Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. I am currently in the midst of applying to university and I have quite a lot of questions to ask as I am rather confused about several things. Any help to any question would be greatly appreciated. To start off with I have listed my university choices

University for the Creative Arts - Unconditional Offer
    Derby University - Conditional Offer for 240 UCAS Points
    Norwich University of the Arts - Conditional Offer for 280 UCAS Points
    De Montfort University - No Reply/Decision Not Made
    Sheffield Hallam University - Unsuccessful/Rejected

1: Do I have to apply for accommodation for my insurance choice aswell as my firm? Currently, Derby is my firm and UCA is my insurance choice. However, UCA is unconditional so I'm temped to put that down as my main choice because it's guaranteed and I'll get the accommodation

2: I applied in late December and I have heard back from all of my choices other than DMU. I have friends that have applied and they have heard back. Is it strange that I have heard nothing back? Should I contact them to confirm if they have received my application

3: On my finance application. I was asked if I would be studying inside or outside of London. UCA is in Farnham. Which is classed as London. What do I put for this?

4: If I choose to put my unconditional offer as my firm choice, what do I then put as an insurance? none of my offers can possibly be lower than that one so do i just leave it blank???

Any knowledge or personal experience would be very helpful

TLR Read the questions and answer as appropriate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan1996)
    Hello there. I am currently in the midst of applying to university and I have quite a lot of questions to ask as I am rather confused about several things. Any help to any question would be greatly appreciated. To start off with I have listed my university choices

University for the Creative Arts - Unconditional Offer
    Derby University - Conditional Offer for 240 UCAS Points
    Norwich University of the Arts - Conditional Offer for 280 UCAS Points
    De Montfort University - No Reply/Decision Not Made
    Sheffield Hallam University - Unsuccessful/Rejected

1: Do I have to apply for accommodation for my insurance choice aswell as my firm? Currently, Derby is my firm and UCA is my insurance choice. However, UCA is unconditional so I'm temped to put that down as my main choice because it's guaranteed and I'll get the accommodation
    Depends on the policy of the university. Some will expect you to, and some will tell you not to. Put the university you want to go to most as your firm. Don't be swayed by the unconditional. It's a marketing tool by the university to make people choose them when they wouldn't have done in the first place, exactly as you are doing.
    2: I applied in late December and I have heard back from all of my choices other than DMU. I have friends that have applied and they have heard back. Is it strange that I have heard nothing back? Should I contact them to confirm if they have received my application
    They have until May to make decisions. If the other 4 have communicated with you, then your application has been received. Contact them if it will make you feel better, but for art courses, this is the busy season.
    3: On my finance application. I was asked if I would be studying inside or outside of London. UCA is in Farnham. Which is classed as London. What do I put for this?
    If it is classed as London, then put London. If you are wrong, believe me, they will tell you.
    4: If I choose to put my unconditional offer as my firm choice, what do I then put as an insurance? none of my offers can possibly be lower than that one so do i just leave it blank???
    You cannot have an insurance if you have an unconditional firm. There are no conditions you can fail to meet. Make very sure it's where you want to go, and remember, it's unconditional for their benefit, not yours. There is no going back.
    Any knowledge or personal experience would be very helpful

TLR Read the questions and answer as appropriate
    See bold above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.