Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Aghhh!
    Need an A in Higher Chemistry but I'm struggling. I do well in class and understand everything (definitely not a hot shot but I pay attention and get it right) but when it comes to tests I am just doing badly.
    Well not badly, but considering the A I want, my Cs aren't cutting it.
    Anyone have revision tips and so forth?
    I attend Chemistry clinic and work through problems with my teacher and I do revise quite a bit for my tests although I don't do many past papers.
    Help ((
    Also any people that can help me to get through the problem solving questions in Chemistry? It's like I face a brick wall with them.
    :confused::argh::ashamed2::banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaiBr13)
    Aghhh!
    Need an A in Higher Chemistry but I'm struggling. I do well in class and understand everything (definitely not a hot shot but I pay attention and get it right) but when it comes to tests I am just doing badly.
    Well not badly, but considering the A I want, my Cs aren't cutting it.
    Anyone have revision tips and so forth?
    I attend Chemistry clinic and work through problems with my teacher and I do revise quite a bit for my tests although I don't do many past papers.
    Help ((
    Also any people that can help me to get through the problem solving questions in Chemistry? It's like I face a brick wall with them.
    :confused::argh::ashamed2::banghead:
    "although I don't do many past papers"-There's your problem

Understanding everything in class is great, but in the end you are going to sit the exam so its better to get used to the type of questions that SQA asks you by doing many past papers. Maybe start a few now, get used to the format and understand the questions (as well as the answers) and then do more revision. Nearer to the exams do as much past papers as you can and you should do fine

ReputationRep:
    i got A*, thats the only one i got a* in, just do past papers bro
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by money-for-all)
    i got A*, thats the only one i got a* in, just do past papers bro
    Can't get an A* in a Scottish Higher m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is your maths?
    There are quite a lot of calculations in chemistry(Problem Solving), they are not hard calculations but if you don't have good numeracy basis then you might struggle.
    Yeah past paper is the answer. Especially multiple choice questions!

ReputationRep:
    Past papers bro

ReputationRep:
    Maths I'm not great at but my teacher says the calculations are the bits I'm doing the best at. It's ones that are more problem solving-y I'm struggling with, but thanks I'll definitely focus on past papers and keep working on my maths
    Do learn conversion factors, you can apply it to almost any chemistry calculation if used correctly, and saves you from being confused with all the maths involved.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a bright red textbook for new higher chem. It helped me last year. Also, sharpen up your data handling skills.

ReputationRep:
    I will definitely, thanks
    Do you know the name of that textbook by any chance?
    No problem - here is the link: http://www.brightredpublishing.co.uk...gher-chemistry
    You can also buy it fromWaterstones.

ReputationRep:
    Okay bought this book and it's great.. You're a lifesaver! Understand everything so much better now.
    Glad to help
    Also remember, past papers are key as well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.