cold feet about university Watch

zoeelizabeth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've wanted to go to university for so, so long. Ever since primary school, it has always been something I have wanted to do and experience. But now I am months away from going and I feel really, really sick about the whole thing.

I'm struggling to pick my firm/insurance choices but I have no idea why. Each university I have applied to has made me an offer, and they are very similar courses with very similar atmospheres. I've visited them, and there are 2 that I think I am likely to get the grades for so obviously I should pick those, but I'm still panicky about the whole thing.

On top of it all, I'm stressing about A-levels in general, I feel like I am going to just mess everything up and not make the grades for the universities.
I was so confident in myself and what I wanted to do until last year, and now I'm a bit of a nervous wreck.

I don't really have a question, I just thought I'd make a post about my stress..
EmilyPlatypus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I kind of feel the same way, about messing up on A levels. I'm lacking motivation and I'm so scared I won't meet my offer
I'm also getting cold feet about university because all my family are saying they don't want me to leave and I'm having second thoughts.

I think it's just nerves and pressure of getting the grades maybe? (I don't really have any suggestions to overcome this I was just letting you know you're not alone thinking this way)
zetamcfc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Relax.
Jamie S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hit a blunt.
justalawyer1998
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Put things in perspective and think of long-term goals
bisolarsystem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i'm literally the same rn
i'm scared i won't get the grades i need and i'll have to repeat. also, i'm struggling with picking between two unis aswell! i'd like to go to both tbh idec. there's a difference between mine though. one is more rural and the other a city.

i'm also scared about living in a new country without my family. i'm from ireland and i'll (hopefully) be moving to Wales or Scotland for uni.

you're not alone~
zoeelizabeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmilyPlatypus)
I kind of feel the same way, about messing up on A levels. I'm lacking motivation and I'm so scared I won't meet my offer
I'm also getting cold feet about university because all my family are saying they don't want me to leave and I'm having second thoughts.

I think it's just nerves and pressure of getting the grades maybe? (I don't really have any suggestions to overcome this I was just letting you know you're not alone thinking this way)
It's nice knowing I'm not alone, and my family are the same too! And I have no motivation either! It's so stressful atm

Thanks for replying tho
zoeelizabeth
Rep:
?
(Original post by bisolarsystem)
i'm scared i won't get the grades i need and i'll have to repeat. also, i'm struggling with picking between two unis aswell! i'd like to go to both tbh idec. there's a difference between mine though. one is more rural and the other a city.

i'm also scared about living in a new country without my family. i'm from ireland and i'll (hopefully) be moving to Wales or Scotland for uni.

you're not alone~
moving to another country must be wayyyy more stressful when I go I will only be a couple of hours away and I can get the train..
will you get to visit your universities? if not, use google maps, that's what I'm doing rn :P
bisolarsystem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zoeelizabeth)
moving to another country must be wayyyy more stressful when I go I will only be a couple of hours away and I can get the train..
will you get to visit your universities? if not, use google maps, that's what I'm doing rn :P
it is and that's good. if you feel homesick you can just go home and lol i might have to do that, it's a long journey and really expensive.
also what factors are you considering, you know with the choosing of unis?
zoeelizabeth
Rep:
?
it is and that's good. if you feel homesick you can just go home and lol i might have to do that, it's a long journey and really expensive.
also what factors are you considering, you know with the choosing of unis?
Well, I was comparing Liverpool and Leeds, and I found a list of questions to help me decide, but I'm still stuck

I've attached the document I made so you can have a look

[edit]
I also used Unistats to help me with stuff like career prospects etc.
Attached files
bisolarsystem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks!
It's so hard!!! I just don't wanna pick a university that I won't enjoy or live in a place that i'll hate. Is anyone else helping you decide? And are any of your friends going there?

Also have you started studying?
zoeelizabeth
Rep:
?
Thanks!
It's so hard!!! I just don't wanna pick a university that I won't enjoy or live in a place that i'll hate. Is anyone else helping you decide? And are any of your friends going there?

Also have you started studying?
Nah, all my friends are sorting out their own stuff, I dont want to bother them with my problems lol.

I keep trying to get myself to start studying, but I actually have no motivation. I just try and attend all the revision sessions I can, I even made a revision timetable but I just need to get myself motivated otherwise nothing will work
bisolarsystem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
all my friends are staying in ireland but i'm not sad about that tbh

and im the same! i have a problem with concentrating so i just zone out when i try but i don't go to revision sessions because i don't work well in big groups. i prefer one-to-one tutoring but no teacher offers that
zoeelizabeth
Rep:
?
all my friends are staying in ireland but i'm not sad about that tbh

and im the same! i have a problem with concentrating so i just zone out when i try but i don't go to revision sessions because i don't work well in big groups. i prefer one-to-one tutoring but no teacher offers that
have you tried asking them if they have any free periods where they could help you revise topics? I do that with my philosophy teacher who is always willing to give up his time to help me
bisolarsystem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zoeelizabeth)
have you tried asking them if they have any free periods where they could help you revise topics? I do that with my philosophy teacher who is always willing to give up his time to help me
I tried that once and i got in trouble
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

you're not alone~
I've moved from N.Ireland to Scotland, so I know the feeling. It's hard at first not seeing your family and watching the rest of your hallmates go home easily, but it does get easier.
bisolarsystem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glad to hear that! Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.63%
Pop (231)
24.81%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.69%