC probably
    What do you want to study? Thats 20 points in the old system I think and according to the entry requirments on the daily times thats more than enough.

You should be able to get into a decent university via clearing, but you may find the ones you applied to will make you an offer. I got a D in English and iy hasn't been a problem, I got offers from all 5 of the places I applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    What do you want to study? Thats 20 points in the old system I think and according to the entry requirments on the daily times thats more than enough.

You should be able to get into a decent university via clearing, but you may find the ones you applied to will make you an offer. I got a D in English and iy hasn't been a problem, I got offers from all 5 of the places I applied to.
    aerospcae/motorsport engineering
    i rung one of the uni and said if i dont get a C i wont gt in (and its a crap uni- kingston)

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't hear anything from universities until after results day, but a couple of my sisters friends got things from their 1st choice in the post on results day before they'd gone into school so they already knew they'd got in!

With results slips, if the schools done the cash in codes right you should get marks for the modules you sat this time and also an overall grade for each subject (A,B,C etc.)

ReputationRep:
    aerospcae/motorsport engineering
    i rung one of the uni and said if i dont get a C i wont gt in (and its a crap uni- kingston)
    They told me that if I didn't get 220 points I was unlikely to get in at Salford, there are serveral people on my course with as little as 180 so they just like to trick you into working harder. I got 280 in the end though after all my worrying I was going to fail it would have been 320 if this stupid old man didn't make us all fail our key skills.

ReputationRep:
    BTW the results dy 4 gcses r a week after alevel so i wont know if i got in 4 a week longer than every1 else :eek:?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I got 280 in the end though after all my worrying I was going to fail it would have been 320 if this stupid old man didn't make us all fail our key skills.
    What is the world coming to when people believe key skills should be taken into account in their points? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    What is the world coming to when people believe key skills should be taken into account in their points? :rolleyes:
    I'm glad you also share my opinion.

Music grades, key skills and child care things should not be incorporated in the points tariff. If someone wants to show these off, they should go in the personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    What do the AS results slips look like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I'm glad you also share my opinion.

Music grades, key skills and child care things should not be incorporated in the points tariff. If someone wants to show these off, they should go in the personal statement.
    Indeed. I think the points system has become a bit misleading. By including all sorts of additional 'qualifications', it disguises how well they've done in their A levels.

On the old system an A at A level was worth 10 points and an E was 2 points - a fifth of the value of an A. In the new system an E is worth one third of the value of an A.

I guess this is all part of the government's drive to get more people into higher education - if they can't make the people clever enough they can make it look as though they're clever enough. :rolleyes:

Government policy. Bah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    What do the AS results slips look like?
    I imagine the same as the slips we got for January exams, which is basically the same as the A Level slips.
    http://www.studential.com/images/a2/aqastatement.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    On the old system an A at A level was worth 10 points and an E was 2 points - a fifth of the value of an A. In the new system an E is worth one third of the value of an A.
    I never thought about that!

It is scandalous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I never thought about that!

It is scandalous!
    For information:
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/new/press/arch.../apps0699.html

ReputationRep:
    i know a girl whose sister got sent her confirmation lettre thet day before results :rolleyes: the uni had messed up whent hey posted them and because she was local (it was liverpool uni) she got it early. guess it took the pressure off tho.

what time do you all get your results. i go to a huge college and we can't have them til 11 cos they need to sort out so many. so annoying cos my twin brother gets his at 9.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    We weren't supposed to get our results until 11ish, but my bio teacher (a deputy head) phoned me up at about 9am and told me to go in. I knew that was a good sign

ReputationRep:
    I have to wait til ten and ten thirty (I go to college and school). Last year it was at 9 :mad: It's like they want to test me!! I'll be a nervous wreck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I imagine the same as the slips we got for January exams, which is basically the same as the A Level slips.
    http://www.studential.com/images/a2/aqastatement.jpg
    Cheers for that, it's nice to know what it'll look like. I was worried it was gonna have grade for AS, then with the AS unit retakes I've done and the A2 ones it was all gonna be confusing and I'd either think Oh no I haven't got in or whoo I have and I'd be wrong because I was looking at the wrong line for a second. hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I have to wait til ten and ten thirty (I go to college and school). Last year it was at 9 :mad: It's like they want to test me!! I'll be a nervous wreck.
    Which one are you getting first? What subjects? I go to a private school to take my psychology exams (self taught) and then to college to take my other a levels in english & film studies. It's possible that the results will come out at the same time from each so i'll be facing a dilemma about where to go first !!! (Though private school probably will be earlier as they have far far less peoples results to sort out..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    Which one are you getting first? What subjects? I go to a private school to take my psychology exams (self taught) and then to college to take my other a levels in english & film studies. It's possible that the results will come out at the same time from each so i'll be facing a dilemma about where to go first !!! (Though private school probably will be earlier as they have far far less peoples results to sort out..)
    I'll be going to school first to pick up English and Sociology results, then to college for Psychology so we're pretty similar in subjects and situation!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.