Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else concerned by the Jewish Exodus? Watch

Jews are leaving European countries at record numbers.

Jewish emigration from France:

Data from JewishVirtualLibrary.org via Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics

Behind this is soaring anti-Semitism, which seems to be something that is largely ignored.

These days it isn't coming from the far right. For example, Front National, formerly an anti-Semitic party, is gaining popularity in the Jewish population. Surveys suggest around 14% of Jews voted for the Front National, compared to around 4% in the 2007 election, and 18% for the general population.

Similar with PEGIDA (except it has been pro-Jewish pretty much from the start)

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...760077,00.html

"Sixty-eight percent of respondents agreed that they do not feel safe in the country, with 40 percent saying that they see Islam as a threat. Sixty-three percent of those surveyed said that the increase in the number of Muslims and the activities of extreme right- and left-wing activists had created an atmosphere of racism and discrimination against Jews. 63 percent said that they had been insulted at least once because of their Jewishness, 51 percent had been threatened and 43 percent had been physically assaulted. 87 percent are worried by the wave of Islamic terrorism that has struck France. 59 percent of respondents said they had family members or friends who had left France over the last few years. Among those who made aliyah to Israel, around half did so in order to increase their feeling of personal safety. Currently around half of France's Jews – about 250,000 people – are considering emigration."

ReputationRep:
    Jews in the UK are growing in population
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7411877.stm

(Original post by Ravenous)
    Jews in the UK are growing.
    That is from 2008 - the situation has changed, especially on the continent

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...sh-population/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...sh-population/
    Not in the UK though. There's even been a small influx of French Jews coming to the UK. Also we generally don't have anywhere near the same kind of Anti Semiitsm problem as other European countries.

In places like France it is a concern though.

Btw remember the main reasons they're in decline elsewhere is low fertility rates and assimilation into the native population.

ReputationRep:
    I am not surprised, I know Jewish Israeli's who are too scared to leave their country. It is not as bad in the UK as many other European countries but there lots of far-right extremist groups who target Jews and they will just increase in power (people like to pick on minorities when they have a problem).

(Original post by Ravenous)
    Jews in the UK are growing.
    That's from 8 years ago, do you have anything more recent?

ReputationRep:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sh-population/
    here's one from last month

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3159761.html

Tuesday 19 January 2016
    A synagogue in London is to start holding services in French because of the number of Jews moving here after a rise in anti-Semitism and terrorist atrocities in France.

The Liberal Jewish Synagogue in St John’s Wood has appointed a French rabbi for the Gallic part of its congregation, which has grown rapidly since Islamist gunmen attacked Charlie Hebdo magazine and a kosher supermarket in Paris in January last year.

London is now the most popular destination after Israel for French Jews
    It's very sad they don't feel safe in the rest of Europe

(Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    I am not surprised, I know Jewish Israeli's who are too scared to leave their country. It is not as bad in the UK as many other European countries but there lots of far-right extremist groups who target Jews and they will just increase in power (people like to pick on minorities when they have a problem).
    There is also a problem of anti-Semitism on the left... and in certain communities

In general, it seems like the far right is adopting a less anti-Semitic tone these days

ReputationRep:

That's from 8 years ago, do you have anything more recent?
    http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/94...h-breakdownThe number of identifying Jews in England and Wales has risen slightly over the past decade, indicating a stability which contrasts with the usual perception of relentless diaspora decline.According to the first results of the 2011 census published this week, 263,346 people answered “Jewish” to the voluntary question on religion, compared with 259,927 in the previous count of 2001.

ReputationRep:
    There is also a problem of anti-Semitism on the left... and in certain communities

In general, it seems like the far right is adopting a less anti-Semitic tone these days
    I think the anti-Semitism from the left is probably more anti-Israel, and the anti-Semitism comes in from stupid people who can't tell the difference between a country and a religion.

ReputationRep:

Guess because they now have the Muslims as prey, and the Jewish community now have the Muslims as predators. It's just a matter of hate/fear - the Jews hate/fear the Muslims far more than the they do the racist far right, and the far right hates the Muslims more than they do the Jews.

The European Jews would not want the Muslims aligning with them as minority communities because that would mean that there would continue be anti-Semitism coming from the far right along with Islamophobia.

I think the anti-Semitism from the left is probably more anti-Israel, and the anti-Semitism comes in from stupid people who can't tell the difference between a country and a religion.
    A lot of people (not the majority, perhaps) seem to use anti-Israeli position as a disguised form of anti-Semitism (why else would they boycott Israel specifically, as opposed to all the other countries that flout international law, the vast majority of which are much less liberal than Israel)

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people (not the majority, perhaps) seem to use anti-Israeli position as a disguised form of anti-Semitism (why else would they boycott Israel specifically, as opposed to all the other countries that flout international law, the vast majority of which are much less liberal than Israel)

Because Israel is not yet considered a pariah state like the other pariah states by the "international community".

ReputationRep:
    I'd say anti-Zionism rather than anti-Semitism is rising but then many Jewish people also strongly object to it as well as non- Jewish people. The murder of Palestinians is an unpopular policy which the Jewish people as a whole are perhaps paying the price. I know that my parents boycott products from Isreal despite one of my mums closest friends being Jewish.

ReputationRep:
    Well i dont blame them. You have a lot of people who seriously believe that the Jews have some sort of white genocide master plan or something.

(Original post by Al-Qamar)
    Well i dont blame them. You have a lot of people who seriously believe that the Jews have some sort of white genocide master plan or something.

Jews are white... I don't understand why people think they are some sort of distinct race.

(Original post by DougallnDougall)
    I'd say anti-Zionism rather than anti-Semitism is rising but then many Jewish people also strongly object to it as well as non- Jewish people. The murder of Palestinians is an unpopular policy which the Jewish people as a whole are perhaps paying the price. I know that my parents boycott products from Isreal despite one of my mums closest friends being Jewish.
    Both are rising... anti-Semitic attacks are rising rapidly, and there is no reason to attack Jews in Europe if you only dislike Israel

Murder of Palestinians? They do a lot to prevent civilian casualties - difficult when Hamas hide behind civilians

https://youtu.be/tN1MkAGuVyY

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that anti-Semitism is still alive in Europe.

I've never quite understood Christian anti-Semitism. Jesus Himself was Jewish, as were all the writers of the Bible. Yes, Jesus was crucified by Jewish Authorities (and the Romans, of course, who were the only ones who could authorise public executions), but newsflash- that was the whole point of His mission. His death and resurrection have enable humanity to be reconciled to God.

ReputationRep:
    Jews are white... I don't understand why people think they are some sort of distinct race.
    Er no. Jews are anyone who follows the Jewish faith. Some white eastern europeans decided to patent it as an ethnicity which is completely wrong. But yeh what can you expect from the neo-nazi anti-jew brigade who are accusing them of genocide of white people.

Both are rising... anti-Semitic attacks are rising rapidly, and there is no reason to attack Jews in Europe if you only dislike Israel

Murder of Palestinians? They do a lot to prevent civilian casualties - difficult when Hamas hide behind civilians

https://youtu.be/tN1MkAGuVyY

I dont plan to sound hostile, but whats the concern? If they leave their countries and migrate to an Jewish state because they feel safer there, then it shouldnt be a problem? I know its quite a sensitive issue, but thats the case.

Secondly, thankfully there hasnt been any anti-semtic attacks (in UK or any other EU) besides in France, and other EU countries have small jewish populations.. Israel's populations growing therefore its obvious jews are going there.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully, I think the anti-Semitic part of the far right is dying out
    Sadly, youre extremely wrong, this is becoming even more apparant in eastern europe rather than the west.

(Original post by navarre)
    It's sad that anti-Semitism is still alive in Europe.I've never quite understood Christian anti-Semitism. Jesus Himself was Jewish, as were all the writers of the Bible. Yes, Jesus was crucified by Jewish Authorities (and the Romans, of course, who were the only ones who could authorise public executions), but newsflash- that was the whole point of His mission. His death and resurrection have enable humanity to be reconciled to God.
    I think its because they see it as Jews rejecting Jesus's teachings
    (Original post by Al-Qamar)
    Er no. Jews are anyone who follows the Jewish faith. Some white eastern europeans decided to patent it as an ethnicity which is completely wrong. But yeh what can you expect from the neo-nazi anti-jew brigade who are accusing them of genocide of white people.
    Thankfully, I think the anti-Semitic part of the far right is dying out

(Original post by Oblivion99)
    I dont plan to sound hostile, but whats the concern? If they leave their countries and migrate to an Jewish state because they feel safer there, then it shouldnt be a problem? I know its quite a sensitive issue, but thats the case.

Secondly, thankfully there hasnt been any anti-semtic attacks (in UK or any other EU) besides in France, and other EU countries have small jewish populations.. Israel's populations growing therefore its obvious jews are going there.
    They shouldn't have to fear for their safety so much to flee Europe. Of course there is a problem if they fear for their safety.

There have been anti-Semitic attacks in the UK... http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ish-population

Also, Israel's population growing doesn't mean that Jews are flocking there. Immigration isn't the only source of population growth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.